My '49 B1B build (long term post)

I decided to start this to post to document my build. I just joined yesterday and am probably already driving people insane with all my questions. This way folks can follow along if they wish to or choose not to. Feel free to tell me what I'm doing right/wrong and share your opinions on the direction I should take. I'm hoping to lean heavily on some of you as this progresses.

Full disclosure: I will take opinions with a grain of salt and I do not respond well to negativity. Please try to keep it light and I hope you enjoy. Thanks so much.

Here goes......

• Like 3

Here's the old girl in all her farm fresh glory!

1949 Dodge B1B 108 wheelbase. Original 218 flathead with 3spd manual. Showing 19,000 miles and based on the wear I'm finding, I believe it may be actual miles. Everything is (at least to my knowledge) original and overall it is in pretty good shape. It had sat for at least the past 40 years and the engine would not spin at all.

post-7946-0-03803800-1428161104_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr.Dids
  • Like 1

I've now owned this truck approx. two weeks and this is how it looks now. Things have come apart unbelievably well. I've only broken two bolts which is mind blowing for me considering the age of this thing.

post-7946-0-48822600-1428161235_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-18409900-1428161254_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My initial direction was to throw in a 350/350 (diehard GM fan) and rat rod the thing. I've since fallen in love with the simplicity and just plain coolness of the flathead so it's staying. It was well and truly seized up (rusted, not worn) and much of the internals needed, shall we say, persuasion to come out. Most of it came out in one piece, the exception being a few valves and some guides which were damaged in the process. At this moment, everything has been dealt with and the crank, pistons, cam and valves are back in. Just waiting on a new oil pump pickup screen (which was in pieces when i pulled the pan) and it's ready to seal up.

Sorry for the lack of engine pics but my wife tends to get fussy about greasy hands on her precious camera. lol

Current direction is keep the flathead and 3spd, re-gear so it will hopefully drive highway speeds (I know I won't be winning any drag races), and do a mild restoration on the body (rust repair, new bed floor, etc.). I'm not interested in a completely original truck, just something to have fun with so it won't be original paint. Right now I'm leaning toward hot rod black or something similar. I would also like to lower it but the jury's still out on that one.

• Like 1

Suggest you go to the "resources" link at the top of this page and read everything. There is some valve guide instillation information you may not have found in the service manual.

Where in Pennsylvania are you located? There may be other forum members in your area. Go to the members map found on the top of this page under the "members" link. You can fill in your location if you so desire.

• Like 1

Suggest you go to the "resources" link at the top of this page and read everything. There is some valve guide instillation information you may not have found in the service manual.

Where in Pennsylvania are you located? There may be other forum members in your area. Go to the members map found on the top of this page under the "members" link. You can fill in your location if you so desire.

Thanks, I did as you suggested and there is a lot of great info in the resources section! I found out by sheer dumb luck that the valve guides were oriented differently when I went to install them. Reading this could definitely save someone some trouble though. At the risk of being profound, it's a great resource.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so what was intended to be a mild resto has now become a frame off. The good news is the brakes are completely rebuilt, new seals, gas tank cleaned out, and everything coated in chassis saver.

post-7946-0-48839700-1430683390_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Dids
  • Like 2

Here's a shot of my poor man's rotisserie in action. It may not be the most elegant solution but it made repairs to the floor and top windshield frame (@#$& squirrels!!) much easier.

post-7946-0-83525600-1430683783_thumb.jpeg

Finally things are headed in the reconstruction direction instead of deconstruction. Cab is repaired, in primer, and back on the frame. Running boards are repaired and temporarily bolted on. Here I'm checking the fitment of the door before final finishing. I don't proclaim to be a body man but I'm pretty happy with the doors considering the entire bottoms were gone when I started.

post-7946-0-33461600-1430684073_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Anyone have thoughts or opinions on laminated versus tempered glass? Some of my door windows are either cracked or broken. They appear to be laminated and I'm debating between replacing them with laminated glass or switching to tempered such as every modern car I'm aware of uses. Aside from originality what are the benefits, if any, to sticking with laminated glass in the side windows?

Thoughts???

• 5 weeks later...

Wow! I feel motivated just reading this myself and seeing all the progress. Still behind on pics but let's see....

The doors are attached. The bed is loosely attached and fenders bolted on. The front clip is attached and the tailgate (which I originally thought was destined for the scrap yard) is on. Today I attached the tailgate chain brackets, some "new" (to the truck) chains and hooks (one original and one scavenged). When I got the truck, only the passenger side chain bracket was still in place. Since I had it as a mirror image pattern, I decided to just make the driver side and I think it turned out pretty well.

The tailgate needs a bit of body work and the hood needs finished (center section is done but the two "wings" needs attention) but the rest of the body is finished, primed and ready for paint. This part feels never-ending but it is encouraging to see that it's only been a month since I posted the pics of just the cab on the frame.

The interior is still blown apart but is mostly painted and the heater box and cowl vent mechanism are in place.

The "good" news is I only have a seat base and inside windshield trim to make/rebuild......... oh, and the bed floor. Everything else is here and ready to bolt on or can be purchased easily.

Deep sigh.... I think I can, I think I can..... lol

More pics forthcoming.

Edited by Mr.Dids

WOW  your doing great,  a true inspiration    are you sure you didn't work for a NASCAR pit crew   well when its all done you will feel the satisfaction one smile and thumbs up at a time when your going down the road.......

• Like 1

Your progress is amazing and the truck is looking good. You asked for suggestions, so here's mine - paint it any color you want EXCEPT "hot rod black". IMO, you will have a very unique truck so why not have a unique color too? There's a bazillion hot rod black cars and trucks out there. Take it or leave it, still your truck.

• Like 2

..... Running boards are repaired and temporarily bolted on....

I often reccomend doing this,or bolting plywood on if not the running boards themselves aren't available.

WHY?? Cuz them damn shin stabbing ankle biting sob's can really ruin a fun day. :huh:

Looks like a fun build so far. ^_^

48D

• Like 1

I often reccomend doing this,or bolting plywood on if not the running boards themselves aren't available.

WHY?? Cuz them damn shin stabbing ankle biting sob's can really ruin a fun day. :huh:

48D

this x1000

WOW  your doing great,  a true inspiration    are you sure you didn't work for a NASCAR pit crew   well when its all done you will feel the satisfaction one smile and thumbs up at a time when your going down the road.......

Thank you. I've been fortunate enough to have some time between jobs and I've been treating this truck like a 40+ hour/week job. I haven't even counted hours because then I might expect to get paid for my time if I ever sell it down the road. lol

Your progress is amazing and the truck is looking good. You asked for suggestions, so here's mine - paint it any color you want EXCEPT "hot rod black". IMO, you will have a very unique truck so why not have a unique color too? There's a bazillion hot rod black cars and trucks out there. Take it or leave it, still your truck.

As far as color, I've now decided on a sort of charcoal metallic. I'm one of those nuts who enjoy painting (not bodywork though) so I may change it even after it's done.

48D

Haha, agreed!