Normal oil pressure

Darbone85737

I have a newly rebuilt 218 engine in my P18.  I finally have it starting and running beautifully.  When started cold the oil pressure gauge is reading over 60 psi.  That seems high but I haven't run the engine long enough for it to get warm yet. 

Is this normal and what is the usual oil pressure at idle when the engine is warm? 

relevant on temp and engine speed..it would drop back a bit...at normal driving temp and rpm it will be 30-40 area...the rule of thumb is 10 lbs per 1000 RPM..at idle it can be quite low by looking at your gauge..it is also rule of thumb any indication of pressure at low idle is also good..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gdaddypaul

Hear that big sigh of relief? THANKS Plymouthy! Drove my B3B for about 40 miles, for the first time that far on a warm Spring day. Oil pressure was its usual 40psi, plus or minus at just about anything above idle (cold or hot) but I got kinda twitchy when at about 160 degrees showing on the temp gauge, the OP dropped to almost nothing when idling at a stop light. By the way, my travels were to a local-wish car show, where "Tonka" was judged one of the top 25 in a 200+ vehicle show! What a major hoot!