My ebay find gone wrong

Grdpa's 50 Dodge

This stainless NOS fender molding popped up on the bay.   Seller 'says' it fits 49-50-51 Dodge front fender and he says its 54" long.

So I contact him and ask which front fender it is for?  And I asked if he had a part number which I didnt think was unusual given its NOS?

He writes back and must think I am an idiot(we wont tell him how close he may be).  Says well it fits "EITHER" side and no part number.

I measure mine and it measures 55" long so red flag here,,,look in my book and their are seperate part numbers for 50's right and left fenders and all the rest.  My luck is If I would buy it it might turn out to be a rear fender mold.

I think I will pass ,,,whatcathink???

PASS!!

The problem with stainless steel NOS moldings.

NOS New Old Stock moldings of the stainless steel kind have NO part numbers on them. They often came in a paper sleeve with a faint part number. Over the years there are 1,000's of unidentified NOS moldings.

So it is common to find inexperienced eBay sellers with unidentified moldings with false claims for application.

In addition to the right left side, the different models of the SAME year often had slightly different molding lengths (especially two door sedans, 7 passenger sedans and suburbans).

The cast or "pot" metal moldings have part numbers embossed on them that make them easy to I.D.

Not so much with the stainless steel moldings.

I have seen barrels of NOS molding get scrapped because they didnt know what they fit and they didnt have the time or care to research the application.