Exporting a vehicle from the USA into Canada

T120

For those interested in importing a vehicle into Canada from the USA, there is now an extra step involved - (expense). An ITN,(Internal Transaction Number),is now required.To obtain an ITN,a person wishing to export a vehicle from the USA into Canada must now employ the services of a customs broker.The fee in my case was $125.00 USD. Not a problem,just an extra step and expense.Other than that,nothing has changed. The appropriate documentation for export including the ITN document has to be submitted to US Customs for approval 72 hours prior to export date.

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

When I checked with US Customs to ensure my documentation was in order ,the official I spoke with advised me of the new requirement and said the change was initiated by the Canadian government and it took effect in the fall of 2014....FreeTrade? :) .....I 'm only guessing mind you,but with our currency close to parity at the time -maybe there was a concern of money going in the wrong direction ? ;)  

Edited by Ralph D25cpe