How does this oil filter work?

Lloyd

I am looking at the inside cap of my oil filter canister. Cant figure out how it works. I know the oil should go in, pass thru the filter then go out. Simple enough but I dont have the filter element for the filter. If you look at the picture of the inside of the cap it comes in thru the side hole and goes out the middle hole. Simple enough but with a canister type filter the In hole looks like it would come into the middle (same place it goes out) or on top of the filter since it is so close to the center. Also if you look closely at the underside of the cap it looks like the In hole is dented up and actually see some cut marks around the hole. Like someone removed something - a tube or something?

Is this cap missing something or has it been modified? I would really like to use it because I like the way it looks. If I can use it would anyone know what part number and make of filter I could use with it? It says Baldwin D7 but have done some searches and come up with nothing on that number.

post-6384-0-30057900-1427639177_thumb.jpg

post-6384-0-94255800-1427639189_thumb.jpg

post-6384-0-80623300-1427639203_thumb.jpg

Maybe original application was a secondary fuel filter for a diesel engine?

You didn't show the inside of the canister but by the cap it appears that the oil enters the can and flows around the filter element. It would then pass through the element and follow the center post up into the cap to the "Out" port

Hey Merle, yes thats how it works. But I think the IN hole is to close to the center to drop oil on the outside of the filter. It looks like it would drop the oil into the center of the canister filter, right where it is getting pumped out - unless it is a really skinny filter. Also it looks like around the IN hole it is dented inwards and cut around the edges so I am wondering if there was more to this filter then what I have. Someone modified it by removing something that was around the inside of the IN hole, maybe a tube or something that directed the oil towards the outside of the filter??

If thats the case then this top I have is useless.

Edited by Lloyd

Maybe original application was a secondary fuel filter for a diesel engine?

Hey Ralph, thanks. I dont know about the original application, not even sure if this was the original oil filter canister. But its what was filtering the oil when I got the car.

Even if it was a fuel filter I still dont see how it filtered the fuel with the IN hole in the position it is. If the filter was the same diameter as the canister then I dont see any way the fuel or oil got pumped to the outside of the filter element. It had to have been a really skinny element for the fluid to get pumped to the outside of the element. Unless something missing from the top??

Hey Tim, I did go to the Baldwin website and there are some cross reference filters. Don't see any markings on the canister itself, only the top and it says Baldwin, D7 Filter. So I don't know how to look up the canister.

Main question, I was hoping someone had a canister that looked like this one and could tell me if the inside top looked the same. I am fairly certain that someone modified the IN hole, I think it use to stick out just like the other side. It looks to be dented in flush with the top of the lid and like something was cut from around it.

I am looking right now for another type of filter system, bolt on spin on mounts are convenient. But I was hoping to use something a little more of the same look. I'll find another complete canister unit hopefully that will fit in the same place.

Thanks.

Sorry..at no time did you state you searched online...also you say it appears to be modified inlet on the lid but explain the man going to the trouble to apply raised letters marking the ports...I will say I do not know the  actual application, oil, fuel, hydraulic or for that matter just a water separator. Come Monday you can call Baldwin and get the skinny on this with application, replacement filter numbers and all.  They are very much pro people and strive to keep their filters at the top of the application chart in the industry..

No problem, I appreciate the feedback. I always try and do a search on this forum and the web before I post questions. Been trying to figure this out how this could filter oil with what I'm looking at since day before yesterday.

Raised letters? If you are talking about the yellow letters on the picture showing the underside I put them there in Photoshop.

But look at the IN hole on the underside, the last pic, wouldnt you say it looks like someone modified that port?

I just dont think this canister is going to work as intended. I'll do a little more research on it but right now Im leaning towards replacing the whole thing.

Appears to me that pressurized oil enters the filter housing at the "in" port and completely fills the filter housing. The pressurized oil then saturates the filter media and is forced through the media to exit through the top and escapes through a port in the filter housing top cap to the exit outlet to return to the low pressure crankcase.  

Run a wire or pipe cleaner through the exit port and see if it is open to the top port. I cannot believe that anyone would have modified the top cap. To me this is an easy explanation.

Hello Don,

Yes that would be how a filter works. On this type it should come in on one side of the filter, pass thru the filter and exit out the OUT port. The OUT hole does come from the center hole on the inside of the cap.

But looking at where the IN port is located it appears that the oil will be coming into the center of the cartridge, same place it is going out.

Looking closely at the metal around the IN port it looks like it has been modified, bent in and I see an irregular cut hole around the port itself. Hard to believe it came from the factory like that.

post-6384-0-96294600-1427659576_thumb.jpg

post-6384-0-81815800-1427659663_thumb.jpg

I held my finger over the top bolt hole and blew thru the center hole on the bottom of the cap and it does come out the OUT port on top. Blowing thru the IN port it will only come out the IN port on the bottom.

Attached a few more pics. I think somebody along the way bent the bottom of the cap up around the IN port for some reason and I see the steel cut uneven around the port. Be my guess somethings missing or broke off and it was either modified to compensate or it got dented when it broke off. Be nice if someone had a canister top I could look at. I tried the Baldwin website to try and look up the canister as Tim suggested but all I really have on it for ID is the filter number.

Im not going to use it, Ill be looking for another oil filter set up. To bad, it cleaned up real nice.

Wouldnt know a filter set up that bolts right onto the head would you? The mounting head bolt holes are 4-1/4 inch apart to mount directly to the head, the canister is 3-7/8 inches diameter to use the existing bracket.

Or I have been looking at this base:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CBSFUE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=GD1XZ0GEYDHF&coliid=I4LS50GF4X185

Gonna have to get something.

Did you ever get your wiring harness finished? Didnt see any updates on the thread for a while. I got a harness from RI, will be tackling it next month. Just took the glass from the dash and sent off to Classic Car Restoration:

http://showcarquality.com/dashGlass.htm#*DETAILS

To get it fixed up. Looked pretty bad, hardly read anything on it.

Right now Im swapping out the Temp and Fuel gauge with some NOS I found on ebay. Been getting a lot of stuff off ebay.

post-6384-0-88697300-1427661886_thumb.jpg

post-6384-0-99741900-1427661895_thumb.jpg

post-6384-0-98609100-1427661908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lloyd

Does the cartridge filter go all the way to the top? If it does then the oil coming in thru the IN port is not going to make it to the outside of the filter element, pass thru the element to the center and go back out.The top of the filter will either block off the IN port or the oil will go into the center of the filter cartridge, churn around inside the filter then go right back out. No filtration..

Doesn't the filter have to go all the way to the top just to seal off the top hole where the oil will go out?? It has to because there is no other way out. So with the IN port right next to the center OUT port how does the oil get to the outside of the filter cartridge? Unless there is a special cone shape of cartridge or a very skinny cartridge that will seal between the IN and OUT ports.

I must be missing something here.

Sure, heres a few more. Theres nothing in it, just an empty canister. But this is all there is.

The center bolt is solid. With a canister in there, will the oil come in, pass thru the filter and go back out thru the center?

post-6384-0-36422100-1427669440_thumb.jpg

post-6384-0-66547400-1427669449_thumb.jpg

post-6384-0-49525600-1427669462_thumb.jpg

post-6384-0-89479900-1427669470_thumb.jpg

Dont know about a real filter, when I first took it apart what came out looked like a roll of paper towels. I believe it was but it was pretty crusty and falling apart. But all the parts I have laid out is what there was.

Dont know about a real filter, when I first took it apart what came out looked like a roll of paper towels. I believe it was but it was pretty crusty and falling apart. But all the parts I have laid out is what there was.

You may well have a filter housing that was designed to take a roll of toilet paper. Those were designed to have the flow go length wise through the roll and it looks like maybe yours will do that.

For what it is worth, some people swear by those and you can still buy that type of filter (search for "Frantz oil filter").

Something is missing, or the filter element itself is designed to seal up against the the cover so the oil will be directed from the center up into the cover. However, a quick search on the Baldwin site shows that the D7 is an obsolete filter with no replacements.

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/pdfs/obsoletes.pdf

Merle

Whats NLA?

The filter D7 is obsolete but by putting D7 into Baldwins cross reference page I came up with a Baldwin filter PT108 as replacement. Dimensions:

O.D.: 2 29/32 (73.8)

I.D.: 27/32 (21.4)

Length: 4 1/2 (114.3)

I know this was suppose to be for different brands comparable to Baldwin but it does show a filter:

Baldwin PT108.

Did you come up with the same Tim?

OD is really small compared to the actual diameter of the canister which is about 4 inches.

Actually if the OD is only about 3 inches then that would take up about 1-1/2 inches from the center out. Thats a skinny filter! Let me go measure and see if the inlet port falls on the outside of that. Just so happens the canister is about 9 inches high which should take two of those cartridges stacked. Let me go measure and I'll get back.

Edited by Lloyd