From Small to Big

Dodgeb4ya

Can you identify these 1946-55 Mopar flathead engines as to which car or truck line they belong to.. and for example overall length and approx cubic inch of each engine?

They are all carefully lined up equal at the machined bell housing surface for length comparison.

Bob

post-302-0-65739600-1427603578_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-62415800-1427603593_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-16093800-1427603607_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-29615800-1427603627_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-86670200-1427603641_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OMG Tim! You are the winner and so fast...

It took me hours to set those engines up and now it's all over :(

The chocolate frosted cake is in the mail ! :D

The plan was really just to get all four 1946-55 or 6 flathead engines lined up to show block length and size comparison.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

My guess is What Tim said.... only reversed..... ( from "small to big") LOL :^).

Love the comparison photos

OMG Tim! You are the winner and so fast...

It took me hours to set those engines up and now it's all over :(

The chocolate frosted cake is in the mail ! :D

The plan was really just to get all four 1946-55 or 6 flathead engines lined up to show block length and size comparison.

Bob

You win the daily show and tell contest :lol:

I might not send the cake....Only two of the engines ci have been correctly identified.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Bob..you need to show a bit of the end of the engine...bell housing and crank flange..if you want the actual application..that may be a bit harder to do without the very car to draw a line to...as for the 230/218 there are three different cranks..and would need maybe 5 pictures to get the line up correct..possibily 6 for all applications..

getting into Canadaian or DeSoto variants could even add more to the list...does not seem to be any early exposed cylinder babies in the bunch...and again hard to tell by just looking the smaller 201 and such is in the mix..at least for myself...do not bother much with these 6's on the average..

enjoy the cake for yourself...got coffee and cookies on my desk now...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Tim...

The pictures are of enough detail to be able to ID the displacements of the two original un-identified engines.

I do have more pics of the rear of the engines.... but no you cannot see them!

I did tease you a bit with the winning cake but now I need a bit more info!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

First small engine is not a P-15 as the bell and wire loom are not right so I will go with 230. Second engine has twin belts and most likely had power steering although the pump is not behind the generator so I will go with a 265 crashler. I don't know the third as I am not sure of the straight 8 displacements. The 4th is a big, big block with air brakes.

My big question is where is the red truck? It is not parked where it belongs. You been out driving around the neighbor woods?

P9230031.jpg

Don both you and Tim get the cake and can eat it too..if you get it! 

Tim did identify the straight 8 and the 413 six.

...and Don you did identify both the 265 Chrysler six which does have P/S-(I do have the pump that goes on the generator)    and the 230 P26 six which is a 1955 engine and because of the plug wire loom which makes it easy to ID it as a later 230.

As for where is the big red truck..I had to get it out of the back of the garage as some of the engines were stashed behind it. Plus it needed a little driving exercise.