Worthington chief tractor

Young Ed

I found and Dad bought a Worthington Chief tractor. As you will see from the pictures a large portion of them are made from Dodge truck parts. It has a T112 engine with a Chrysler Industrial badge on it. Yesterday Dad and I made an almost 700 mile round trip to retrieve it. Today the gas tank got removed for access to the wiring. Troubleshooting that appears to say the grounds are bad leading to it not turning over. While the starter was out I was able to use a prybar and turn the engine a full revolution. Few spots did feel harder to turn like there was some compression but I don't think I felt that 6 times. Something is up with the clutch or trans. As I turned it over it would go into a different gear but so far at any given position the most we've gotten is 2 of the 5 gears. At various positions though it did go into all 4 and reverse. Brakes are stuck which is hopefully the only reason the rear wheels are locked.

IMAG1865.jpg

IMAG1876.jpg

IMAG1874.jpg

• Like 4

Does anyone recognize these gauges? As a lot of this was sourced from various things I am hoping these were too and I can find an intact glass and maybe some better gauages. I know the 36? Plymouth and maybe some other years used a cluster like this.

IMAG1875.jpg

IMAG1881.jpg

IMAG1880.jpg

IMAG1879.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

Never heard of or seen one of those before. It should be very interesting. Not sure what the gauges are from but most likely a Mopar product of some kind. I'm sure someone on the forum will have the answer. Good luck with the project!

Chiefs were last model produced. Mostly to tow gang mowers on golf courses. Some were sold to the armed forces as light aircraft tugs. Jacobson bought the company assets in 1950. Existing components were used by Jacobson till gone. Company was located in Stroudsburg, Pa.

http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/tractors/low-priced-fun-the-worthington-tractor.aspx

I seem to remember a similar vehicle when we picked Brainerd ;)

Yes tried to buy that one too but he wanted 3 times what we paid for this one.

IMAG0718.jpg

IMAG0717.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

I have had a Worthington Golf Chief for many years now.   It has the Chrysler industiral six, with a truck 4 speed, gear reduction box and a full  floating rear with the 16" Budd wheels on the rear (9.00-16's).   It is almost identical to the one that you just purchased.   These were made in PA over several years using different components and were used primarily as tow or mowing vehicles.    The first round used Model T, and later Model A and B power trains as a basic drawbar tractor.   The one that you have was manufactured from 39-49 using the MoPar driveline.   Later versions used the Ford 8N tractor engine.   There were several models available in different wheelbases.  I have seen 1 MoPar powered unit with a gravity dump box on the back, and another with a wrecker type boom.    Since there is no suspension in the rear, and the front is just a pivoting assembly these are a hard riding workhorse and you will soon see the need for the suspended seat assembly.  Its a good fun project.   I think the gas cap you're looking for is nothing more than a threaded pipe nipple with a cap on it- at least that is what is on mine.   I have all kinds of spare MoPar driveline parts so my project is going to be pretty cheaply done.    Best of luck.  Mike

Edited by MBFowler
  • Like 1

Cool that gas cap shouldn't be too hard to rig up then. As for the gauges the 46-48 crosley seem to use the exact same setup with the exception of red printing instead of white.

What are your plans for this. Stock, Hot Rod, Rat Rod, Lawn mower?

It will stay mostly stock and end up at the cabin to drive around the woods and do various duties like towing the utility cart, log splitter, or the boat down to the lake.

I think there is one those in the local Historical building.  I always thought is was a home made truck/puller thing.  I have work to there and I will get pictures for you next time I go. 

Looks fun.

I think there is one those in the local Historical building.  I always thought is was a home made truck/puller thing.  I have work to there and I will get pictures for you next time I go. 

Looks fun.

Thanks Todd that would be great. There is some stuff done to this one that we are unsure of. It won't be a 100% restoration but I wouldn't want to undo something that was there all along.

Although it says Ford on the front hood, it was sold as a Worthington.  It was given to my son the Spring before he went in the Air Force in '00.   It was used by the Watershed of NYC to mow the grass on both the Neversink and Rondout Reservoirs.  As far as we could find out at the time, it was a 1953 Jubilee

post-668-0-05557400-1427749274_thumb.jpg

Worked on the tractor a bit today. Swapped out the grill with a better one. Still needs some help the understructure that it bolts to is damaged from whatever crash damaged the grill.

IMAG1889.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, 1940plymouth said:

How about some photos of the '40, I am not aware of him having that car, if I am, I have forgotten,  sure would appreciate the photos if possible