What sheet metal do you use for body replacements?

1940_dodge

I use hoods, trunks, roof panels that are relatively flat, from salvage yard cars and trucks. Mid 70-80 Chevy truck hoods are a favorite. Cut the edges off, strip the inner panel, panel adhesive blobs off and you have about 8 square feet of CHEAP steel.

If you want to buy new, 18 or 20 works. Most of the sheet metal of the era was 19. There's overlaps in the specs as to what is classified as 18, 19, or 20. 18 will weld easier than the 20, 20 is easier to fabricate and make bends, curves, radiuses etc.

• Like 1

your call on the 18 0r the twenty..on the floor and trunk, rocker patches, firewall and torque box area and such use18;   side panels are say 20 if that is what you can get..I think the original is the harder to find stocked but yet available...19.   But like a lot of folks here I cut roof panels and hood panels etc from the older vehicles and use this quite extensively also..with scrap prices down as it is..slip a dollar or few at the local body shop scrap bin and you may walk away with a few good worthwhile panels...usually these pieces are going to store better as they be painted...

I make all my patch panels from scratch out of 18 ga, works well for me. I'd also recommend 19 ga but I have an easier time getting a sheet of 18 from the local steel supplier.