Winter Progress

To All:

Because of the cold weather, snow, and ice during the past several months, I spent more time in my shop working on the restoration of my '51 B3C truck than any previous winter, and I made substantial progress.

I installed the RI Wiring harnesses and, much to my pleasant surprise, everything worked!! I brought in Safelite to install the front and rear window glass, including the curved rear corner windows - which were a real "bear". I am sure that those two guys will never want to come back for another job.

Next, I installed the running boards, spotlight, hub caps steering wheel and horn ring, and a number of other minor parts. All in all, I has been a good winter despite the bad weather.

My next project is to install the innards and glass of the doors. As shown in one of the attachments, that will be a real jig saw puzzle. I am sure that the Shop Manual will be helpful, but is there any other install help that I should be aware of?

Barry

IMG_2465.JPG    IMG_2466.JPG   IMG_2467.JPG   IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG   IMG_2470.JPG   IMG_2471.JPGpost-2952-0-73751700-1427132730_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-90089600-1427132792_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-36748200-1427132822_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-94616200-1427132851_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-21467200-1427132875_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-41073400-1427132901_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-19553900-1427132921_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-19553900-1427132921_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

They are dual horns that came with the truck and I decided to keep them. When they blow they really get your attention!

i'll bet they do,  i like them..... and i can't help but just stare at that horn ring  :wub:

Really really nice Barry.

It isn't all that hard to put the glass in the doors. If it were me I would hang the door. I did it that way and I think it is must be easier  than with them laying down.

Jeff

x 2 on Jeff's comments.  Look forward to seeing it on the road.

great first class job!  take plenty of pics of how you do the door glass LOL I have been dreading it . Will need all the reference I can get my hands on when I tackle it. Once again Let me say you have to be proud of what you have accomplished.

Really really nice Barry.

It isn't all that hard to put the glass in the doors. If it were me I would hang the door. I did it that way and I think it is must be easier  than with them laying down.

Jeff

Desotodav also agrees with Jeff that it is easier with the door installed. Do others agree? Since my doors are completely empty, I really never thought of installing the innards with the door installed. I just assumed that it would be easier with it in the horizontal position. Looks like I may have to rethink my approach. Thoughts??

Barry

P.S. Thank you all for the nice comments. I really appreciate them. Helps make it all worthwhile.

Instead of mounting them to the wall, mount them to the cab and set your gaps first.  Still an ideal work height, access to both sides and they're lighter without the glass and regulators and less likely to scratch the pretty side than you would laying them on their back.

• Like 1

I had to strip the right door on the blue truck a couple of years back when the Upholsterer left me with an $800 dent in the door. It sure was much easier stripping the door internals whilst the door was still on the truck. I had the door back on the truck (after repair) when I re-installed the inner workings and glass for both ease of working position and fear of damage to paint. It took 8 months of chasing up the Upholsterer to get him to pay me back the $800 that I paid out for the door repair work - needless to say that I will not be back to that Upholsterer!

Keep up the good work Barry. 

To All:

Jeff and Desotodav certainly had the right idea when they suggested that I install the door on the cab before putting the glass and mechanicals in. My wife and I have since installed both doors and door check brackets, despite my bad back. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would have been on my back if I had put everything back in the doors while in the horizontal position, and then tried to install a much heavier door. Excellent suggestion guys!!

When I removed the doors several years ago, I drilled 1/4" holes in the center of the four hinge brackets in order to recover the exact alignment when I reinstalled them. It worked like a charm! Now, all I have to do is figure out how and in what order to install the glass and mechanicals. I am sure I will figure something out. Thanks again guys.

Barry

post-2952-0-92778400-1427476435_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

To All:

Well, I scored another minor success in installing the glass and mechanicals in one door! After reading all I cold find on the subject, I finally (through trial and error) figured out the sequencing procedure for all the components (jamb mechanism, regulator, vent window, front channel, glass run, circular retainer clips, fuzzy strip, rubber bumpers, etc., etc.). I learned that it is helpful to install the clips with the help of a mirror and string light. I also learned that the fuzzy strip and bumpers can be installed after the glass is in, but thin fingers are helpful. In any event, since the passenger door is complete, the other door should be much easier (famous last words).

If I have done it correctly, there should be a photo of the door attached.

Barry

post-2952-0-40685200-1429744921_thumb.jpg

• Like 1