Hello guys! New here with my 52 Plymouth..

Tony724

I see what you mean. Maybe a half year thing?

Not really a 1/2 year but a 51-52 thing. Chryler lumped the 51-52s together as all P23s but there are a surprising amount of little differences between the 2. My gauges are different colors the hood ornament, grill ornament, and trunk ornaments are all different. Lots more beyond that too.

who knows from the day it was built, through the line of receivership of each new owner what has or has not been changed, upgraded or flat out eliminated over the years..I do not know if there is any way other than say..it is what it is because is how the man wanted it..could well be on owner had a bad steering wheel..found this setup instead.....

Yes, as old as it is, I am sure people over the years have done things. I dealt with a lot of older Beetles for many years. I do know those very well. I seen so many times that things were changed, that didn't belong on that proper year.

Hi Tony, glad you made here to the forum, I was the Guy on the HAMB that pointed you in this direction. 

You will find a lot of help and info on this site, Did you ever get your charging system checked out yet?   good luck

• Like 2

Hi Tony, glad you made here to the forum, I was the Guy on the HAMB that pointed you in this direction. 

You will find a lot of help and info on this site, Did you ever get your charging system checked out yet?   good luck

Thank you so much. This forum is great! I didnt get a 6 volt battery yet to check the charging out. I am worried about using that 12 volt battery to t Test it.,

The Cambridge had a horn button as standard for the entire run of 1951-1952.  The horn ring was either an option when the car was new or a later add-on.   My '52 Cambridge vehicle number begins '1559' and was built in late February or early March of '52, so your car was built earlier than that.

• Like 1

The Cambridge had a horn button as standard for the entire run of 1951-1952.  The horn ring was either an option when the car was new or a later add-on.   My '52 Cambridge vehicle number begins '1559' and was built in late February or early March of '52, so your car was built earlier than that.

thank you! You guys really have a lot of knowledge on these cars. I am glad Fargos pointed me to this forum.

Heavy battery cables may or may not be common. Some stores will make the cables for you. If you can't find them, try an ag or truck trailer repair shop. they deal with the heavy cables on a regular basis

May also check your welding supply stores fro heavy gauge battery cable that that can be made to length as needed.

One of my 4 local supply stores carries the lugs for bolt on ends and battery terminal end also. A big plus is that their cable is of a fine strand copper type that will handle higher amp ratings. This place at least can also do the crimps for the end of the cable if you know your required lengths. I prefer to do my own cable ends by soldering them on but requires at least a propane torch and a little online study on how to-- Otherwise see if the supplier can crimp end and apply a heavy shrink tubing at the joints-preferably a tubing that has glue inside that really sticks and seal the connections at the cable ends!

Nice find at a reasonable price!

Best of both, enjoy!

DJ

Heavy battery cables may or may not be common. Some stores will make the cables for you. If you can't find them, try an ag or truck trailer repair shop. they deal with the heavy cables on a regular basis

May also check your welding supply stores fro heavy gauge battery cable that that can be made to length as needed.

I do have a truck parts supply down the road, I may try them first. I was hoping to find some online.

One of my 4 local supply stores carries the lugs for bolt on ends and battery terminal end also. A big plus is that their cable is of a fine strand copper type that will handle higher amp ratings. This place at least can also do the crimps for the end of the cable if you know your required lengths. I prefer to do my own cable ends by soldering them on but requires at least a propane torch and a little online study on how to-- Otherwise see if the supplier can crimp end and apply a heavy shrink tubing at the joints-preferably a tubing that has glue inside that really sticks and seal the connections at the cable ends!

Best of both, enjoy!

DJ

thanks for the advice. I appreciate it very much. Thats a good idea. Yes a very good price I think too, for what I have. Lots of work ahead. But still excited about it.

• Like 1

I just snapped a photo of the door post tag. It's a 15.

20150321_125720_zpsazlcydlb.jpg

Looks like it was built very early in the model year:

Serial Number: 15579357
Found in range: 15577801 to 15662660
Serial: 1557 of 84860
Year: 1952
Make: Plymouth
Model Name: DeLuxe or Cambridge
Model Code: P23S
Plant: Detroit
Engine: 6 cylinder 217.8 cu.in. L-head
Wheelbase: 118 1/2 inches

very kool,,,, the  chromer you said  near you,,is it  pauls ?? if so  exellent work,,,none  better that  i have  used for  pot metal,,but  very  expensive,,good luck with your new toy,,

No, actually I am SW Pa. It's called Bills. He has been there forever. My cousin has a few classic cars, and has always used him. I will probably end up going there.

Looks like it was built very early in the model year:

Serial Number: 15579357
Found in range: 15577801 to 15662660
Serial: 1557 of 84860
Year: 1952
Make: Plymouth
Model Name: DeLuxe or Cambridge
Model Code: P23S
Plant: Detroit
Engine: 6 cylinder 217.8 cu.in. L-head
Wheelbase: 118 1/2 inches

Thank you! Awesome info!!!!

Welcome. This is the place to come for advice.

Thanks for the welcome! This forum is honestly great!

I didn't fully check my braking system yet, but according to the previous owner, that master is bad. The pedal just goes to the floor and stays there. I have to pull the pedal back up manually.

Looks like there is a square lug to unscrew through the hole in the floor, to check the brake fluid. Never saw anything like that before. But then again, this is all new to me doing a 50's car. I will be doing that tomorrow. Then will pull the wheels and check the wheel cylinders...etc.

Rock auto has one for $73.79

CARDONE SELECT Part # 1333241 New not Rebuilt..

I never ordered from rock auto, any input?

Also....dumb question of the day. Does it just use regular DOT3 brake fluid on these old cruisers?

Edited by Tony724

Best of both, enjoy!

DJ

I found this on rock auto. It doesn't say the length though, especially since the one from the positive to the motor will be longer, but looks thick?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=915405&cc=1349861

Or these??

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1952/plymouth/suburban/body_electrical/battery_cable.html

Edited by Tony724

That's probably a 1 gauge, or smaller cable. Many places list it for newer 12 volt applications,

I seen 1952 Plymouth, so I thought they might be the thick size for the year. I wished these places would give more info.

Looks like the typical 4 gauge found at every box store you go to.  Give Rock Auto a call before you order and ask them specifically what gauge that cable is and report back with their response.

Looks like the typical 4 gauge found at every box store you go to.  Give Rock Auto a call before you order and ask them specifically what gauge that cable is and report back with their response.

Thank you, I will call them tomorrow. I never dealt with them before, so I didn't now if they were like summit, and would have the tech stuff on hand to tell you.

You may be disappointed with their response.  I hope not. I suspect you'll get a response along the line of " It's the correct part number for your application.  I don't and won't promote using them as a parts source but many here have been well satisfied with the products they've purchased.  I wasn't with the one product I used from them and their lack of knowledge of it was very disappointing.