Fabricating A Trunk Floor Pan

Bingster

My trunk floor pan is rusted around the deck lid latch panel.  The spare tire well was also toast but I got one from Moore's in Rapid City. I question the way they chose to cut it out of their parts car but it may just be my inexperience.

There is a sheet metal place near me who has done good work for me in the past on smaller things. I'm going to see if they can come up with something.

Then it occurred to me that the factory welded the trunk panel into the body before they attached the body to the frame. Therefore there doesn't seem to be any way that I could either cut out the old one as a pattern or install a new one. I guess I'd have to have them cut a kerf down the middle of the new pan so I could wiggle it into the trunk cavity, then weld it in when it's set in place.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

A replacement panel can be made up of several pieces and may make fabbing the panel easier than if in one piece. Butt welding the joints and finishing them off properly will make them invisible. Putting you wheel well in later may give you more room.

• 2 weeks later...