Ignition Lock Cylinder for 1940 Plymouth

47heaven

I try to buy extra P15 parts (if priced reasonably) at swap meets and any other place in my  travels.

Put them in a box on the shelf for possible future use.   I know I have used some things over the years

from my shelf stock.  Some things may never get used.......but..............at least I had whatever it was.

I have concluded that--- if the asking price is good on eBay......the "buy it now" button is your friend.

And   also   nowadays......many folks are offering free shipping.   So, it can behoove a person to wade thru

the entire section of things you might want -- to see how many sellers are giving free ship and compare to

asking prices plus shipping.  Just a couple thoughts regarding costs of things we want or need.

If you are talking about the Ebay link, yes that was the right part, but wrong price. I believe that there are ways of get around paying that much. Yes, I did tell you, at first, that I wanted to stay away from as much of the old electric technology as much as possible, but that was before I realized that I was never going to find an aftermarket switch that would fit in just like the original one did. When the old switch was offered to me, I of course jumped on it. Maybe it won't even work, but I won't know until I get the new cylinder installed. I guess at this point I have to stay optimistic. 

BTW....there is a perfect '47 NOS switch on Ebay, and it started at $10 with no reserve. With 6 six days left, I know it's going to jump 10X more.

It appears you are in dire straits in need of a cost effective means to turn your ignition on and off. As a suggestion to alleviate your predicament you could leave your factory key switch in place as a placebo with no wires connected and mount a simple toggle switch out of sight that will work as an on/off device. I have such a toggle switch that is period correct and in good working order as pictured below. I will send you this toggle switch free of cost at my expense if this will fix your issue. This is by no means the correct way to fix your problem but as cost is an issue my offer should be exactly what you want to hear. Send me your address via PM and I will expedite shipment. Hope this helps. 

post-16-0-58193700-1426335267_thumb.jpg

The ignition cylinder that is available from the  "MoPar" vendors for $$$ may well be the same one that comes from the parts stores for $.  They very well may not be NOS 1940's, 1950's cylinders.

As we know, the pricing is all in what the buyer is willing to pay, coupled with a lack of source knowledge.

Right now through Sears  .  com     you can buy 100 postage stamps for $65.63  + $6.25 shipping (shipping may vary be location).

Post Office price  $49  in person, or via "stamps by mail" from your PO delivered to your PO box, or home delivery if you get that.

At USPS   .  com  online for $49 + $1.30 handling.

On eBay  from USPS     for $49 + $1.30 handling.

Through Sears   . com    90 stamps  for $86.01 + 11.75 S&H (5 vending books of 18)(90 stamps $44.10 @ PO)

It appears you are in dire straits in need of a cost effective means to turn your ignition on and off. As a suggestion to alleviate your predicament you could leave your factory key switch in place as a placebo with no wires connected and mount a simple toggle switch out of sight that will work as an on/off device. I have such a toggle switch that is period correct and in good working order as pictured below. I will send you this toggle switch free of cost at my expense if this will fix your issue. This is by no means the correct way to fix your problem but as cost is an issue my offer should be exactly what you want to hear. Send me your address via PM and I will expedite shipment. Hope this helps. 

attachicon.gifP3130001_01.JPG

Don..throw in a roll of tape and I will send you reimbursement...I also do not want anyone to think we just here for solid advice..that we can chip in and help.

attachicon.gifP3130001_01.JPG

No, I'm not in dire needs, I just want to get the ignition switch back into it proper place instead of just having the aftermarket one hanging there. The car will run either way.

Since you mentioned the toggle switch, I noticed that when I first got the car, it had that switch in it on the bottom of the dashboard near the right side of the steering column. I never knew what it was used for, and I removed it when I got my new wiring installed. Was it originally meant as a back up for the ignition in case the switch went out?  

I appreciate your offer, but I first want to see what I can do with the ignition switch I have now. If it doesn't work out, then I will take you up on it. Thanks.

This switch is for the dash lights. Some are 2 position Dim and Off. Some are 3 position Dim, Dimmer, and off. If you removed it what did you do with the wires?

switch1.jpg

I removed it from the dashboard when I had the dash repainted. With the new 12 volt wiring going in, and the wires on it were so frayed, I'm sure I threw it out. Never replaced it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I responded to your ignition switch voltage question in this thread in order to keep all of your ignition switch questions in one location.

Can it be done or does a voltage reducer need to come into play? 

Switch don't care. Assuming good working condition.

Well, I won't know until tomorrow when I connect it. I was just concerned with it heating up, since the 12v aftermarket I have been using gets pretty warm. 

Don't think it should get warm, I used a simple toggle switch for my hot wire, switch only transfers does not use energy. TMWOT

The ignition switch does not care about voltage but it does care about amperage. Amperage is the load.

Looking for the round ring part that fills in the space between the ignition switch and chrome control panel below the dash. Not sure of the exact name of it, or part number, but I'm sure the diagram can explain what part I'm talking about. It's for my P-15, but I'm sure it would the same in other 46-48 Chrysler cars. The locksmith lost my original one when I had him remove the cylinder. If anyone is willing to part with an extra they may have or sell one, please let me know.

I already tried Ebay and Andy's, with no results.

Filler%20Ring.jpg

Thanks,

Darin

_________________________________________________________________________________

“Arrogance is a creature. It does not have senses. It has only a sharp tongue and the pointing finger.” 

Moved your want ad into this thread about your issues. . . Probably should have just deleted it as you have enough posts that you should know that parts wanted or for sale need to be listed in the classified area.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the name of this round ring part that fills in the space between the ignition switch and chrome control panel below the dash? Not sure of the exact name of it, or part number, but I'm sure the diagram can explain what part I'm talking about. It's for my P-15, but I'm sure it would the same in other 46-48 Chrysler cars. The locksmith lost my original one when I had him remove the cylinder. Who may carry one of these, by chance? 

Filler%20Ring.jpg

Thanks,

Darin

_________________________________________________________________________________

“Arrogance is a creature. It does not have senses. It has only a sharp tongue and the pointing finger.” 

•  
Edited by 47heaven

Moved your want ad into this thread about your issues. . . Probably should have just deleted it as you have enough posts that you should know that parts wanted or for sale need to be listed in the classified area.

Whatever. It's not a "want ad " post anymore, it's a "need info" one, or is there a section for that now too?  You also have a lot of OT posts on here that aren't, marked as such. You've also been on here long enough to know that posters are supposed to use "OT" in the title of their threads when it off topic, am I correct?

Edited by 47heaven

1946-8 Chrysler cars do not have that part.        I don't have a parts book showing P-15 parts to find the name of that spacer part. It would be in that book.

• Like 1

1946-8 Chrysler cars do not have that part.        I don't have a parts book showing P-15 parts to find the name of that spacer part. It would be in that book.

I believe the Dodges and DeSotos do, since they basically have the same ignition set up. Am I right?

In 1955, according to my parts book, it was referred to as an "Ignition switch retainer ring" part #1623 119.  I am sure the part number was different on a P-15 though, although the part name may be the same.  I was not able to find a cross-reference in my interchange manual, and google was no help either.  this post may or not not be helpful to you: http://p15-d24.com/topic/26697-early-50s-dodgefargo-ignition-switch/

Just to make sure i am referencing the right part, does it look similar at all to this: 

post-6402-0-83281000-1427941590_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisRice

I don't know what it's called either but my car is missing it also so I'll be watching this thread.  :lol:  

That's if it stays up, 40plyrod. Some of the powers that be are getting anal about what's posted, now, and removing the posts.

Chris, the one I need is not quite that long in length, as I recall.

Does anyone know the name of this round ring part that fills in the space between the ignition switch and chrome control panel below the dash? Not sure of the exact name of it, or part number, but I'm sure the diagram can explain what part I'm talking about. It's for my P-15, but I'm sure it would the same in other 46-48 Chrysler cars. The locksmith lost my original one when I had him remove the cylinder. Who may carry one of these, by chance? 

Filler%20Ring.jpg

Thanks,

Darin

You also have a lot of OT posts on here that aren't, marked as such. You've also been on here long enough to know that posters are supposed to use "OT" in the title of their threads when it off topic, am I correct?

On the old forum your statement would be true. However with the latest forum upgrade done a few years ago there is now an "OFF TOPIC" forum. When posting in this forum it is no longer to necessary to use "OT" in the thread Topic Title box.

http://p15-d24.com/forum/24-off-topic-ot/

• Like 1

On the old forum your statement would be true. However with the latest forum upgrade done a few years ago there is now an "OFF TOPIC" forum. When posting in this forum it is no longer to necessary to use "OT" in the thread Topic Title box.

http://p15-d24.com/forum/24-off-topic-ot/

Great, then that's good to know because I got tired of some people having hissy fits because some people would post "off topic" posts that had nothing to do with what the site was about. I recall even getting my hands smacked a couple times for it, myself. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by 47heaven