Ignition Lock Cylinder for 1940 Plymouth

47heaven

Just wondering if anyone has come across any universal or aftermarket ignition switches that would fit in place of where the original switch once fit. Tired of my universal one just hanging, and trying to avoid buying a NOS one on Ebay. Thanks!

Edited by 47heaven

I do not think he has the original ignition switch Frank thus that replacement cylinder is useless to him..I have it by reading he has an aftermarket switch and of course..they short neck units...will not fit the factory position...if he had the original switch yet and no key..making a key is very simple...

originals are very hard to find...  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-46-47-48-Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler-Desoto-Mopar-Ignition-Switch-/151599921783?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item234c0f3a77&vxp=mtr

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I do not think he has the original ignition switch Frank thus that replacement cylinder is useless to him..I have it by reading he has an aftermarket switch and of course..they short neck units...will not fit the factory position...if he had the original switch yet and no key..making a key is very simple...

originals are very hard to find...  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-46-47-48-Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler-Desoto-Mopar-Ignition-Switch-/151599921783?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item234c0f3a77&vxp=mtr

He's right, Frank. I need the whole switch.  Tim, I saw that on Ebay earlier....out of my price range. My original bit the dust a while back. Just trying something that might fit.

Edited by 47heaven

out of your price range???....I would never ever let one of mine go that cheaply...and this includes key and shipping..a 5.75 shipping value at the cheapest....lock without key will be a 10-15.00 key charge at the smith if that cheap..I think you need to be a bit more realistic in looking at parts and prices..new key cylinder run way more than that...but hey...it is your car your need your schedule...

If you can get the old tumbler out, you should be able to buy a new tumbler with Chrysler pentastar style key at O'Reilly auto store for a reasonable

price.  Or at least you could sometime back.    Just pops into the original housing.  Apparently the cost here is $7.99

lc14400photoprimary.jpg

loc.gif

For Pricing
& Availability, enter your zip code.

$7.99 Each

or

cs6l_primary.jpg
bwd.gif

• Lock Cylinder with Keys
  • Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

For Pricing
& Availability, enter your zip code.

Bob..those sell between 5.00 and 7.00 at about any vender at a swap meet I have bought them for other older vehicles......while an effective switch for sure..that is basically what he has per his description but will not fit the hole in the dash due to the short neck..I am not sure what he paid for the lock that will not match his dash but add that to the cost of a suitable replacement and that suitable lock keeps climbing in cost to the owner...you can go with the right stuff or buy this and that for a few bucks cheaper than never works till you have long surpassed the cost to the correct model...again trying to be cheap can be expensive...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Last summer in Maine in a swap meet I spied a long throat Ig switch with a penta star (Mopar) key. I picked it up for $5.00. It has five posts on the back side and tested out good. Now to find a good patina car that it fits.

out of your price range???....I would never ever let one of mine go that cheaply...and this includes key and shipping..a 5.75 shipping value at the cheapest....lock without key will be a 10-15.00 key charge at the smith if that cheap..I think you need to be a bit more realistic in looking at parts and prices..new key cylinder run way more than that...but hey...it is your car your need your schedule...

What can I say...I'm cheap. Actually, I'm frugal. If you what to pay that much, more power to you. Actually, I'm trying to stay away from the old electrical parts as much as possible. What is new and behind the dashboard can't be seen anyway. 

For about 20 bucks you can buy a universal aftermarket switch like this...............

prf-80153_ml.jpg

Bob, is the base of that switch going to fit through the hole in the back of the control switch panel? This is the dilemma I'm going through right now with the aftermarket one I have in the car.

I don't think that one I posted will fit in the space behind the opening......just by looking at the picture. 

Do you have an old original switch housing you can measure for diameter, then compare to others you

may find.?

An original switch..........

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

I don't think that one I posted will fit in the space behind the opening......just by looking at the picture. 

Do you have an old original switch housing you can measure for diameter, then compare to others you

may find.?

An original switch..........

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

No, Bob. I wish I did have the original housing so I would know what the diameter and length is. I guess I can go by the opening in the back to figure out the diameter. Thanks for posting those pics!

This is what I am putting in my Chevy truck...(scroll to the bottom of the page)

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/product.asp?prodid=EL187&i=|ignition%20switch||||

and this piece also...(scroll to the bottom of the page)

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/product.asp?prodid=EL103&i=|ignition%20switch||||

It is a kinda generic GM style switch... hope this is of some help...quality seems to be ok.

MikeC

This is what I am putting in my Chevy truck...(scroll to the bottom of the page)

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/product.asp?prodid=EL187&i=|ignition%20switch||||

and this piece also...(scroll to the bottom of the page)

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/product.asp?prodid=EL103&i=|ignition%20switch||||

It is a kinda generic GM style switch... hope this is of some help...quality seems to be ok.

MikeC

39.75 for the lock, 14.00 for a key...........didn't you read above..man said that 25.00 delivered for correct original ign switch with key is too high...

No, Bob. I wish I did have the original housing so I would know what the diameter and length is. I guess I can go by the opening in the back to figure out the diameter. Thanks for posting those pics!

Your hole should approximate these measurements.

post-80-0-84147500-1425311302_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-49035200-1425311329_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-58434000-1425311343_thumb.jpg

What can I say...I'm cheap. Actually, I'm frugal. If you what to pay that much, more power to you. Actually, I'm trying to stay away from the old electrical parts as much as possible. What is new and behind the dashboard can't be seen anyway. 

Then buy a toggle switch from the parts house and install it under the dash and leave your dangling switch as camo.....

• Like 1

Your hole should approximate these measurements.

Shel-

This diagram shows the kind of universal or aftermarket switch that I'm trying to find. Either it has a base small enough to fit through the hole in the back of the switch panel or have a stem long enough to reach almost to the opening of the hole where the key goes through to go into the ignition.

I know the new switch will not have the same measurements that are shown in your thumbnails, so I'll have to figure out a way to mount it. 

Ignition%20dia%20.jpg