Rocker Panel Repair

mm289

Hi all, need a bit of advice on a rocker panel repair. Have posted up some pics on my build thread http://p15-d24.com/topic/37817-restoring-a-dodge-49-business-coupe-sloooooowly/

Example below.

2015-03-03%2018.51.44_zps1ozppovc.jpg

Basically need to repair the inner panel but the outer is in decent condition. Is it practical to do this from above/behind the panel rather than cutting out the whole rocker panel - I don't want to just weld patches into the inner, thinking a more substantial repair.

Thanks,

Paul.

Having worked to 3,  49-50 Plymouth's which I understand are built much the same way but the Dodges are wider?.

I'd start by removing All fillers (bondo) from the entire rocker panel areas. After doing so take a body hammer to all of them lightly and watch and listen to the sounds.

Solid metal makes a ringing sound v.s. thin metal will make more of a dull thud.  Holes may also show up.I'd also do the same to body mount areas inside floor near the rockers and top side door opening panels.  Need to really know what is rusted before even tacking a piece of the repair puzzle. Very hard to weld new panels in with adjacent rusted parts.

The order ( method -top, bottom, etc.) of replacement panels may become clearer when you know the extent of  parts that need work.

Good luck on not finding more work to be done. ;)

Also have found some nors replacement panels on E bay occasionally , But stay away from the new replacements from C  to C Company.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

As porous as that inner rocker looks, I'd be extremely surprised if there wasn't work needed on the outers. Inner, outer rockers and the floor all meet up at one point on top, I believe, like a three layer sandwich and to fasten the outer to the inner properly, I think the outer needs to come off and I think the floor's edge also needs to be released. Good access means a better job.

thanks, next job is to start stripping back the whole area so as you say will get a better view then. Will be making up my own repair panels as getting them shipped over the the UK is impractical usually and they end up bent anyway!

Cheers,

Paul.

• 1 month later...

I've been working on installing new floors and inner and outter rockers..should I be installing a floor pan at the same time as the outer rocker and sandwich the pan between the inner and out rocker panels then? I was just going to lap weld the outer rocker to floor pan and spot weld the outer to the inner before I seen this my outer over Lapps my inner rocker a tad so I figured the floor pan would slide under the edge of that up against the inner..I'm a rookie to restoration but I have skills..

It appears on my 48 P-15 that the floor actually bends down to form the inner portion of the rocker box and the outer with the step plate made on it laps over the floor and is spot welded to it.  They join together at the bottom and spot weld to the body mounting brackets.  I looked at the pictures of the replacement floors from the Plymouth doctor and that is how they are made.  The floor does not run flat out to the step plate with a separate inner rocker box.  It would be nice if it did, then you could just drill out the spot welds and remove it.

How far to you want to restore or just want to build the strong enough for another 60+ years with good storage?

Well after seeing this thread i decided to stop procrastinating and go out and fit the pans i bought in and see how they would fit in there. well i figured out the rear pan and got it tacked in and tacked the rocker on just to see how it looked, but  ill have to take the rocker off and weld the floor pan to the top of the inner rocker then the rocker to the pan. i took pics the pans arent an exact fit ill have to fab a center section to mate the rear pan with the front one.

2015 04 16 20.01.42

2015 04 16 21.55.38

2015 04 16 23.03.54

2015 04 16 23.04.20

2015 04 16 23.04.37

Edited by RUSTYSNACK

Hey Rusty, sometimes it is best to just get stuck in - trouble is I find I keep cutting away more metal each time :lol:

Pete, that was definately worse than mine - looks like youve done a great job. If you are ever coming down Folkestone way drop me a PM and I will ping you my address, would be great to meet and chat.

I have been keeping my build thread up to date so if you want to see where we have got to with loads of oictures drop in here http://p15-d24.com/topic/37817-restoring-a-dodge-49-business-coupe-sloooooowly/page-2 - its a bit quite so its always nice to have a few comments, helps to keep the energy levels up when you have been cutting welding and grinding for 12 hours at a time :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Paul.

I've been working on installing new floors and inner and outter rockers..should I be installing a floor pan at the same time as the outer rocker and sandwich the pan between the inner and out rocker panels then? I was just going to lap weld the outer rocker to floor pan and spot weld the outer to the inner before I seen this my outer over Lapps my inner rocker a tad so I figured the floor pan would slide under the edge of that up against the inner..I'm a rookie to restoration but I have skills..

hey Rusty, just as a bit of input, on mine the floor is the bottom of three bits in a sandwich, floor on the bottom, inner rocker next and outer rocker ontop

2015-04-20%2020.35.31_zpsnkjhbjs8.jpg

Not very clear from this pic but that is how mine is laid up.

Cheers,

Paul.

• 10 months later...

thanks for the input and the pictures.I took alot of time off from this project to build a truck to drive but I am starting back on it again. i have the drivers side figured out pretty well i went with what i was describing before and for now i just have the driver side temporarily tack welded in place while i fab the other side and build a new firewall and trans tunnel to fit around my big block..i will have to cut the tacks free later to drill holes to spot weld the pans to the braces and inner rocker lip then i will lap the outer rocker over them and weld it to the pans,seems like the best course of action..