Gold Bronze Pinstriping Paint

ghowie12

Folks,

I am trying to find a correct color equivalent, paint number or similar for the required GOLD BRONZE color pinstriping called out for the wheels on a car with a kenwood green body color.  I have searched here as best I can as well as on google and looking at various pin striping paint suppliers.  I see numerous imitation gold color paints but wonder if there is any further knowledge amongst members.

I have an all original 1948 4 dr Special Deluxe Plymouth with 10,800 original miles but unfortunately someone spray painted the wheels black.  Its a shame, but I need to get them repainted and want to be as authentic as possible

Many thanks,

I have just looked at the POC judging sheets and while I can tell you the four colors used and the band widths of the three rings..I cannot quote a formula..then as paint compounds of that day are no longer used, you may best have to match as close as possible..that is what any major supplier is going to do for you should you inquire and purchase..

Have you tried looking at the eastwood company. They carry a lot of automotive supplies and they might have the color that you are looking for.

the pinstriping paint is made by 1 shot:  here isa link to the 1 shot color chart.  You might find a color or have to mix you own to get he specific color you want or need

http://www.1shot.com/colorchart-lettering.html

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

YEs I looked at Eastwood and one shot and everything else I could find on the internet.  UNfortunately I do not have a usable sample of the original pinstripes to look at.  BAsed upon the comments from A.L.F. I guess it is safe to assume that as long as it is a goldish kind of sparkly look it will be all right.  IS that correct ALF? 

You are sort of correct. It all depends on what you plan to do with the car.  If you plan to have it judged say at an AACA event or a specific marque such as the Ply owners club and you are looking for a Senior winner and best of show and all of that then the correct color is important.  You might lose a point here or there but if the car is a clean as you say then the color will not deduct that many points.  If you want a driver and just a good, great looking car then any color close will do and no one will know the difference unless you happen to have the same car next to you at another show.

Go for a color that suits your taste and looks to be original. remember that colors do wade over time so its very hard to get it perfect. As they always say it was original only once.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Folks,

I am trying to find a correct color equivalent, paint number or similar for the required GOLD BRONZE color pinstriping called out for the wheels on a car with a kenwood green body color.  I have searched here as best I can as well as on google and looking at various pin striping paint suppliers.  I see numerous imitation gold color paints but wonder if there is any further knowledge amongst members.

I have an all original 1948 4 dr Special Deluxe Plymouth with 10,800 original miles but unfortunately someone spray painted the wheels black.  Its a shame, but I need to get them repainted and want to be as authentic as possible

Many thanks,

Did you get the car out of Nebraska. I know a guy who was selling a green P-15 with either 10,000 or 12,000 miles on it. Saw the car at a show once, very nice.

I did.  IT was posted for sale in the Chrysler owners club magazine.  THe car was originally from North Dakota.  HAven't driven it much yet just going through all the small stuff needed to make it a reliable driver for the summer.  Not much to do except brakes, adjust the tappets so it runs as quiet as an old flathead should, change fluids, replace pinion seal, check out points and plugs and replace if necessary.  The clock and radio still work fine.  It was nearly identical to the one my Dad bought new after he got out of the service.

You could try a paint jobber, take a look at the colors of the toners used to make gold and buy the several colors of One Shot that make up the primary colors in the mix and make your own.

Thank you Mr. JCMiller.  The attachment was very useful to me for a wide variety of items. I sincerely appreciate it.

The fact of the matter with POC judging is that they really don't know the correct shade of gold bronze either.  Some one judging your car may state that you used the wrong shade because it isn't the same shade as his buddy's pinstriping, but no one really knows any more.  After 70 years, the paint chips (if there were any for the pinstriping) have faded or otherwise changed color.  I would hazard a guess that no two day's production between 1945 to 1949 had the exact same shade of gold paint for pinstriping.  Shade probably even varied before lunch break and after lunch break.  Throw into the mix the multitude of plants that were pinstriping wheels for P15 with the multitude of paint suppliers and it gets to the point that there really is no 100% Panzer tank correct shade of gold bronze for pinstriping the wheels on a P15.  A self-appointed expert may tell you that you have the wrong shade and deduct too many points at a POC Grand National because of it, but he doesn't really know.

• Like 2

Don't have any electronic pics that I can find and it is up on a lift in a crowded garage at the moment but will post some in a month or two.

• 1 month later...

Here is some info that may or may not be useful for you.

Mr. Miller,

I have one more question for you.  In the process of looking for a couple spare wheels I have been told by Moore's in South Dakota that the gaps or spoke dimensions between the outer wheel and the center riveted in disk on the '48 Plymouth with the 15" wheel is different than the otherwise identical 15" 1949 new style Plymouth wheel.  I see no mention of this in the judging standards you so graciously sent.  Do you know if I am correct in presuming this detail is either unknown or unjudged?

Any information you or other forum members have would have on this would be most appreciated.

All the best,

I do know there were small gap and large gap 16s. As for 15s I'm not sure on the gaps but I will tell you the trim rings I bought to make a hubcap look like a full wheel cover fit perfectly on my 51 wheels but not on my 48s.