splash guards

larryconnors

When I used to drive my P15 in wet slushy snow, the recesses for the spark plugs on the top of the engine would gradually fill with water and one by one the plugs would short out. I kept a paint brush in the trunk that I would use to wisk out the water and the engine would restart and I'd be on my way again. I know there are spark plug wire boots that will fill the recess and prevent this condition from developing. My question is: Were there originally splash guards under the engine that I am missing or how was the car originally set up so that this didn't happen?

the 39 desoto had them and they are still in my car.  Chrysler made the wether protection spark plug kit that had a metal cup that sat in each spark plug hole and the plug then screwed into teh ehad and then there was a rubber boot that covered the top of the plug.  This water issue was very common in the cars that had the butterfly style hood becasue of the hood hinge was directly over the top of the plugs.  Also they found out that by having the coil inthe firewall and because of moisture issue they move the coil to a metal braket colser to the dizzy to help prevent the moisture issue.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

My question is: Were there originally splash guards under the engine that I am missing or how was the car originally set up so that this didn't happen?

My D24 had no splash guards under the engine to prevent this. My set up was leave it in storage until the roads were clear :D

Edited by shel_ny

The original MoPaR Ever-Dry Kits were part # 1064770 / # 1321118

The ebay ones pictured are offshore reproductions and can be sourced at Birenbaums as well.

The main difference is the repros have a rough textured surface and they do not come with the spark plug rubber wire ends, coil rubber ends & spark plug wire terminals as found in the NOS parts box.

Everdry set      check ebay             

$T2eC16N,!y0E9s2S5uJkBRftg+zzew~~60_57.J

post-153-0-44553600-1425323478_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-95547100-1425323517_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roadkingcoupe