Anyone used that Explorer Disc Brake Bracket online??

rustytrusty47

from here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/p15-d24-to-95-2001-explorer-disk-conversion.702258/

anyone did this??? Im in the process of installing this bracket, big problem tho cant get the tierod in the driverside steering arm.. there is just no room for it at all.

Did a quick read of page 1. said something about moving the steering arm in about 3/8 of an inch.  I assume it got bent in for clearance.  You do that?  You realize that will affect the Ackermann, may create bump steer, tire scrubbing and poor handling?

if i could heat it up red hot maybe stretch it out 1/2inch . only other way im thinking with out touching anything is flipping the tierod from top to bottom, but then again i would have to ream/tapper it to make it work. i read a post a while back that had images of other dodge/plymouth steering arms and i did see a longer one from another make/model.. but i cant find that post.

BTW shop here in vegas can water jet these brackets in 3/8 steel for $15 a pop. there machine already has the CAD drawings in there system.

Did a quick read of page 1. said something about moving the steering arm in about 3/8 of an inch.  I assume it got bent in for clearance.  You do that?  You realize that will affect the Ackermann, may create bump steer, tire scrubbing and poor handling?

there talking about the thickness of the brackets is 3/8 so you would have to turn in the tie rods 3/8 on both sides. Im talking about the tierod on the driverside cant be installed it hits the brake caliper .

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

Edited by rustytrusty47

After studying that post a bit, I see where the 3/8 " is from, as you stated. His pics show the nut on top of the steering arm and says the caliper would have to come off first to remove it and your tie rod and steering arm has the nut on the bottom for proper taper fitment? Is there enough room between the top of the steering spindle and the caliper to allow rotating the mounting location of the caliper higher and giving you the clearance to install the tie rod?

Does the passenger side clear and if so, why?

After studying that post a bit, I see where the 3/8 " is from, as you stated. His pics show the nut on top of the steering arm and says the caliper would have to come off first to remove it and your tie rod and steering arm has the nut on the bottom for proper taper fitment? Is there enough room between the top of the steering spindle and the caliper to allow rotating the mounting location of the caliper higher and giving you the clearance to install the tie rod?

Does the passenger side clear and if so, why?

the passenger/right side tie rod,from factory gets mounted on the bottom with nut on top. Driverside is top mount,nut on bottom.. i think his pictures are only showing passenger side steering arm.