Hello I'm new :-D

Hello everybody, I recently picked up a 51 B-3C from an estate sale. It hasent been started since 1981.The owners said the motor was seized. With a little TLC and a few nights I got the old girl to run. She is a train wreck. In a good way. :D I love bringing old things back to life. I will have lots of simple questions for ya as this is my first Flathead DODGE 6.

Does anyone know of a readily available belt? i got a Gates 7480 and its way too big (48 5/8").

Where is the vaccum source for wipers? Only see one for advance on carb. None on F-pump

Finally does anyone have a clear shot of the where the foot petal hits the starter lever?

I look forward to sharing my progress and discoveries with you!

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o584/mcaincr/mess_zps0n4lf3ec.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o584/mcaincr/WP_20150207_001_zps9bmic7fg.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o584/mcaincr/51DODGEBC3_3_zpshqsgeuca.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o584/mcaincr/51DODGEBC3_4_zpszz417fnq.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o584/mcaincr/51DODGEBC3_1_zps4aqpp2i4.jpg

Edited by Hell_City_Saint
  • Like 1

Hello and welcome.

Chances are your tuck was fitted with 2 speed electric wipers. I believe most deluxe cabs were.

The starter pedal alignment is related to the cab mounts.......so if they are rotted or the cab has shifted over the years you may have some work to do. One work around I have seen is if the pedal is offset a bit to one side of the starter arm you can drill the arm and put a bolt in place which will help correct the alignment. Another possibility is that the starter has been swapped with another and it doesn't have the correct arm for a truck starter. Sorry I don't have any photos but someone else may.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies! It is a vac wiper there "was" a big hose through the firewall. I touched it and it turned to dust as with every other hose. They appear all original including fuel lines. Looks like the motor has never been touched, aside from a botched wiring job.

The pad of the starter foot peddle is off set from the lever on the starter. Didnt even think of putting a bolt through it. Brilliant! :-D

The fuel pump is shot. It appears to be original too. The glass bowl was filled with molases. I started her again with just the bowl filled and she is unbeleivable smooth and quite.

The bed is incredible craftsmanship. Thick diamond plate steel all around with seriously pro welds. Someone spent a lot of time back in the day. I was told it was a water truck. Not sure what that means

Thanks again for your replies and assistance. Im tring to figure out how to post photbucket pics

Thanks for the replies! It is a vac wiper there "was" a big hose through the firewall. I touched it and it turned to dust as with every other hose. They appear all original including fuel lines. Looks like the motor has never been touched, aside from a botched wiring job.

The pad of the starter foot peddle is off set from the lever on the starter. Didnt even think of putting a bolt through it. Brilliant! :-D

The fuel pump is shot. It appears to be original too. The glass bowl was filled with molases. I started her again with just the bowl filled and she is unbeleivable smooth and quite.

The bed is incredible craftsmanship. Thick diamond plate steel all around with seriously pro welds. Someone spent a lot of time back in the day. I was told it was a water truck. Not sure what that means

Thanks again for your replies and assistance. Im tring to figure out how to post photbucket pics

That big hose you saw is likely the drain from the cowl vent, about 1/2-5/2" outer diameter? the hose for a vacuum wiper should be around 1/4-3/8" diameter. Another easy way to tell is to just grab the wiper and gently try to move it. If it moves easily and you hear a compressed air type noise, it's vacuum. If they don't move those are electric!

Be careful with that fuel pump, some of em' crack and let fuel run into the oil pan...

Hardly brilliant......just relating a detail that was fitted on mine when I got it. ;)

Do check the cab mounts though before driving it much. Also if it has been setting a long time you should plan on a major go through of the fuel and brake system. 95% of the time the lines will all need replacing and items like the fuel pump and M/c and wheels cylinders will all be shot. Plan on dropping the tank too and having it flushed. Otherwise you stand a good chance of having these all bite you a little ways down the road.

Jeff

Great, another newbie.

Your truck looks/sounds like similar condition to mine that I started on 6 months ago.

My mechanical knowledge is less than basic but with the help from everyone here I am making steady progress. :)

• Like 1

Welcome to another member in the Sweaty State! :P

I remember seeing that truck on CL. Glad to see it went to someone who'll give it the proper love.

Interesting about the belt...I just put a Gates TR24889 on my B1B and it was tight going on (almost couldnt get it over the pully's even with the generator loosened all the way off) its outside dia is listed at 49-1/4" Belt Outside Circum.

Also as to it being a water truck. It probably had a big ole water tank on it.  Back in the day a lot of the properties out on the outskirts (the small one man mine opreations and homesteads) dont have water or wells and they would have to have water hauled out to them so they could have that thar fancy indoor plummin. I know that there are still lots of properties out around the Superstitions and out around Florence junction that are all still "haul water" today.

Edited by Phntm48
  • Like 1

Welcome to another member in the Sweaty State! :P

LOL, i don't want to take this OT but i never knew AZ was called the "sweaty State" too funny... so why worry about the wipers? :D  

• Like 1

Thank you guys. I love learning old new things about vehicles. I got her running this weekend and amazingly it is smooth and no smoke. The fuel is nasty so that wil all have to be redone and the brakes are gone! Clutch works great. I am amazed. Im not going to paint it. I like the nostalgia factor.

Sure this has been discussed but... What is the proper way to polarize a positive ground gen/regulator?

She does have Vac wipers, I still cant find a vaccum source

Edited by Hell_City_Saint

Sure this has been discussed but... What is the proper way to polarize a positive ground gen/regulator?

She does have Vac wipers, I still cant find a vaccum source

There should be a small pipe type plug in the top of the intake manifold towards the rear of the engine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the graphic!!. I almost have the dash wiring done. Does anyone know what the connectors on the light switch are called (technical term)? They are shot. I could solder the wire directly to the terminals, but id rather not. Thanks again for all of our assistance.

Since the fire my switch went intermittent, so I bought a new one. I do nt like lights which have a mind of their own. The new switch has a fuse, the OE has a relay. Best to you as you continue.