Battery cut off switch, Do you use one and what type?

White Spyder

My turn-the-knob battery clamps/disconnects have been working fine.  I also have the same type of clamps on an auxiliary battery which I run in series to get 12 volts for accessories,   I unscrew a clamp to disconnect a battery. 

post-126-0-76285500-1424879719_thumb.jpg

(Old photo.  I have the disconnecting clamps on both cables.)

Edited by DonaldSmith

I work in a heavy truck shop and the ones they use, and I will be putting on my car are rated for 6-36V.  I just have to figure out where I'm going to mount it.  There are two options we use:  Cole Hersee p/n: 2484 or Pollak 51-902PF.  There are also variations through Cole Hersee that have removable keys, if you're looking for that extra security.

My turn-the-knob battery clamps/disconnects have been working fine.  I also have the same type of clamps on an auxiliary battery which I run in series to get 12 volts for accessories,   I unscrew a clamp to disconnect a battery. 

attachicon.gifbattery 004 main battery.jpg

(Old photo.  I have the disconnecting clamps on both cables.)

That is the type I have on my other cars.  What is the switch you have above the battery for?

The 1st pic shows the engine bay of the 1941 Plymouth I had, the previous owner had installed the cutout switch in the engine bay as can be seen on the right hand side ..............it worked fine, the 2nd pic shows the same type of switch that I've had in the 40 Dodge for yrs, its mounted on the side of the console, you can just see the black boss sitting thru the carpet on the side of the console.........the battery cable runs from the trunk along the floor, inside the console to the cutout switch, then to the starter..........its worked fine too and is convienently mounted.............the only hiccup I suppose is that the red "key" is easily purchased separately so if the thief has one of those with them then its not much of a deterent but its been o/k for 35yrs........andyd   

post-612-0-09102300-1424895450_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-21248400-1424895539_thumb.jpg

2484-06.jpgLooks like this unit.  It would need to be mounted, but is what I had in mind for mine.

I have been using a switch like the one pictured.............mounted it using a hole already in the firewall for a driver side heater.   It makes the handle be fairly

hidden under the dash.   I had an additional piece of battery cable made to join the switch into the battery cable system.  They may have stopped making

that type switch, as none of the tool vendors at swap meets have them nowadays.     

I just bought another one n ebay as mine quit working.

DSC00219.jpg