New Project 48' Dodge Coupe

flutnie

call him and see if he can still help by contacting the guy he got it from..odds are if the original barn find owner sold the car..he would be willing to get missing items to the person who intends to repair said vehicle if they are still in the barn.....you got nothing to lose by contacting the guy and possible all the trim to gain...

• Like 1

Oh and I just found out it has electric wipers instead of vacuum... Was this standard in 48?

Yes, the D24s (Custom at least) had electric wipers as standard.

I'm jealous, that's the sort of thing most of us dream of finding.  A genuine "barn find" in really good condition.  I haven't researched the four fender trim spears - never needed them, but they should be relatively easy to find.  Good thing is that they're the same between all D24 Custom models.

Yes, the D24s (Custom at least) had electric wipers as standard.

I'm jealous, that's the sort of thing most of us dream of finding.  A genuine "barn find" in really good condition.  I haven't researched the four fender trim spears - never needed them, but they should be relatively easy to find.  Good thing is that they're the same between all D24 Custom models.

I bought the car from Newfane NY... Close to Buffalo.

It has lug nuts instead of lug bolts... Is this common because all i can find for the car is new lug bolts for this car.. Unfortunately it has two stripped and need replacement ones. Oh and there on the left side with left hand threads.. 

Wellcome to the forum and congratulations for the excellent find!
Your car seems to be in pretty good condition and mostly original.

The lug nuts were the way they were built. I recall having the same trouble when looking nuts at RockAuto, the online catalog only lists "lug bolts", but somehow I still got the right nuts from there, do not recall which way I ordered...

And YES, the left side has left hand thread:

" on the drivers side wheels you turn counter clockwise to tighten the lug nut (Lefty-tighty!) It you look closely on the lug bolt or stud you will usually see a "L" or "R" stamped on the end."

See "tech tips" link;

http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/tech_tips.html#lug

All the best of luck in finding the fender brightwork . As a matter of fact I could use one rear left fender spear myself; My car has two pcs rear right spears, thus the one installed on left side is upside down.

Cheers,
Uncle-Pekka

What are your plans, bone stock, safety improvements only, or modernized?

I am going to leave it mostly stock with the exception of seat belts and ride height..... I am also throwing around the idea of keeping the patina. I have seen some where they scuff the whole car then clear coat over it to preserve whats left and I think it looks good!!!  

I am going to leave it mostly stock with the exception of seat belts and ride height..... I am also throwing around the idea of keeping the patina. I have seen some where they scuff the whole car then clear coat over it to preserve whats left and I think it looks good!!!  

Considering the condition of your car, your plan are perfect. You will find tech tips on lowering here on previous threads: Ford excursion front coils, lowering blocks on rear axle...

Patina is created by time and care. I think your car has just great patina like it is now. I'd buff it off by using some paint renovator (e.g. AutoGlym). Buff the possible rust stains off by using very high grid paper or steel wool and seal the surface with heavy duty wax. That way you preserve the patina but also leave option for repaint later on in case you change your mind.

• Like 1

I bought the car from Newfane NY... Close to Buffalo.

That figures, right around the corner from me.  But - even if I had found it first I couldn't have bought it, but it would have been nice to coon-finger it and day dream what it would look like in my driveway.  Very nice find.     

That figures, right around the corner from me.  But - even if I had found it first I couldn't have bought it, but it would have been nice to coon-finger it and day dream what it would look like in my driveway.  Very nice find.     

Once it is coonfingered would you wash it, eat it, or both?

"In my opinion", these cars look better when lowered.....you can't please everybody & don't even try. Make it the way YOU want it.

• Like 1

By lowering it...........is it re-coon fingered?

Looks great...........     When looking for the fender trims, keep watching eBay as new stuff comes on every day.

If possible, you might want to attend the huge Hershey, PA swap meet in October........there are vendors from all

over the country with lots of items, sometimes more reasonable than you expect.  (and sometimes not).  

Hemming's Motor News magazine usually contains numerous sellers.     

Couple of pics after lowering the rear 2 inches

Well, actually I quite like the stance now.

As a disclaimer I need to say that the photos are taken from low angle and with short focus lense, thus it's hard to tell what it really looks like.

Anyway it seems not be "un-naturally low" as many tend to do nowadays (air bags, channeling, frame modifications)

Another comment would be, that with the heavy engine the front springs of these cars tend to wear out sooner than rear.

When I got mine the rear was higher than front end. By original factory photos and period photography it was not that way as new.

Also IMO it looked goofy for a long 4D sedan. I made lowering blocks which ended to be ca 40mm ( 1"5/8). When installed those the stance is in balance.

It is lower than original, but not ridiculos low licking curb.

Further, if you do it with blocks it's very easy to un-do. 

My future plans are to improve the front end ride by trying ford excursion coils as recommended by some of the fellows here at p15-d24.

Flutnie, do not be discouraged by opinions here - it's what pleases you.

However be aware, that these cars are/were originally quite good to handle and ride well.

IMO; we should NOT do modifications which destroy the good qualities created by Chrysler engineers just for sake of "modern looks".

Rather aim to modify for better ride.