New Project 48' Dodge Coupe

flutnie

Hi,

I'm new to the forum! I just picked up this 1948 Dodge that has been in a barn since 1963ish. It does run but I havent drove it any futher than off the trailer into the garage. It says fluid drive on the back bumper so must be it is??? I dont know how to tell if its a custom coupe or deluxe though??? Not even sure whats is worth but I couldn't pass it up...

post-7830-0-37735700-1424804738_thumb.jpg

post-7830-0-96454600-1424805065_thumb.jpg

post-7830-0-64576800-1424805077_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Two add on switches under your starter button, what are those for?

I'm not sure.. The right one is actually a light hooked to the Hand Brake. Asuming it is suppost to light up if the E-brake is applied. I would like to know what the other button is though. It looks period correct because the wires are the same kind as all the rest... (old)

Oh and I just found out it has electric wipers instead of vacuum... Was this standard in 48?

Welcome. Nice looking car. I love those club coupes. I had a 1948 Dodge sedan which had the electric windshield wipers too. I am not sure if all D24 models were equipped with them but they were a nice feature.

John R

Lots of luck on obtaining said parts. The rear ones..they are a very hard item to find and when found they may not be in best of condition. These rear items are in demand not only by D24 owners but dealers used these to install on P15 cars as a added trim and selling feature.  Many people still looking to do the same to their P15's today.  The fronts are more common.  I would not rule out E-bay nor swap meets..proactive is the key word to success

If your Dodge has electric wipers, that is another indicator that it is a Custom.  I think the Deluxe Dodge had vacuum wipers.  Even in 49-50 the smaller Wayfarer Dodge still had vacuum wipers.  As to what that other switch might be to, it could be for an accessory electric gas cap. 

the smaller Wayfarer was built on the Plymouth chassis..that probably goes further toward vacuum than anything else...as for the electric gas cap is factory installed is just a very small switch that is mounted at the bottom of the dash just to the right of the steering column..really pretty much out of sight and out of mind...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Lots of luck on obtaining said parts. The rear ones..they are a very hard item to find and when found they may not be in best of condition. These rear items are in demand not only by D24 owners but dealers used these to install on P15 cars as a added trim and selling feature.  Many people still looking to do the same to their P15's today.  The fronts are more common.  I would not rule out E-bay nor swap meets..proactive is the key word to success

I dont know why someone took them off!!! the hardware is in the glove box.. If i had to guess the trim was laying by the car in the barn in Michigan when it was pulled from before I bought it. grrrrr