37 Plymouth fluids

eddie27

Service manual for the car, or even the owners manual should have that information in it. And you should have those. :)

I use StaLube hypoid gear oil I picked up in the local hardware store. I go for the heavy weight as my non-synchronized transmission shifts better with that. There are no yellow metal parts in either my transmission or rear end, so no issues there.

As for your car, I'd also use the heavy weight hypoid oil in the rear end as I think you actually have a hypoid rear end and I'm pretty sure you don't have yellow metal parts (Chrysler was pretty good about using ball or roller bearings instead of bushings in that type of thing). You have a synchromesh transmission and I don't know if your synchros have yellow metal parts, I understand that some do. On the other hand the container of hypoid gear oil I have says it is safe for yellow metal. If you want to be cautious, use a non-hypoid gear oil for that.

The manual calls for SAE 160 for the transmission and hypoid 110 powerful EP for the rear end...... What I was asking was what are modern equivalents? Further I was asking if anyone that uses similar oils noticed any differences in the oil brands and or weights they have used.

I doubt you'll find any SAE 160 or 110 EP. Those numbers have long been obsoleted as far as I know. Schaeffers, for one, makes a 140 SAE and a 250 SAE and any number of manufacturers produce 140. There are differences in viscosity indexes between conventional and synthetic gear oils. Brand choice becomes personal as all oils with a particular SAE rating must fall within certain parameters to be classified for that rating and few among us are really qualified to claim one oil better than another based on actual test results. You can find all kinds of debates regarding engine oil choices as well as gear oil choices on almost any automotive forum. Your choice, looking at SAE 140 and a 90 W coming the closest to original specs

found this for what its worth . Crossing modern oils, supposedly. ;)

attachment.php?s=16a7572b30a692f38ee665c

Also found a reasonably priced 80-140 wt. conventional oil (non-synthetic) that may work.

MasterPro Chemicals 80039 - Gear Oil _ O'Reilly Auto Parts.htm

Also talked to a friend with a 37 Ply. 4 dr. mostly stock (motors newer) that said he has always run a 90 wt.( or 80-90 wt.) gear oil in his trans. and rear end. He has owned this car for about 30 years. But has never driven it as far as this trip will be however.

Very nice car!

DJ