Battery tray and hold down photo

White Spyder

Here's a picture of the hold down part and the hook that goes thru the loop closest to the engine on a P15.

Washer and nut on the threaded portion to tighten.  Should be a notch on the tray to hold the crook end of the rod.

$_57.JPG

There should be a threaded rod attached to the inner fender over which the second loop slips.......fairly simple arrangement.

• Like 1

I have not been using a hold down on mine......the cables are pretty tough and keep the battery in place. 

You can see the threaded rod attached to the inner fender in the background.....and the hook notch

below the battery.

Sept2009414.jpg

100_9685.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

In the photo below it appears your positive battery cable is not the right size as in gauge. Looks like a 12 volt cable and you need a 6 volt cable same as your negative cable.

joey4420, on 21 Feb 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Not sure if this helps, but here is the pics of my battery tray in my 46

IMG_1607.jpg

In the photo below it appears your positive battery cable is not the right size as in gauge. Looks like a 12 volt cable and you need a 6 volt cable same as your negative cable.

Thanks Don, I was thinking I should have posted that I think my cables are the wrong size... I haven't had a chance to start that yet.  Can't complain though as most everything else works :) Sadly with 6+ inches of snow and climbing and a level 2 snow emergency here in Butler County Ohio... it isn't like today will be the day I start sourcing new wires unless it is via the web.

Will be sunny and 57 here in the Seattle area, Nicest winter here in years. No snow at all this year.

I feel for all of you with all that cold and snow.

I have not been using a hold down on mine......the cables are pretty tough and keep the battery in place. 

Bob, please do not take a big risk in vain. Think what happens in an emergency braking or tight turn in speed...

If your battery collapses against engine or walls and terminals do short circuit. Scary... Fire, explosion in worst case. Acid will do damage in engine bay.

Hold down bracket is no trouble to make in case you've lost yours. Just friendly advice from a fellow...

/unkka

This reminds me on my experience past summer...

Most of you guys know my Dodge was sitting 4-5 years due to my very slow painting process.

In last summer I finally took it back on the road. I thought the battery was "in finale" due to long sitting, low voltage most of the time. It cranked poorly and lost charge.

Thus I bought a new one, fortunately empty new one without acid inside.

Before I installed the new battery my old father took a look in the engine bay and remarked, "son, your battery cable looks like crap, loads of oxidation"

Also he did not approved the lead lugs, but recommended brass lugs. (lead against lead terminal creates "black oxidation", which is hard to get off)

Thus I took as heavy gauge cable as I could fit in new brass lugs, soldered the ends and soldered them into the lugs with plenty tin.

The new battery sits on self waiting for time when really needed. There was nothing wrong with the old battery.

After fitting in new heavy gauge cables and getting rid of all oxidation on connections there's no problem with charging. 6V battery cranks the six effortlessly and she fires up quickly.

Thus good care of battery cables and connections is warmly recommended.

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

These are "double 0" or "double ought" cables, made up by a local battery specialty store. 

Actually, I think "single 0" is adequate but they were out of it at the time I wanted cables....so I took the

heavier ones.

I think I have a hold down or two lying around.....guess I should install one.

Sept2009414.jpg

• Like 1

Are you guys running with a group 1 or a group 2 battery?  Stock I believe is a group 2, but the group 1 has more cranking amps, so I am going to build a smaller bracket, as the group 1 is smaller and I only have the lower tray at this time.

Oh.......if you want your battery to be really cool, you can buy a vintage Mopar brand sticker to affix to it,  Usually sold by

seaplym on ebay.--- not always listed but if interested could send him a message thru ebay.      

Oh.......if you want your battery to be really cool, you can buy a vintage Mopar brand sticker to affix to it,  Usually sold by

seaplym on ebay.--- not always listed but if interested could send him a message thru ebay.      

Thanks BobT-47P15  good to know. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/seaplym/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1  

This is the sticker, on my Quail disguise case (housing an Optima battery).

post-25-0-36078800-1424960652_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Robin.....that is the sticker to which I was referring.     

The batteries I buy from a battery store have no labels on them until you buy

one and they attach said label.   So I simply ask them to not put any label to mine.

• Like 1

Okay, this isn't OEM or NOS but it works. :D

The original battery tray was pretty much corroded so the previous owner made one out of a this wooden box. It's handy for keeping some work gloves, paper towels for checking the oil level and a few tools along with the battery. I was thinking of changing it out when the Optima Red Top gave up the ghost, but out of the respect I have for the PO, I decided to keep it and ordered a new Red Top along with some #1 gauge cables to replace the #4 gauge cables.

Tony

http://Battery%20Tray%201_zpsmaclzulv.jpg

http://Battery%20Tray%202_zpsx8zwtjsf.jpg

Tony, your battery box is probably accurate for how some things were done back when your car was newer, but 

an "old car" at the same time.  People did many practical (to them) things like that as they  were not producing a

show car.....just something they could use at no cost or minimal cost to them.  Thanks for sharing.  

Anyone else have any "vintage inventions" in their car?

I looked around my garage last night and, "viola", I found a battery hold down frame that is the same size as the

battery.  It needs some cleanup and paint.....and have to find some threaded clamping rods (which I have stuck in

some box of goodies) to finish the task.  

As I recall, some or all battery hold down frames were sort of rubber coated......which often got messed up over

many years due to battery corrosion.  If the metal of the frame is good......I would think a person could re-coat it

with some of that liquid rubber for hammer handles, etc that you buy at a hardware or farm store.  

DSC01439.jpg