3 on a tree

LFT_QBA_1980
Go to solution Solved by Young Ed,

Good evening, 1948 Plymouth Coupe Original.  

Need help.  I am having problems going into 1st and Reverse. Here is how it all started.

Lowered the car in the back and in the front. Rear blocks 3inch (car no problem) Cut the front Springs.  All started after I did the front. I don't know if that is what started the problem. After lowering the car in the front I noticed that my Transmission mounts were really bad. So bad you could not see the rubber. GONE. at the time It was really hard to get into 2nd and 3rd. Then it changed from only going into Reverse, 1st and 3rd. I thought maybe the Transmission was moved or something that was causing the problem. After installing the transmission mounts I tough that would fix the problem, well I can't go into 1st or Reverse. Any Ideas? 
Please help. 

Thanks,
Ariel 

check that you have not bound the drivetrain....you have altered your very pinion angle with the lowering block..take that along with possible crushed rear mount over time and you have exceeded your allotted variable..you may need new mounts and you can correct your angle with tapered shims..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Adjust the 2 nuts on the shift rod ... 2nd one is just a locking nut.

• Like 1

Glad you got it worked out. How about posting a couple pics of your car.....I like 'em low. Where in California are you?

Hey Deathbound, 

Here is some pic's before and after.  Hope you enjoy them. Every time I saw a lowered 40's I just loved the way they looked. Took me couple of years before I said screw it lets do it.  

I am in Imperial Valley, CA 

post-7038-0-49811800-1424333045_thumb.jpg

post-7038-0-04089000-1424333514_thumb.jpg

post-7038-0-54079100-1424333537_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful car! :cool:

Topic reminds me of a t-shirt i had printed some time ago

since everyone else here seemed to ride automatic transmission and SBC:

21045346ly.jpg

Nice shirt Fred, but what about us floor shifters?

Beautiful car! :cool:

Topic reminds me of a t-shirt i had printed some time ago

since everyone else here seemed to ride automatic transmission and SBC:

21045346ly.jpg

Not me Fred...wouldn't have a chivvy if you gave it to me and still peelin' the bark off the 3 on a tree!

Edited by Frank Elder

Fred,

Super cool design!

Where can I buy the shirt?

That shirt has the attitude.

To "what about us floor shifters?" I say "floor shifters suck - floor is for those who cannot reach the tree!"

-unkka

3 on the tree wasn't available on my '38.....didn't come out til '39. The reason they put the shifter on the tree was for the old ladies who kept complaining they had to take their hand so far away from the wheel. :rolleyes:

3 on the tree wasn't available on my '38.....didn't come out til '39. The reason they put the shifter on the tree was for the old ladies who kept complaining they had to take their hand so far away from the wheel. :rolleyes:

Are you saying if we like Three on the tree is kinda Girly. Crap, no bueno, and I thought I was cool telling people yeah Three On the Tree Baby...... LOL 

wow! That's pretty strong words from a midget who cannot reach up the tree!

Show me the proof to back that up - Do not recall seeing Chrysler promo "New for 1939  - by request of our mature age lady customers we finally launched the column stick!"...  :P

Nah, I think it was John Wayne who was used to hold the bridle ahead and did not want to be seen to reach towards crotch while drivin'... thus he asked for manly way to shift.  :cool:

• Like 1

"Say good-bye to old-style floor cluttering shift rod"

697412fb7ef12baa2893d8bf6f5987dd.jpg

...and there's even more!

"Air plane vision" windshield + two​ electrically  driven windshield wipers!

(I must remember to advertise this; Air plane vision on my Dodge, and my other car has Wide angle wrap around Panoramic Vision!)