2 ton of fun

Brent B3B

had some advice and encouragement from some forum members (thanks Mike and Bob!)

my new (to me) 52 B3HH was delivered today.   post-6005-0-79002600-1424231950_thumb.jpg

post-6005-0-81933400-1424231974_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-09202700-1424232037_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-79515600-1424232059_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-54393100-1424232082_thumb.jpg

yeah, got a lot of work to do..... :)  has not been running for around 12 years but it seems pretty solid.... has a T316 motor, hydraulic dump bed, two speed rear axle and a happy new owner.

first steps will be to drain all the old fluids, start with new,  get new batteries and ignition goodies. to see what i have

I've been reading the "stuck valve" info... I would think after all this time this might be an issue..... i am also listening for any advice on this size of truck and or engine (definitely new territory for me....)

Oh yeah, in not so many words...... i am "grounded" from Craig's List for awhile   :lol:  

• Like 6

Brent, you are one sick puppy...or your wife loves you so much...or, she is about to hit you up for something really expensive you never would have agreed to :P .

BTW, when you raise the bed to work underneath it, BLOCK IT UP!.  I know a family in the heavy construction business that lost their dad to a  dump truck "mousetrap" while working on the brakes.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys!

Nice truck Brent. Another one to add to your growing fleet hey!

Yeah the fleet grows but my negotiation card was saying I’ll get rid of one of the other trucks….. so I’ll be stripping down what is left of the 53 b3b “parts truck” (it’s only really a shell right now anyway :) )

Wow! That is cool. I cant help wondering about the rating though.....that is an awfully large box for 1 1/2 ton.

Have fun with it.

Jeff

Good call Jeff, Bob (dodgeb4ya) suggested it is a two ton but, I called it a 1.5 because of the title and vin plate.

I don't think the dump bed is how it left the factory but then there is always some sort of mystery with these old trucks. The bed alone will require more paint than the whole rest of the truck. 

Now if only truck beds could talk,

Awesome Brent !

Hank  :)

Man, you guys really have an eye for these trucks! On the dash it has a label for a “siren” and in the center of the roof there is a hole that has been silicone. (possibly a utility or water truck in the past?)   

Brent, you are one sick puppy...or your wife loves you so much...or, she is about to hit you up for something really expensive you never would have agreed to :P .

BTW, when you raise the bed to work underneath it, BLOCK IT UP!.  I know a family in the heavy construction business that lost their dad to a  dump truck "mousetrap" while working on the brakes.

so true brother, Fortunately, my wife also loves to garden and I told her "I could bring her top soil, compost, décor…… "  :D 

thank you for the reminder on the "mouse trap"! WE'LL DO!  i realize with this truck (as with any vehicle) there is a certian amount of responsibility for the safety of others as well as myself.

• Like 1

Very interesting truck. I always like to see a larger truck find a good home. Lots of pickups around but not a lot of the more heavy duty trucks. Enjoy and as soon as you starting hauling stuff for your wife with it, she will love it, too!

Brent;

I was actually thinking 2 1/2 ton.....but I am just guessing based on the size of the bed. It may have had some overload springs added?.

I think it would look great with some running lights on top.the cab..

More pictures please.

Jeff

i'll take more of the inside of the cab but here are a few i had at work. i think this must be the hydraulic filter located under the drivers seat thru the floor post-6005-0-67852400-1424290945_thumb.jpg and i'll get more on the engine area including the fan shroud you can barely see here post-6005-0-77245700-1424290962_thumb.jpg

and what thread would not be complete whithout the 50's mode of moving the truck :) post-6005-0-63480400-1424290971_thumb.jpg

HI Brent

So how does that truck have so little rust on it? Does your state not use road salt when it snows?

just wondering out loud...

MikeC

you nailed it Mike, no salt on our roads. we don't really get enough snow anyway.... i don't even put the studs on the Dakota until the snow is falling.

Very interesting truck. I always like to see a larger truck find a good home. Lots of pickups around but not a lot of the more heavy duty trucks. Enjoy and as soon as you starting hauling stuff for your wife with it, she will love it, too!

i agree! but, i left for work this morning and told her not to be out staring at it all day...... she said, "i won't" :huh:

• Like 1

i think this must be the hydraulic filter located under the drivers seat thru the floor attachicon.giffilter.JPG

Thats the air breather for the brake booster.

• Like 1

wow.  three batteries in the truck.  one in the normal spot (under the floor), one on the firewall in the engine bay, and one behind the seat.

i don't think the box is "too big" for a 1.5-ton.  it was probably rated at 15000 or so.  looks to be very similar to the size of the dump bed in mine, although the sideboards are a little higher (on brent's).  and (for jeff) many of these trucks had "overload" springs as original equipment.  mine does.  if the truck "tares" at around 10,000 lbs, there'd still be 2.5 tons available for freight, and it would still be a 1.5-ton.

It's an B-3-HH according to the pillar tag. That means 2 tonner. 16,000lbs GVW.. really should be an HHA.......A=2 speed rear axle which the truck has..

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

wow.  three batteries in the truck.  one in the normal spot (under the floor), one on the firewall in the engine bay, and one behind the seat.

Good eye! that extra battery is a lawn and garden battery....... not sure what it is or was for yet.

It's an B-3-HH according to the pillar tag. That means 2 tonner. 16,000lbs GVW

Bob

post-6005-0-33140900-1424317848_thumb.jpg (I might have forgot to give everyone all the information... sorry everyone :) )

You need to start going to meetings! :)

LOL, oh, look who showed up to the party!

yeah, I guess my first one is coming up in April...... not sure if it truly PHA (pilothouse anonymous) meeting or not :huh:  

best part of this whole thing is Julie still blames you for my addiction! :D

I think it would look great with some running lights on top.the cab..

More pictures please.

Jeff

i'll have to take more in the daylight sometime, post-6005-0-06000700-1424319908_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-38823300-1424319944_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-29072000-1424319963_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-49529400-1424320015_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-37498100-1424320039_thumb.jpg

Is that a cup holder on the dash? You may laugh if I'm wrong...

it is! , I imagine the ride is so smooth.......... :)

LOL, oh, look who showed up to the party!

yeah, I guess my first one is coming up in April...... not sure if it truly PHA (pilothouse anonymous) meeting or not :huh:  

best part of this whole thing is Julie still blames you for my addiction! :D

Hey, I just hooked you up with 2! :D

Edited by B1B Keven

It's an B-3-HH according to the pillar tag. That means 2 tonner. 16,000lbs GVW.. really should be an HHA.......A=2 speed rear axle which the truck has..

Bob

i made a good guess on the gvw.  just missed by a half-ton.  the nomenclature doesn't equate to the load capacity, anyway.

i wonder, with the b-3-hh pretty clear on the data plate, whether the 2-speed was added by a later owner?  it doen't have the button/cable attached to the gear shift handle.  or did the 2-tons and up have it located somewhere else?

Is that a vacuum shift 2 speed? I'm more familiar with electric shift 2 speeds so I'm not real sure how a vacuum one works. It would be pretty hard to do a safe split shift if a button/cable was placed somewhere besides the shift lever with both feet busy, one hand on the shifter and one hand for steering.

Nice truck, but unless I'm missing something I don't see the 2 speed cable or vacuum setup on the firewall.    The knob on the left side of the dash looks like a battery disconnect / switch  found in many older firetrucks .    Looks like a fun project.  Good luck.  Mike