Dream Tools

Ulu

You have a tool outlet near you? I am still using the Rigid saw I bought at the mall near the Oconomowoc WI Plymouth club meet back in 09. They had good deals on the factory refurbished units.

No outlets that I am aware of but I will do a search.

No outlets that I am aware of but I will do a search.

Also unless you are planning on extra capacity for future use a 12" slider is overkill for doing baseboard. A compound 10" should do the job nicely. The manufacturer specs should list the biggest board you can cut at a 90° or 45° setting.

I have a Harbor Freight miter saw...I have used it quite extensively and even very recently doing planter tables for spring.  It is a good unit for the money...again...if you going to use it commercially and let monkeys loose on it..I say no....but for your own use and use with care and respect..will more than be adequate.  I put down all my hardwood flooring and baseboards etc not to mention I use it as a portable radial arm when doing my entire upstairs..for the average home use it is a good value.  Mine is a 10 inch model...

many years ago I bought a very cheap..did I say super cheap...also did I say used super cheap black and decker miter say...It finially gave up the ghost..the arbor slipped on the motor..it was probably repairable but gave me the excuse to get the HF unit above...I paid 25.00 for that B&D and used it for many years...say 20 for sure...I got my money from that one also...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

base board 4.5"...I ran my own wood through a molding head and copied the baseboard that were original to this house built in 1908   10 1/2 inches high..you working with toothpicks Don....lol (or a popsicle stick....OK OK..maybe a tongue depressor)

base board 4.5"...I ran my own wood through a milling head and copied the baseboard that were original to this house built in 1908   10 1/2 inches high..you working with toothpicks Don....lol

I am not from West Virginia so that would be teeth picks :D

. . . many years ago I bought a very cheap..did I say super cheap...also did I say used super cheap black and decker . . .

I'll never buy another tool from Black & Decker. Their quality has gone from mediocre to pitiful.

I bought a nice compact B&D 1/4 drill some years back. Worked great until I put some real pressure on it.

The main reduction gear just slipped on the shaft as soon as the motor got hot.

Somehow I had a brain malfunction, and bought a B&D electric screwdriver. Small, and perfect size for working on computers.

It did the same damn thing. Gear slips on the shaft.

Lord, I'd be embarrassed to build that junk! Even the tools I've bought from Harbor Freight have all been better that that.

I'll never buy another tool from Black & Decker. Their quality has gone from mediocre to pitiful.

I bought a nice compact B&D 1/4 drill some years back. Worked great until I put some real pressure on it.

The main reduction gear just slipped on the shaft as soon as the motor got hot.

Somehow I had a brain malfunction, and bought a B&D electric screwdriver. Small, and perfect size for working on computers.

It did the same damn thing. Gear slips on the shaft.

Lord, I'd be embarrassed to build that junk! Even the tools I've bought from Harbor Freight have all been better that that.

If everyone would return and tell the manufacturer about their junky product maybe these garbage products would be not so common.

I DO return things that are no good as now dys I think the product makers hope no one will return and or make a stink about their junk. It hurts their bottom line.. profits drop.

well many people buy tools like they do cars....get a Pinto and want it to perform and ride like a Lincoln Continental with a super plush interior and all the bells and whistle..all for cheap...same with tools...buy a no name and want it to outperform the better tool that is at 10 times the price and with the strength and reputation of seal team 6....I need some oxygen now...

• Like 1

You are right Tim ..that 's the way it is.

I always try to buy top quality tools as  I want them to last a lifetime and most important not send  too much of my $$ to China when buying tools!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

it depends on the tool...what extent it will be used and basically just about how often will I really need it...I get a majority of my hand tools in brand name at give away costs at the pawn shops...top tools..excellent prices and well, even if I were to break it...get it replaced for free later...best way to spend my tool money yet

I needed a tool for a quick turn around job and bought a cheapy to just get me past the situation...well that tool is still going strong and trust me...I abused the hang out of it...so I now have three of them and one has a cutting wheel, one a disc for grinding and one with a wire brush...just swap plugs on the extension cord..not accessories..KNOWING that I bought them for cheap and by the way with all things considered all have well paid for themselves already...they going strong and I am pleased..if they go tits up...I have no remorse..for the price of same tool in brand name, I will need to buy another 12 of these to come close to their first time cost...

again..what you buy is your call..buy wrong...quit crying, wipe you nose and get a good unit or buy another cheapy....pay to play is relevant in all things

• Like 1

Sometimes it's a crapshoot. I have some old no-name tools that have outlived their name-brand counterparts.

And then I've got some total junk I keep around just in case I need to smash something useless.

I enjoy buying high-quality tools, and I just got a set of Porter-Cable hole saws that are making me smile right now. ;-)

• 5 months later...

Earlier post. Don, those are not tools with which to fix things those are instruments to play! Mercy sakes, send em to school, buy em books and all the learn is how to spell!

Here is a new multi- use tool in my shoppost-34-0-02872300-1447259656_thumb.jpgpost-34-0-80407600-1447259697_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Nothin like adjustable horizontal storage!  I store stuff on every horizontal surface in sight in my garage until it starts to slide off.  Then I spend a day cleaning up and gettin organized.  I'll never learn!  :huh: 

• Like 1

Always wanted a tire machine and came close to buying one more than once but never pulled the trigger. I wanted to put four snow tires on the wife`s pt cruiser so I bought one of harbor freights manual tire changers. I got some steel wheels from the salvage yard and a good deal on tires from ebay and mounted them up. It actually worked pretty well and was worth the $32 I paid for it.

The $400 I paid for the antique 2 post benwil lift was one of the best investments I ever made.

post-4221-0-65212200-1447421679_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-65850000-1447421683_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-27013100-1447421700_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-15117100-1447421704_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-10676300-1447421711_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-21487200-1447422029_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-11784300-1447422033_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948

Always wanted a tire machine and came close to buying one more than once but never pulled the trigger. I wanted to put four snow tires on the wife`s pt cruiser so I bought one of harbor freights manual tire changers. I got some steel wheels from the salvage yard and a good deal on tires from ebay and mounted them up. It actually worked pretty well and was worth the $32 I paid for it.

The $400 I paid for the antique 2 post benwil lift was one of the best investments I ever made.

attachicon.gif2015-10-23_14-23-18_523.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-10-23_14-23-30_376.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-10-30_17-11-50_522.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-10-30_17-12-05_412.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-10-30_17-12-13_546.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-11-02_16-19-27_48.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-11-02_16-19-45_473.jpg

Might as well balance the tires as well.

http://aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/balancing_beads/

• Like 1

I found the 1970 benwil lift on craigs list, the seller was asking $500 but he had left it lay in a dirt lot for several years and the lift was pretty well "roached" everything was frozen with rust. I offered him $350 and we settled at $400. It took me a few weeks to bring it back to life and 5 gallons of kerosene that I used to soak the rusted ribbon chains in,then I ground off the rust and painted it. After some research I found out it started out it`s life at a Chevrolet dealership, then on to a couple of repair shops. I was able to get a tech/owners manual reprint for it and I spoke at length to an older service guy that used to work on these, this lift runs on 10-30 motor oil instead of hyd fluid.

post-4221-0-43070000-1447451302_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-00196800-1447451303_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-57371100-1447451303_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-17941200-1447451304_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-38514900-1447451308_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-98496400-1447451308_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-57718500-1447451309_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-16269700-1447451310_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 2

Until I get a lift, my ever ready chain hoist is my second person. Amazing what all I've used it for. Now I have a very nice 53 grille to sell. Funny how things accumulate, which is driving my wife nuts. Even threatened to put me in a cage with a cat!

post-34-0-33970000-1447452181_thumb.jpgpost-34-0-55831700-1447452196_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1