Dream Tools

Ulu

now that is a success story.  If one is good...three must be better...I am tossing about the idea of a rotisserie or another lift myself..may well build the rotisserie and put the savings toward another lift..got to finish my barn doors first...down to three left to skin as of this afternoon...

• Like 1

I also have three lifts.

And the good part is I don't think I really need any more tools!

Lucky me.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would not really call these dream tools but I had been looking a long time for a nice set..had an ad in a local online site for almost a year I think...man called yesterday..offered these to me..I snarfed them up...Hunter Engineering...will do a bit of clean up...if need rebuilt..kits are really good price...

post-19-0-30247400-1424997368_thumb.jpg

OH, man P.A.

A couple years back I did the remodel drawings for the old Rambler dealership building, which is now an auction house. (Same auction house where I bought my torches.)

They scrapped out a complete Hunter alignment rack from the 50's, and filled in the pit. I don't think they even tried to auction it off, which I thought strange. It just went for scrap metal, of which there was a lot.

on my alignment turntables..ordered rebuild kit which arrived today...kit was cheapest way to get the balls and lock pins..I had no lock pins with the tables....took apart today...man they are in excellent condition as far as balls and cage, slight alignment needed due to rough handling...I drilled and tapped the front corners and attached my lock pins sans cables in place...saved all the rest of the stuff in case I need it further down the road..then things are heavy 43.5 lbs each..

A whole set of factory Miller Tools from the mid 30's to mid 1950's that worked for the 6 cylinder flatheads. And the expedrience on how to use them.

HAve been collecting them as I find them but not many tool venders consider these tools to be collectable even at Hershey. Seems that the GM and FURD tools are the only creditable tools that people want.

Nice heated garage that is seperate from the house and also with a lift

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• 2 months later...

not really a dream tool..I have one of these that was given to me long ago but with a couple dies missing...while at the swap meet today...found a nice complete set in excellent condition..excellent price..could not pass it up....this is just a quick internet picture of what it is...very handy shop items to have on hand...

post-19-0-70912700-1431740440_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Nice Leather/Gasket Punch kit.

not really a dream tool..I have one of these that was given to me long ago but with a couple dies missing...while at the swap meet today...found a nice complete set in excellent condition..excellent price..could not pass it up....this is just a quick internet picture of what it is...very handy shop items to have on hand...

Is that a brake lining riveter?

<EDIT...oh, a gasket punch? Pretty elaborate. Never seen one like it. I just have these little hollow punches you hit with a hammer.>

<Edit again... Huh? Hole punch? For punching anything in particular?>

Edited by Ulu

no Ulu it is a hand held sheet metal punch that delivers some 1.2 ton of pressure by hand..the dies are various sizes up to in this case 5/16 inch....the larger the hole the thinnner the metal you can punch thus the chart that dives the pressure curve for size/thickness must be followed so not to damage unit..very effective unit to have around..we used them a lot shipboard for doing Tempest compliance and on car fabrication they have many uses also

Seems I have enough work to do already with the welders, car lift, body and paint stuff I already have.

But it seems lately I've been buying wood working tools off of craigslist. Now I ponder over "should I make it out of steel or wood?"

Steel usally wins, but wood is so much faster and in some cases cheaper. 

My current dream tool:   Radial Saw

48D       

radial arm saw is hard to beat....when is SC I had one mounted center across the back wall on a good size table top and the the window ledges was the exact height and flush with the backset of the table...if I wanted to trim a gnats butt off a 500' piece of stock..easy doing...lol or cut it in the middle as needed...think I only used this feature when I built trusses...I make about 3 sets of custom trusses there....just mentioning it in case you have a smaller area...try to window it in for easy use and not limit your capability from the get go.

• Like 1

I am looking to buy a miter saw. Found this one at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61969.html

My plan is to buy this saw in order to complete a base board project in my house. My son will assist me in this project. Once the project is done I will give the saw to my son and borrow it back if I need it again. :rolleyes:

post-16-0-17995100-1432057820_thumb.jpg

Plymouthy, I can see how that would come in handy for lots of things.

I've got some experience with metal punching, having spent a few years programming presses similar to this one:

If you can draw it in AmadaCAD, that baby can punch it out fast.   ;)

Ours went up to about 35 tons & would punch 3" dia circles in 12Ga. We also had a 50 ton with a "pizza cutter" punch/die setup, that would cut free-form shapes without nibbling.

I am looking to buy a miter saw. Found this one at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61969.html

My plan is to buy this saw in order to complete a base board project in my house. My son will assist me in this project. Once the project is done I will give the saw to my son and borrow it back if I need it again. :rolleyes:

attachicon.gifmiter saw.jpg

You have a tool outlet near you? I am still using the Rigid saw I bought at the mall near the Oconomowoc WI Plymouth club meet back in 09. They had good deals on the factory refurbished units.