Dream Tools

Ulu

A thread for all those Tools we Wish we Had...

I thought of this because I'm working on the drawings for the new Fresno Calif Highway Patrol garage.  WhooWee!

There getting these, and if I could get away with ordering an extra, I'd have one myself.  ;)

post-6765-0-45644300-1423781634_thumb.jpg

Dual two-stage Quincys on a 200 gal tank.   :wub:

(BTW, their tire rack holds 600 tires!  It has special earthquake resistant anchors.)

Edited by Ulu

My dream tool would be a lift. But for that I'd need a different garage and that is out of the question unless I move.

A lift would be nice, but mine would have to be outdoors.

I was originally going to add a detached one-car garage with a grease pit.

Low tech, no moving parts.

The building cost was untennable and so the land sits empty.

oh yea, and i can't wait until someone here on the forum buy one of those 3d printers and runs a b3b through it! :D 

have one at work....it would take a LONG time to build a truck...and lots of glue!  The build envelope isn't that big, DON'T believe what you see on TV shows (NCISLA)!

Dream tools:

Lift at my (hopefully soon) new place

vertical mill 

engine lathe

Dream tools you say...hmmmmm...????

A lift as stated above and a plasma cutter...I love to cut and grind and weld metal....a decent plasma cutter would be a wonderful addition to my garage for sure...

I can only dream about the brackets I could fabricate with one.... :)

my 2 cents...

MikeC

have one at work....it would take a LONG time to build a truck...and lots of glue!  The build envelope isn't that big, DON'T believe what you see on TV shows (NCISLA)!

............... dream crusher! :angry:  ( :D )

I tried to dream about tools when I went to bed last night. This is what I came up with.

attachicon.gifboat-full-of-girls.jpg

you are defiantly dreaming :lol:  

• Like 1

dream...formative idea with no drive to back it...wishing this or wishing that gets nothing done...

Fortunately for Don C.  in his marital state and old age...dreams are best for his health all around...enough said....!!!  doctor told Don to cut back on 50% of his sex life, Don asked which half, thinking about it or talking about it...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

How about a robot to do all the things I don't want to do anymore?...freeing me up for the things I still feel like doing myself.

i thought that is what kids and grand kids were for :huh:

I always wanted one of those magical tools that produced an orgasm at the push of a button. Problem is the guy who invented it was never able to duplicate his invention nor do anything else before his death. Seems that several times every hour he felt inventive but he could only push the button and was once again off. He died a day or so later from insanity and starvation but it was said he died with a smile on his face.

A lot of you guys are clearly dreaming about a tool you already play with. That's not what this thread's about.   :P

As to the question of lifts, hydraulic? Chain? Cable? Direct drive? How many posts?

A lot of you guys are clearly dreaming about a tool you already play with. That's not what this thread's about.   :P

As to the question of lifts, hydraulic? Chain? Cable? Direct drive? How many posts?

how many posts you got room for or care to drill holes for...do you even have the ceiling height for to make one effective...I suggest minimum of 13 feet....is your concrete suitable for a lift to be mounted....some are not required to mount...most are hydraulic over cable/chain...your dime your call your dream...I have had my lift for a good number of years now..I love it..best tool I have purchased..my knees now love me...

Hey Ulu

I have never had a lift...so what kind I have I would not really care....one that lets me not crawl around on my hands and knees anymore....so what ever one works best is the one I want....oh yeah also...one other dream tool...maybe a young kid to help hold stuff up when I need an extra pair of hands...now that would be cool...

MikeC

I'm from the single-post hydraulic lift days myself. I've never used  2 or 4-post lift, so I don't have a clue as to which would be better to work around.

The new CHP garage is getting 2-post models BTW. I always thought a 4-post lift would be far superior, but maybe it gets in the way?.

how many posts you got room for or care to drill holes for...do you even have the ceiling height for to make one effective..

If I get one it'll be going outside on a concrete pad. I only have an 8' ceiling in the garage.

If I get one it'll be going outside on a concrete pad. I only have an 8' ceiling in the garage.

Put a Milwaukee sawzall on your tool list and use it to cut the trusses at the top plate. Install the lift inside and lift the roof with it. Add to the exterior wall height, problem solved.

• Like 3

When I had my 40'x60' post frame building erected a couple of years ago,I had a decent concrete pad placed and finished inside.I chose a four post lift because they can be moved.While not endorsing BendPak HD9XW,that was my choice of lifts .I believe it was Plymouthy at the time who may have questioned only one?..Long story,short -I was happy with the first one,ran out of floor space,had the height and bought two more of the same lift. :)   

Edited by Ralph D25cpe