1950 1/2 ton with 4bt cummins

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Just picked up a 1950 1/2 ton and in the process of installing a cummins 4bt

Have some questions on 12 volt. I am going to keep my original gauges can I hook 12v to them or do I need some sort of resistor for fuel gauge amp meter? post-7792-0-58625800-1423514083_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Just picked up a 1950 1/2 ton and in the process of installing a cummins 4bt

Have some questions on 12 volt. I am going to keep my original gauges can I hook 12v to them or do I need some sort of resistor for fuel gauge amp meter? attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sorry cant figure out how to rotate pics. I don't have factory gauges yet looking at a set on ebay. I forgot to ask about the oil preasure gauge will an after market line kit hook to the back like the type of line you get with a modern after market gauge?

Slick looking engine. How does the weight vary between your 4bt and the L-head? Also did you have to change the suspension/drag links? As far as your electrical goes, 12 volts should work fine with your gauges. My truck was originally 6v and the rings went bad so my grandpa changed it to 12v so it would crank faster. Only had the resistor put on because of the 6v sysrem.

The amp gauge does not require any modifications, just reverse the lines on it if you reverse the polarity

temp gauge is purely mechanical, and can be adapted to just about anything

Fuel gauge needs a resistor or a voltage regulator, either way works

That cummins looks pretty nice, this place is getting full of em! Do you know about how much difference there is in the length of that motor vs the flathead?

Thanks for all the replyes!!! To answer some of your questions the cummins 3.9 4bt fit right in with no major modifications except for fabbing some motor mounts and a crossmember. The truck had no engine or trans when I got it, but I think the cummins is close to size and wait of the origanal motor. Still siting on its origanal suspension and steering it did not squat. The only thing different is I went with a firewall mounted duel master cylinder because my pedals and master were missing. Still not sure on the oil preasure line if someone wants to chime in.

Cool build, im putting a 4bt into my '52 B3b. Check out the build thread in my signature if you would like.

What transmission are you using?

-Chris

Edited by 1952B3b23

Cool build, im putting a 4bt into my '52 B3b. Check out the build thread in my signature if you would like.

What transmission are you using?

-Chris

. Hi Chris, it's nice to see another 4bt fan, and we are not far from each other! I am using the th400 auto that was origanal behind my 4bt. I drove it up and down the street today for the first time with the nose off. Holy $#&T it's got power, but it still has the origanal rear end with 4.10 gear think I'm going to need something like 3.07 gear to get hi way speed. Probably a jeep cherokee rear end. I am keeping her with the manual steering and drum brakes. My intention is to make my truck look like it was born with a cummins.

. Hi Chris, it's nice to see another 4bt fan, and we are not far from each other! I am using the th400 auto that was origanal behind my 4bt. I drove it up and down the street today for the first time with the nose off. Holy $#&T it's got power, but it still has the origanal rear end with 4.10 gear think I'm going to need something like 3.07 gear to get hi way speed. Probably a jeep cherokee rear end. I am keeping her with the manual steering and drum brakes. My intention is to make my truck look like it was born with a cummins.

That's awesome. Where are you located? I'm using a Mopar 8-3/4 rear with 3.55s and posi lock. My project is on hold right now cause I'm trying to get my '39 Plymouth coupe on the road for spring time. The truck is more of a long term project as i had that thing torn down to just a bare frame. I currently have the 4bt in place and most the fab work on the chassis done. But the cab needs lots of sheetmetal work. Looks like you're moving right along though. I can't wait for the first ride in my truck. I'm sure the truck will move right along with all that torque. Keep up the good work.

I read an earlier post you made asking about oil pressure gauge. The oil pressure gauge tap on the 4bt is on the same side as your injection pump. Below the injection pump and to the rear of the engine a little. If you need a pic I can snap one of my engine. If you use a mechanical gauge then you just need a fitting to tap into the block and hook up the oil line.

-Chris

Edited by 1952B3b23

That's awesome. Where are you located? I'm using a Mopar 8-3/4 rear with 3.55s and posi lock. My project is on hold right now cause I'm trying to get my '39 Plymouth coupe on the road for spring time. The truck is more of a long term project as i had that thing torn down to just a bare frame. I currently have the 4bt in place and most the fab work on the chassis done. But the cab needs lots of sheetmetal work. Looks like you're moving right along though. I can't wait for the first ride in my truck. I'm sure the truck will move right along with all that torque. Keep up the good work.

I read an earlier post you made asking about oil pressure gauge. The oil pressure gauge tap on the 4bt is on the same side as your injection pump. Below the injection pump and to the rear of the engine a little. If you need a pic I can snap one of my engine. If you use a mechanical gauge then you just need a fitting to tap into the block and hook up the oil line.

-Chris

I'm in Raymond NH right next to newengland drag way. Hit me up if your ever over this way we can have a beer. The oil fitting I was referring to was at the gauge not the engine. B1B Keven here on the forum is hooking me up with some gauges and oil line fitting he even sent me the link on ebay for the 12v to 6v resistor I need for the fuel gauge. I will update with photos of the new gauges,fitting,resistor. As soon a I get them!

I'm in Raymond NH right next to newengland drag way. Hit me up if your ever over this way we can have a beer. The oil fitting I was referring to was at the gauge not the engine. B1B Keven here on the forum is hooking me up with some gauges and oil line fitting he even sent me the link on ebay for the 12v to 6v resistor I need for the fuel gauge. I will update with photos of the new gauges,fitting,resistor. As soon a I get them!

Thats cool, thanks for the offer i'd like to check out the truck if im ever up that way.

Sorry i misunderstood your question on the oil gauge. Keven is definitely the go to guy for the gauges though, he sold me a restored speedo for my truck and it's really nice. 

-Chris