Radioshack Closing

DJ194950

Announced today (late yesterday?)  almost 1800 stores closing between mid. Feb. and mid march. :(

Time to shop them for close-outs.

Recently someone posted about a 6v-12v. alarm he used as a  turn signal alarm - bought it cheap at a closing Radio shack  store. Time to go shopping next week??  as all store employees should get the message this coming  week. Need anything for the project??

Just throwing the info out there,

DJ

As a kid, my dad taught me to fix TVs, so I used to take my wagon and pick up broken TV's & radios off the street for parts, and to fix them.

I took the tubes to Radio Shack on my bicycle, in a shoebox, individually wrapped in toilet paper. They had a huge tube tester. Often it was just one single tube which was blown, and for a buck or three I had a working TV.

They weren't always pretty, but in those days a new 17" black & white TV sold for $50 at Target, and I could sell a working used TV for $15 or $20.

I used the money to buy phonograph records and to build a custom bicycle for my newspaper route. I built it right after seeing the movie Easy Rider, so you can imagine what it looked like.

Anyhow, Dad's tube tester was locked up at the blockhouse, so without The Shack, that stuff would have not been possible. Also I built my first computer from a Radio Shack kit in 1969. My life would be very different today if Radio shack hadn't been around.

I knew Radio Shack was in trouble when they took sooooo long to start selling cellular telephones & mobile devices from established providers.  They had the infrastructure to support that kind of commerce, but they continued to sell batteries, remote control cars, so-so stereo equipment, PC accessories, etc... 

I went into 3 separate Shacks in the last year for various odds & ends, and was greeted by "we don't have that", a csr looking up inventory on their computer, and saying they might could get it in a few days...otherwise known as "something I could do on my own from my laptop or smart phone"...

There are several good electronics suppliers online for project components, but looking online gets tedious versus perusing a paper catalog or browsing shelves of parts...I've had some good ideas by accidentally noticing something completely different from what I have been looking for in catalogs or on shelves to solve other problems, but looking stuff up online, ya almost have to know exactly what you are looking for in order to get any information...for example, NAPA's old website allowed me to look up all kinds of technical information on PCV valves in order to generate a list of a currently manufactured valves to match the displacement of my flatheads, but then they revised their website several years ago that required the user to give a vehicle for reference and most of the technical information was no longer available.  But that's the way of the world now I reckon:  if ya are working on something outside of "the system", then you are on your own :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I was in our local store on Thursday morning, and the guy there told me that it was going into bankruptcy that day.  This whole store won't close completely, as Radio Shack was just a section of an electrical store.  He said that there was the possiblity that Amazon would buy it.