Pulling Axles

Well, Doug's suggestion about separating the differential and using some cord and gasket-maker to fix my leak didn't work. I couldn't pull it apart enough to even pull out the old gasket and clean the surface. Looks like I'll need to pull the axles to free up the carrier. I can't tell from the manual whether I'll have remove the backing plates, shoes, and lines. Can't I just pull the axles out a few inches to free up the carrier, put a new gasket in and then shove the axles back in and button it up?

• Like 1

The backing plates are easy - remove the brakes with them. Keep note of the shims on each site. While you're doing that, might as well replace the inner and outer seals on each side too, and repack the axle bearings.

I think this is where Ed's PVC pipe trick comes into play, for getting the axles out?

• Like 1

The backing plates are easy - remove the brakes with them. Keep note of the shims on each site. While you're doing that, might as well replace the inner and outer seals on each side too, and repack the axle bearings.

I think this is where Ed's PVC pipe trick comes into play, for getting the axles out?

Shims?  Where are they?

The way the local, old time mechanic showed me (for Mopar 1/2 ton trucks or cars) 50 years ago (damn that makes me feel old) was to pull the drum, then take off the brake backing plate.  Once that was done, put the drum back on and snug down the nut that holds it.  Hold a piece of 2x4 across the inside diameter of the drum and hit the 2x4  with a 5lb hammer to drive the axle out.  You usually have to rotate the drum and whack the 2x4 several times,  I have used this method more times than I care to count - it works.

After the axles are out, replace the inner seals for the axles - or they will leak - then you can remove the pumpkin .  When you put the axles back in, turn it till you feel it line up (it will go in a bit) and a light tap or two with the 2x4 once its lined up, replace the outer seal in the brake backing plate and bolt it back in place, connect your brake line and put the brake drum back on. Oh, and get the drums on the correct side of the car unless you want to pull them again - that whole L & R lug bolt thing (don't ask how I know...)

Remember to bleed and adjust the brakes.

Edited by Bobacuda

The PVC pipe trick is a piece of pipe as a spacer. You pull the drum and backing plate then put the Pipe over the axle. Then you put the drum back on and use the nut to pull the axle. If you're careful you don't even get the drum stuck back on the taper

As in lock nuts?

Or are there copper washers there too?

I'd at least get new copper washers. Nuts should be ok to reuse.

Use just RTV for the pumpkin to housing seal. no gasket - gaskets always leak in this case!

Pulled the hubs/drums today to save time when the guys show up on the 21st. Looks like one of the brake cylinders has been leaking. Darn!

OK - now your starting to scare me as I have to do inner seals next. At least I know I won't have

Bobacuda's problem as both my rear drums are left-hand thread.

Pulled the hubs/drums today to save time when the guys show up on the 21st. Looks like one of the brake cylinders has been leaking. Darn!

You've got more will power than I do. I couldn't wait 10 days I'd be tearing it apart myself and hoping I could put it back together(well in this case I know I could)

As in lock nuts?

Yes, nylon lock nuts...

I would guess that those have been messed with by some previous owner. My truck did have them too but all the others I've messed with were just standard nuts with lock washers. You are not swapping diffs right just fixing leaks? I swapped a car diff into mine and I did run into a couple spots where the housing was a little bit thinner than the truck one so I had to double washer them. If I had known this before I could have swapped in a new stud or put a couple more threads on them.

I had an older piece of farm equipment fail because the nylon lock nuts, which were quite old, came loose as the nylon had become brittle and no longer locked the nut in place.  As for repeat usage, I reckon this varies with nut size & quality of nylon.  I've seen larger nylon lock nuts that lose their effectiveness after one use, and smaller (under 1/4") nylon lock nuts that could be used repeatedly.  Since using the prevailing torque lock nut, I generally have opted to not use the nylon lock nuts, as the PTLNs are not as susceptible to failure from heat, age, or fatigue...on more than one occasion, I have converted a regular hex nut into a PTLN as a temporary solution as I had a bench vise and machinist's hammer available and needed to complete a project in a timely manner :cool:

• Like 1