NEW DOOR LOCKS

Seaside Pete

Yet another problem.

When I purchased my P15 it never had any keys for the Doors or Trunk, so I bought some NOS locks. I have fitted the trunk lock and I am now trying to fit the Door locks. I have the trim off but can't see how to get at the inside of the lock to take off any clips or whatever holds the lock in place. Has anybody fitted any before? If so some help would be great.

Thanks

Pete

open the front door and then theere should a very little screw that goies into the door frame just in the same location as the lock. This hold the lock inthe door frame.  Check you service manual and look for the screw that is how it done on my 39 Desoto.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rick gave the correct answer, but let me elaborate on it. Please see below "fig.2" on the body manual:

2eb33ba790fcdc7187aaef891a6b3243.jpg

On my car the tiny door covering the hole where the set screw hides was partially covered by weather stripping.

Without this picture in the body manual I would never found it.

• Like 1

Someone posted way back somewhere that if the screws did not come loose that you could bend the bracket that the screw goes through just enough to release the lock.

Seems that it was also posted that the bracket could be popped off completely allowing for the lock to be held the way the newer ones(50's) are with the spring clip that slides in the slots on edge of the lock.

I did not have good luck removing my set screws........but managed to drive out the complete lock cylinder using, as I recall from 

many years ago, a large nail or punch and hammer.     Since then, have placed chrome plugs in the holes and had no locks. 

But, not long ago I bought some locks complete with key........so may try to install them and see what happens. 

But almost all of them are stuck tight. A good soaking with a penetrant for a few days wouldn't hurt any. I say that in memory of the set screws I've ruined.

Yes, I've been trying to turn one of these for the last few weeks. Broke one screwdriver already.

"Sticky little mothers". I have checked and mine has set screws that will not budge, so have soaked them and will try again tomorrow. It looks like they have some type of spring clip on them as well??

Pete

while it is probably not much help to you as your car may be in good state of paint..but with the working of my doors I had to heat the screw twice cherry red and let cool to evaporate the rust barrier than had them seized.  I was able to save both the inner threads and the Allen set screw this way.  You only get one good shot at these guys before having to drilling them out carefully.  Good luck with them

There should be just the sleeve with the screw in it holding the lock cylinder.  I've never seen any clips.

I've never seen a clip holding the lock but I have seen some cars with a little clip filling in the access hole.

Not to hijack this thread but when I got my '40 painted I ran out of time to remove the door lock (which wasn't working) and the shop said they would remove it before painting. Of course they didn't. Any ideas on how to remove the door lock without tearing the paint that is filled in around the edges of the lock on the outside of the door (base/clear)?

Phil

You might be able to cut a thin gasket slightly larger than the the lock cylinder to hide any cut-paint lines after you replace the locks.

Good idea. Thanks.

Phil

P.S. It is currently tucked away for the winter but by early April I will give this a shot.

Edited by 40phil41