who knows cummins?

I think it is too darn old to have that number, havent found any other plates.

However, I ripped off the siezed hydraulic pump hung on the back of the unit, and without that broken turd the thing spins just fine!

Hooking up a truck battery and some jumpers got the thing cranking over on it's own, although it sounds like some valves are hung open.

So the engine seems in good enough shape so far!

One of our customers installed one in a 37 Dodge 11/2 ton truck.

_MG_5534_zps0f8a8c28.jpg 2014-04-04174807_zpsf6ce7010-1.jpg 2014-BBQ (25).jpg

That is awesome!do you have any more pictures under the hood? That would appear to just be a 4BT, and it fits pretty well

Edited by 41/53dodges

According to the information you have from the tag the engine was built in 65 and the esn is 126816 and has a PTR fuel

system. These engine were great in the construction field but not so much so on the automotive side. They were know for cranking heads. I think you would be better off with a 5.9 or an 8.3

as far as the spark plug/glow plug it was a cold starting aid. there was a primer pump in the cab which sprayed fuel on the hot glow plug and actually burned in the intake to heat the incoming air. The only thing Cummins might be able to

find for you is the build record.

According to the information you have from the tag the engine was built in 65 and the esn is 126816 and has a PTR fuel

system. These engine were great in the construction field but not so much so on the automotive side. They were know for cranking heads. I think you would be better off with a 5.9 or an 8.3

as far as the spark plug/glow plug it was a cold starting aid. there was a primer pump in the cab which sprayed fuel on the hot glow plug and actually burned in the intake to heat the incoming air. The only thing Cummins might be able to

find for you is the build record.

That does not appear to be an R type pump (i have a cummins manual here thanks to Merle), its the standard automotive type pump. The original grader actually used a foot pedal just like a truck, which controlled throttle that way. It was a very strange machine, hence why they scrapped it early for poor design. Do you have any idea why the heads cracked? Excessive heat, poor fuel, etc.

According to your photo of the fuel pump it is a PTR (P= pressure T= timed and R= regulated) an replaced the old

double disk system. If you feel on the back side of the main housing there will be a hex headed cap(15/16"wrench)

which houses the pressure regulator. The simplest way to tell a R pump there will be a return line on the top of the

main housing Yes it is a automotive pump which was replaced by the PTG (Pressure Timed Governed)pump.

The heads cracked due to over heating(coolant lose, loose belts) or over fueling. Good luck with your project and keep

us updated.

Ah, that clears things up a bit. This was a complete operating unit when it came in, and having had a torque converter leads me to believe it led a life of leisure (torque converter models only put out 75% of rated power after the converter, thus preventing any shock loading and such)

Of course I want to make it run before I put anything down for it, would rather suck to wind up with a trash motor!

Thank you for your help guys, I think I know just about enough to move forward.

My Grandfather says the older c175 wasn't that great of an engine.  He didn't say why.  I am looking at a hough front end loader that has the same engine, but I also have 4 and 6bt engines to replace the c175 if needed.  As far as transmission combos available, the bt series has a plate that bolts on the back of the block and you can get ford, chevolet, dodge, and sae transmission bolt patterns.  If the c175 flywheel housing comes off the block, you probably could bolt one of these to the back and run any transmission you wanted.  What I have found is cummins engines with a lot of use behind a manual transmission, the thrust bearing on the crankshaft is worn and the crank will walk back and forth some.  As far as power and rpm, you can turn up the fuel and rpms, but do so at your own risk. 

This motor had a torque converter behind it, so the thrust bearing shouldn't have ever done much anything. Ive got a 5 spd overdrive that should bolt right up. I would have a much easier time if someone could tell me why this motor supposedly is no good! My friend also has a Detroit 4-53 non turbo, but those things are so noisy...

Not only NO but H%%% no you cannot bolt up the new style adaptor to the Old C160,175,180 etc.

The old C is a completely different, and has a larger block casting and bolt pattern.

These engines were used in dump trucks, mixers, graders, loaders, and other uses.

The biggest drawback would be parts availability. The predecessor to this engine was the J series and in 1952 Cummins modified one and won the pole position in the 1952 at the Indy 500. The car did not finish because the turbocharger suckedup the rubber residue off the track and plugged the intake.

Just a little history. Have you had the engine running yet?

I would have a much easier time if someone could tell me why this motor supposedly is no good! 

'Good' is a relative term, open to interpretation by the masses...It might just be that folks are comparing this one to the current B59 design, which by all accounts, is excellent.  I might be inclined to ask a few more questions before jumping on an 'old' engine that I had little knowledge of as some surprises can gobble up buckets of otherwise useful cash.

If the early engine was desirable then why has it sat for so long? and why is it seemingly 'cheap'?...('cheap' is also open to dissection...)

Just my thoughts of course.

Very interesting thread. Keep us posted as you go along.

• Like 1

Haven't actually tried running it yet, but I had it turning over albeit rather slowly. Jumper cables and a truck battery just don't cut it in -5 degrees!

It acts like a couple cylinders don't have any compression, probably hung up valves, stuck rings, etc. but it ran when it came in.

I had never mentioned the overdrive trans being new!  ;)  Its actually bolted to a blown up 855 cummins right this moment, but it's there!

Its still there primarily because the owners were going to use it to power their sawmill before it closed up some time back, and sat there ever since.

They're asking $1000 for it last I asked, but going through my friends here has its benefits such as free reign of their parts, help, and beer.

6BT's are going around 2-3k here for some odd reason, which makes this motor a bit more attractive along with it's old school cool.

I would be glad to answer any questions, probably some in here I haven't even thought of myself!

While the weather is cold you might want to do some investigating into available parts that will be needed for the repower. One main part would be a clutch style flywheel as the converter wheel is different. A couple of places that deal with older engines in this area are Sharf and Co. (Springfield IL) and Engine rebuilders in DesMoines IA

I think i already have that one knocked, the 855 laying there with the trans appears to take the same wheel, so that SHOULD be perfect. It would likely need a better radiator, probably another aluminum griffin. Driveshaft is to be determined, as would be a possibly heavier front axle

• 2 weeks later...

So an update on this diesel project, the Cummins is pretty well off the table. So I turned up a 3-71 General Motors Diesel (Detroit diesel) a couple hours from here. Big noisy turds but I just can't help but love the sound :wub: . The perk is that the local yard has a dead 6-71 I can strip for parts, like a flywheel...

Only issue is getting up the nerve to go and fetch the thing with my 1/2 ton Chevy!

PS- if it pleases the mods I am going to keep using this so as to not clutter up the forum