2 BBL on later truck L6 engines?

It seems to me I read somewhere that some of the later 230 equipped trucks came with a 2 BBL carb and manifold. If there is anyone here that has information and/or photos of this set up could you please share it? It would be great to see an actual set up and in particular the linkage.

Thanks, Jeff

The trucks never came with the 2BBL Stromberg carb and manifold.

The 1956 dodge cars did though. And maybe up to 1958.

Young Ed has one and posted pics of it.

I have owned and sold a couple of them.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

I've got one of these also.  Been trying to figure out how to do the linkage so it looks factory-original.  As was mentioned, these 2BB's came on some of the cars - mine came from a 56 Dodge with a 230 motor. The issue is that the linkage on the cars comes across the top of the head via a swivel bolted to the head. As you can see in Ed's photo, the carb linkage is on the driver's side. To remedy this I spun the carb 180 degrees to put it on the other side, which is where the truck linkage comes up. I had to raise the carb with a big spacer to allow the choke to clear the head. I made the linkage from rod stock and they look just like the factory linkage. The issue I'm dealing with now is that when the carb is turned around the to line up with the linkage mounted on the intake manifold (one must drill and tap the two bosses) the respective levers actuate in opposite directions. The next move is to fabricate a third lever between the two to compensate for the different movements. This also entails making something to mount the lever to.  When I think about it too much I get a headache...

• Like 3

My thought so far is to use a different gas pedal with a cable and operate the carb that way. Of course that won't work for you guys trying to keep the stock look.

I would take the extra 8hp or whatever it yields. I think if I were to go this route I would want to combine it with some split exhaust headers. It seems from the testing I have done so far that the 1BBL Carter set up tends to run richer than necessary below around 2000 RPM. I would like to be able to address this. I don't really care about looking original so perhaps there is a way to fit a more modern and tunable 2 BBL ? I am just guessing here but I would think it might be possible to gain 12 to 20 hp with a mod like this along with some improvement in the combustion process.

Jeff

When I rebuilt my 230 I bored it 60 over and put in a "mild" RV cam. I also put on split cast iron headers (Fenton clones) and ran it through dual Smithy mufflers.  Frankly, I haven't noticed any difference, but I'm still running the stock 1BB.  I'm hoping to notice something with the 2BB setup... :)

Jim;

It seems to me you will notice it once you have the 2BBL on. I can't imagine you would gain much if anything just doing the exhaust mods.......unless you were replacing a very restrictive system. When I have done stuff like this on other cars I have owned it always seemed that getting the carb just right made the most difference. I feel certain you will have a smile on your face once you get it done.

Jeff

A lot of good info on this site for carb. changes 1-2 etc. and cfm to work best. classicinlines .com

http://classicinlines.com/carbchoice.asp.

DJ

• Like 2

Thanks Doug for that link. As I am already a big fan of Webers I found that section particularly gratifying. :)

I have in the past had some really good results using side draft Webers on inline OHV engines. I wouldn't expect quite the transformation I got with those on one of our engines. But there is no reason to think one of those mentioned in that article wouldn't yield the results I am after. One of the things I like the most about how these carbs are engineered is that they can often be tuned to get the best power and improve fuel economy at the same time. I found these conversions on street vehicles can often show a 15% to 25% gain in MPG depending on how it was driven. I will take that any day.

More to think and dream about. ;)

Jeff