318 poly, need to know, what standard parts are needed.

rockin rebel

ok, you guys did so good on the info for a 318 Poly, now I think I want to put a stick behind it... lots of truck parts around but not much car standards around my area.. thanks again     what will work for me.????

what years..? bolt on, flywheel too....Is this because most of the poly is 318 la, style.??   Chevy guy here..new to mopar. thanks

Edited by rockin rebel

Yeah, well....not all 318-P are created equal.

Up to model year 1962, the 318-P has the same block bolt pattern as the EarlyHemi.

Some of these engines have also been reported as 1962 models so some 'discovery' is require if you have a '62.

Additionally, the crank flange is different between pre- and post-62 and there is NO interchange in flywheels between the two.

If you have a post 62 engine then most LA bellhousings, flywheels (forged cranks only) and transmission will bolt up. Most bellhousings...some of the pickups and vans used a 143 tooth flywheel which does not fit/work in a 130 tooth bell, and vice-versa.

The 143 tooth package is most often found with the 3+1 overdrive trans, so, if you want to use it then you will need to 'fix' the flywheel balance.

So, what exactly do you have and what trans are you trying to use?

per mopar engine book all A engines (A nd LA) have the same bell housing.. the bell housingon the back of the early hemi is close...BUT...while the bell will bolt up..the flywheel and crank is not in the same position between the two...this is due to the increased overhang of the early hemi crankshaft..you can however use an adapter to use later A tranny on the early Hemi..

per mopar engine book all A engines (A nd LA) have the same bell housing.. the bell housingon the back of the early hemi is close...BUT...while the bell will bolt up..the flywheel and crank is not in the same position between the two...this is due to the increased overhang of the early hemi crankshaft..you can however use an adapter to use later A tranny on the early Hemi..

Yeah, well, not the first mistake ever put in a book. Feel free to ask around or compare photos.

I admit I quoted the book on Mopar engines by Mopar and the position of the TC/flwheel when used between early hemi that the later A engine was derived and I also confirmed this per a number folks running said interchanges per  number of Mopar forums  Could you tell me why they will not work...I cannot find a website that disproves the book..always willing to learn..the tranny itself in auto  has gone through a fairly heavy morph over the years...from cast iron to aluminum, different latching park paws, single cable, dual cable, lever , input shaft spline count etc etc and not to mention the output for the trunion over that of the cross type joint..

thanks

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I have an Oz 1962 Chrysler Royal 318 Poly & cast iron trans in my 1940 Dodge....over the yrs I have considered updating to a 1963-1966 Poly with the alloy torqueflite however for various reasons have not done so........however my understanding is that the alloy T/f will bolt onto the early block but as is mentioned the crank flange attachment is the problem in that the cast iron T/F uses a torque convertor that uses studs into the crank flange like the early Hemi, whereas the alloy setup uses a "normal" style flexplate that bolts onto the crank flange, the bolt/stud spacing and overall length/space are different which is why an adaptor same as required by the early hemi is also needed when working with a Poly that originally had a cast iron auto........the BEST setup to use is a 1963 onwards Poly, whether any originally came with a 4 speed I'd doubt as by 1963 they were only the grocery getter engine, not a performance option but I'd have thought a 3 speed manual would have been available as a grocery getter/base model option or pickup truck option........the manual flywheel and bell housing are the important considerations here so that if you find that then I'd surmise that the 4 speed gearbox pattern would have been the same..........tho' did Chrysler only have the one 4 speed, ie the big New Process g/box or was there something smaller available more suited to the 273-318 A series?......anyway I hope I haven't muddied the waters ......lol.........andyd

The early block bolt pattern and dowel pin location are the same as the EarlyHemi.

The crank flange design is similar to the EarlyHemi. In fact I have had conversations with customers who have

measured two different flange bolt patterns; one the same as the EarlyHemi and one with a slightly smaller bolt circle

although still having 8-bolt holes and thus the reason for them calling to inquire as to why my adapter did not fit/work on their engine.

Currently I do not have a photo of a pre-62 block but I'll get one and post it.

update Feb 2

I will have an early block next week and will post some photos, in the meantime.....

http://www.moparfins.com/Repairs/Transmissions/Difference_in_Poly_Transmissions.htm

Feb 9

Well, the early block was dropped off...it was, however, not an A engine...

Edited by wayfarer