SUCESSFUL REAR AXLE SWAPS.

48ply1stcar
Go to solution Solved by 48ply1stcar,

On 1/29/2015 at 5:38 AM, Robert Horne said:

I am using a 1995 Ford Ranger rearend, 58.50 wide, 3.73 gear, drum type.

Had to add 1 inch spacers to get the tire out to where I wanted them.

The Explorer would be a better fit in my Coupe.

I believe my Jeep rear, 60 inch wide, will be the best fit with my 70's wheels.

Did the drive shaft bolt right up to the ranger rear end?

18 hours ago, 52cranbrook4 said:

Did the drive shaft bolt right up to the ranger rear end?

Using Explorer rear end on my '50 coupe it did not. I made a 'coupler' but eventually had a proper driveshaft made. It was less than $300 and well worth it.

5 hours ago, Xlarashun said:

My Dad and Granddad used to make those in the mid-fifties for the Mopar dealerships, because, they were ripping the drive shafts out of them on the showroom floor!

are you referring to the rear axle getting ripped out or the ball and trunion style joint...Mopar continued the ball and trunion I know through '65 connecting some pretty serious HP to them as they saw service with the B engines.....

• Like 1

I bought a 5 bolt Dakota rearend from Falconvan for my '47 Plymouth but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I believe the Dakota has somewhere around 3.55 gears. He relocated the spring perches and rebuilt the rearend but ended up using an Explorer rear. My car has already had the u-joint conversion completed so it should be an easy swap. The original rear is working fine, brakes are good, etc. so it's not a priority. I'll post results when I finally get around to changing it.

That's my 100th post!! I'm getting way too gabby!! :)

Edited by MackTheFinger
  • Like 2

Dad told me that they were at one of the dealerships picking up two new shop pickups, and a salesman managed to toss the drive shaft out of a brand new '57 Imperial with a prospective customer in it! Dad told them that they could fix the problem!  They went to the shop on  Monday, and built ten replacement shafts for them by wednesday!

The Explorer assembly already has a flange on each end. IDK if the bolt pattern is the same as the old Mopar.

Mixing parts and brands that are 60 years apart generally requires some fab work.  Only when you have the rear axle installed will you actually know what the new driveshaft length will be.  OK, if you find some who has done the exact same swap then you could use their dimensions but, it would probably be faster to do the swap than to search for that 'one' person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wayfarer said:

The Explorer assembly already has a flange on each end. IDK if the bolt pattern is the same as the old Mopar.

Mixing parts and brands that are 60 years apart generally requires some fab work.  Only when you have the rear axle installed will you actually know what the new driveshaft length will be.  OK, if you find some who has done the exact same swap then you could use their dimensions but, it would probably be faster to do the swap than to search for that 'one' person.

Just to answer the above question: Neither the flange from an 8.8 or the 7.5 Ford axle is the same as the one needed to bolt to our transmissions....  I have them both sitting on my shelf and the bolt circles are too large.

Adam

On edit:  When I installed the Ford 8" in my 49 Dodge Wayfarer, the new driveshaft was an overall length of 59 inches.  Your results may vary but you have an idea on the length needed.  + or - and inch or 2.  I don't think the Explorer driveshafts are that long, but I have never measured one.

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used a Mopar "E" Body 8-3/4" Rear that bolted to the stock springs without modification.  I did stack the stock u-bolt /shock mount plate between the 8-3/4 u-bolt plate and the rear end or the shock mounting.  Been running it since 1989.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Randy Curran said:

I used a '79 Nova 10 bolt.  Just moved the perches.  I have dual bolt pattern wheels so no biggie there.  I know it's a Chevy part but the engine (SBC) and rear axle were free and I'm broke so...

hi ,

is this the same axle as a second generation camaro ? ( i also have a sbc in the corner off the garage :) )

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, wayfarer said:

When I installed my 5 speed Ranger trans, I made an temp adapter to fit a temp driveshaft, to fit on my Plymouth rearend,

Worked ok.   I later changed to a Ranger rear, with a Explorer driveshaft..

driveshaft b.jpg

adapter, driveshaft.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:50 PM, ACJCF2 said:

This has been a great thread and a huge source of information.  I picked up a 94-95 Jeep Cherokee rear end for my 49 Coronet. I believe it to be a 3.55.

My 98 XJ Jeep 2 wheel drive has a 3.55 rear, looks to be a good fit for my 37 or 38 Coupe.....