SUCESSFUL REAR AXLE SWAPS.

48ply1stcar
Go to solution Solved by 48ply1stcar,

I have been searching for threads that I have read before about which axle to use.  But, today I couldn't fine the information I wanted.

Can we generate a list of axles that make a good swap.

Don, I know about the list of old mopar cars, I'm looking for the years of Dakota, ranger, explorer and others that may be less than 30-years-old.

• Like 2

For the easiest direct swap and using the stock wheels you could use any of these, all are ford 8.8 (same as explorer)

-94-98 mustang gt....61" from wheel flange to wheel flange

-99-04 mustang gt....62.4" from wheel flang to wheel flange

I used an 87 Ford thunder bird axle housing and swapped in mustang axle shafts to convert from 4 lug to 5 lug. Havent actually used mine yet (drove it under its own power) but it fits very nicely under the car. Here is a chart explaining the ford 8.8 interchangeability although it only shows the cars.

rearswapcopy-1.jpg

I see on The Ranger Station, link from Smokybear that their is mention of a 2 inch offset.   Does it in anyway affect the drive shaft tunnel, or is that something that is a nominal amount.

With progress getting slower and slower I'm allready a year behind just on getting the engine runnig with a front seat back in the car.

Anyone in favor of the Cherokee rear axle?

I am using a 1995 Ford Ranger rearend, 58.50 wide, 3.73 gear, drum type.

Had to add 1 inch spacers to get the tire out to where I wanted them.

The Explorer would be a better fit in my Coupe.

I believe my Jeep rear, 60 inch wide, will be the best fit with my 70's wheels.

If you used the 58.5" ranger axle with 1 inch spacers on each side thats a total width of 60.5" . Plus with that axle there is a 2" off set.

I suggest that if you are leaning toward using the ranger axle or even like the idea of it but want a centered differential, take a look at the chart i posted. Pick up a 94-98 Mustang GT axle. You will have the same 8.8" ring gear but it will be centered in the axle, then you wont have to worry about the driveshaft having clearance issues. It comes with disc brakes and the correct bolt pattern. 

In the chart if its a 7.5" ring gear its a v6 car, if its a 8.8 its a GT/V8 car (Mustangs only Thunder bird and Cougars were a bit different. Only the Thunderbird Turbo coupe was a 8.8)

• Like 1

Lots of good info in this thread (w/more to follow, I'm sure)......axle swap is on my "to do" list. Please post ratio, overall tire diameter, engine/trans info.....if avaiable.

I see on The Ranger Station, link from Smokybear that their is mention of a 2 inch offset.   Does it in anyway affect the drive shaft tunnel, or is that something that is a nominal amount.

With progress getting slower and slower I'm allready a year behind just on getting the engine runnig with a front seat back in the car.

Anyone in favor of the Cherokee rear axle?

I have been running the 95 Ranger rear 3.73 a couple years now, doing great,

driveshaft-no problem, drum brakes are good on the rear....

My 95 Ranger rear was free, and I have another Ranger rear with a 3.25 gear,

too high I believe.      Think I will go with the 3.55 Cherokee.....

I have been searching for threads that I have read before about which axle to use.  But, today I couldn't fine the information I wanted.

Can we generate a list of axles that make a good swap.

Don, I know about the list of old mopar cars, I'm looking for the years of Dakota, ranger, explorer and others that may be less than 30-years-old.

Keep in mind not just the width of the rear, but what wheels, and tires you plan on using.

I measured and tested what my tire/wheel/rearend combination would look like on my car.

Came out with a measurement from the outside tire tread edge of one tire to another tire.

I believe around 67 or 68 inch, tread to tread was my best fit....

Edited by Robert Horne
  • Like 1

The early Cherokee/wranglers (mid 80's to late 90's) axle was a Dana 35. this axle is not well thought of in the jeeping world, as it has a reputation of failing under hard use with larger tires. This should not be a problem in our world, but later Cherokee's came with a mopar 8.25 which if you can find one might be a better choice than the dana. Both 60" wide, and came in 3.55 & 3.73 with our bolt pattern.

The Ranger/exploder 8.8 diff is slightly offset to the Passenger side & the axle is slightly narrower than the Jeep if memory serves, but this was never a problem on the wrangler. So lots of choices out there.

I used a Ford Explorer rear from a 01 so I could get the factory disc brakes. On thing about that, The stock wheels will not fit. They won't clear the calipers. I ended up using Jeep wrangler steel wheels. Even then I needed 1/2" spacers and had to notch a small piece out of the caliper. All is good now.

Has anybody done the late model axle swap and the S10 5 speed swap? I plan on doing this combo and was qurious about hooking up the factory park brake handle to the park brake on the swapped rear brakes. I haven't looked at the catalog but assume Lokcar makes some form of cable that can mate the two. Input and advice is alway welcome.

Has anybody done the late model axle swap and the S10 5 speed swap? I plan on doing this combo and was qurious about hooking up the factory park brake handle to the park brake on the swapped rear brakes. I haven't looked at the catalog but assume Lokcar makes some form of cable that can mate the two. Input and advice is alway welcome.

On my 38 Coupe 5 speed Ranger TKO/Ranger rearend, I used my 38 Coupe's under dash hand brake setup with the Ranger rearend parking brake cables/brakes/etc.

I haven't checked recently, but at one point Lokar had a parking brake conversion setup that was specifically designed for our cars.

Marty

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

98' Ford Explorer rear end in a 50' Ply Bus Coupe. Had to fab up rear shock mounts using the Explorer shock mounts but other than that, pretty easy.

Were you able to use the stock wheels?