More Master Cylinder problems

ushp12

I did receive a new MC kit, in the original box, and proceeded to install it in the MC. Everything fit very well. I then bled the MC using new fluid. I re-installed the MC and put everything back together. I then began to Bleed the Brakes and got fluid to each of the Wheel Cylinders. Before I bled the brakes I started the car to create some vacuum pressure. As I was bleeding, fluid came out of all the Bleeder Valves, but I had no pressure at the brake pedal. I noticed that after pumping the brakes, the fluid was going down in the MC. I kept it full. So I finally decided to stop to get more info. Also, when I tightened up the filler plug to the MC and pumped the pedal again, brake fluid was coming out of the air hole in the plug. I followed the diagram in the Service Manual when putting it back together, I could have swore I got it right.

What am I missing? This is a '40 Plymouth p10, please help!

I also saw that the vent holes in the MC were free and clear.

Why did you start the car to build up vacuum pressure.  The original car and MC would not have been a power assist braking system. To me it sould as if you have something still install incorrectly in the MC.  How did you bleed the brakes at each wheel cylinder?  Did you use a hand vacuum mighty kit to bleed or did you have someone sit inthe car and push the brake pedal to bleed each wheel cylinder?

Where did you statrt the bleeding process, which wheel. SHould start at the furthest wheel from the MC which would be the Right rear, then left rear then right front then left fron to get an even flow of fluid tothe wheels. The instruction should have been in the MC rebuild kit

I will look to see if I have some instructions this same rebuild would be the same for my 39 Desoto with the same MC.

rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I've had problems with no pedal pressure being caused by too much travel in the shoes and wheel cylinders. The master cylinder is not that large of a reservoir for the sizes of the w/c. Make sure you have adjusted all of the shoes before doing anything drastic.

If you changed the piston also, compare the length to your old one. I recall reading a thread/post that the piston lengths were different, causing problems. Just a thought.