Spare Tire Well Rust

Bingster

These photos show the spare tire well rusting through.  I don't suppose anybody makes a patch panel for this?

A scrap yard would be the next bet, but would they have to cut one out of a car to sell it? I suppose that asks and answers my question, but judging from the rim around the well, it was a separate piece that was welded in place.

I'd appreciate any repair advice.

Well, the photos were too big to upload for some reason.

you can resize these quickly through MS Paint...then try again...have you checked with the Plymouth doctor..there are other methods...depends on you and what you want..others find donor car and take sections a bit higher and cut out and place in the bad section, others have even reported using boat trailer fenders as a preshaped patch...I have not seen pictures of that trailer patch so cannot comment on the actual fit..

Doesn't look good and you are smart to replace it. I always wonder why this area rusts as there are three large drainage holes down there. I guess either an accumulations of dust and dirt  or old cloths or other things stuck down there prevent proper drainage. Surprisingly of all the the cars I have, restored or parts cars, I have never seen this issue.

Lucky me!  I have contacted Moore's Salvage, but I think they'll have to cut it out of a car.  I hope that the Plymouth Doctor part will also fit a Desoto of the same years.  But wasn't somebody saying that they had some delivery trouble with them?

Take a look at trailer fenders available at tractor supply it similar. For 20 to 40 bucks, you can use a piece to form the structure of a patch. I bought one and used it as bassis for cab corners on a pickup. The curve is the hard part the fender addresses that arc. They are galvanized so care when welding is critical.

Depends on if you want a show car or want a strong and easier fix.  POR-15 and fiberglass + POR patch (after preparing properly) can do the latter and it dries as hard as a rock.

http://www.por15.com/Floor-Pan-Repair_ep_77.html

http://www.por15.com/FLOOR-PAN-TRUNK-KIT_p_61.html

Edited by jrhoads

I found a good used 185-15 tire for $30 mounted that fit well it the spare tire well. Only plan is is to use it as a spare for limited mileage to get another 215-15 (my current size on chrome wheels)  tire if needed or flat repair, so the diameter of the tire is not of great concern.

Kind of like the the trailer fender partial use as a repair panel if the radius of two parts are very close.

DJ

Correct tire size for spare is 165-15, not 185 Sorry.

Edited by DJ194950

I looked at the TSC trailer fender and it appeared about right. It is bigger than the original in the trunk and would hold a wider radial tire. The radius looked to me to be about 4" bigger than the trunk well, which means you would be welding into the floor pan farther away from the edge of  the original.  You'd have to see how close it comes to the gas tank before making any cuts. 

• Like 1

OR,? Just use the part needing replacement?  ;)

DJ