Bracing for a record maker

Mark D

We never get that kind of weather here. I don't miss it either. Bad weather that is.

If I wasn't strapped to the desk this week I'd be out trying to find some water to fish in.

Hey you east-coasters! Your monopoly on weather is over.

My Lord! It's actually raining in Fresno!  :lol:

In fact we've had a 1/2" since yesterday AM and my boss had over an inch at his place. Hallelujah!

It's still drizzling so I won't be skating today; or doing or much else except getting the submittal ready for the new CHP HQ & garage. We're sending it to the state architect today.

Now if I can get some new school drawings in and approved for Visalia, I might just get a well deserved breather here.

We've been working a lot of long hours + Saturdays lately, and while it's not unusual for us to do OT, I need a real break.

Anyhow I'm praying for more rain here, less there, but hoping it'll keep coming in moderate amounts.

It's still RAINING. Hasn't rained like this for TWO YEARS! Sure hope we get a couple more days or more to restore our mountain snow pack and our ground water. This is a desert without the control of our snow melt through dams and canals.

if a police officer sees that fall from his roof and land in the road, could he be charged with obstructing a highway?  Inquiring minds want to know..you can get ticketed in Ga. for eating a hamburger..like the hamburger the charge did not stay long but the fact the officer made the pull and wrote the ticket was harassment enough..

Dalton, NE in the far west of Nebraska received some 40+/- inches in one weekend a couple of years age. Traveling though Dalton are 150 coal car trains with up to six diesel engines on each.  They filled trains full of snow to clean out the town and sent the snow north. By the time the trains got to WY or MT whereever they were going the snow was long gone via evaboration.. 

Did I hear someone ask how cold it is here in the Fort?

attachicon.giffrozebuttoff.jpg

Did I hear someone ask how much snow?

attachicon.gifgotsnow.jpg

Not fair - the "gotsnow" photo is from Buffalo's "Snowvember" a few months ago.  It is a violation in New York, but during that particular event the Po-po were being lenient - spirit of the law, not letter of the law...there was so much snow it didn't matter if more fell off car roofs.  I've seen Troopers pull people over for too much snow on their cars, which I applaud, especially if I've been driving behind or near them.  PIA as it may be, I always clear all the snow off my cars before I drive.

Bye-the-bye, I was reading in the paper a couple days ago that western New York's February average temperature this year is colder than Anchorage's, Winnipeg's, and Moscow's.  Everyone's complaining, but hey...its February, still winter.  (Besides, moving to Maine, I'd probably better get used to it, eh?)

People drive around with the snow on top like wow, look at me. Look how much it snowed. Many times I have seen the snow that did not get cleaned off the roof slide down onto the front windshield when slowing down to stop. Great fun there. Not so impressive when that happens.

• Like 1

shel_ny, on 24 Feb 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

People drive around with the snow on top like wow, look at me. Look how much it snowed. Many times I have seen the snow that did not get cleaned off the roof slide down onto the front windshield when slowing down to stop. Great fun there. Not so impressive when that happens.

That exact thing happened to me last week. The snow on top of my wife's car slid down covering the windshield. This happened when I hit the brakes to enter my driveway. I was lucky it did not happen while I was driving in traffic. I sure learned a good lesson.

• Like 1

Don Coatney, on 24 Feb 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

That exact thing happened to me last week. The snow on top of my wife's car slid down covering the windshield. This happened when I hit the brakes to enter my driveway. I was lucky it did not happen while I was driving in traffic. I sure learned a good lesson.

remember most accidents happen within 25 miles of home..that is why I moved some 285 miles to Georgia

Hey, I'd like a set to carry on my bike.  I remember having to ride miles on a muddy road bed while road construction was going on, and a set of ordinary zip ties would have made for a lot of traction in a very slick situation.