Bracing for a record maker

Mark D

Weatherman says we have the potential to receive up to 36" of snow starting tonight.  The Governor here in Massachusetts is already called for a state of emergency.  I'm betting that it will take a least two days to dig out of the Blizzard of 2015 before things return to a normal routine.  I'm located in the pink zone, 30 miles due west of Boston, almost into the purple area.  Thanksfully I invested in a 14HP/30" cut Husqvarna last year, should make clean up a bit easier.

6534602_G.jpg

Well Juno ju don't hafta wait till you get all three feet. When we used to get plastered with a lake effect dump I would have two or three runs at it while it was coming down. Then could more easily deal with the last bit after the storm passed. Besides that way I had 3 or4 opportunities for a snifter of brandy.......And if you look at these northeasters it is similar to lake effect as the storm gets its enhanced moisture content from the Atlantic instead of lake Ontario.. Good luck, all stocked up with French toast ingredients?

• Like 1

I am old enough to remember the blizzard of '78, and also to remember shoveling the entire driveway.  Dad bought the 8hp ariens snow blower the week after that storm.  I sold that machine 2 years ago for $150- and it is still running locally.  I will be out every 6" taking passes to keep the driveway open.  Tomorrow late afternoon I will head up to the plymouths garage and snowblow the entire 20,000 sf of roof! 

French toast is over rated, unless you make it with the Gonya method.  But I don't expect I will have the time to wait for the oven.

We are bracing for a record breaker here as well. Today is likely to be the warmest January day ever recorded in Lethbridge in over 130+ years. Right now it is 18C (65F) and it is only 1:15 PM. What little snow we have had is long gone and it has been a real Chinook lately which southern Alberta is famous for. Chinooks are warm winds that blow down the east side of the Rockies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind#In_Canada I have seen a chinook move 2 feet of snow in two days. Old story about a chinook is that the horse is in the snow, the sleigh in the mud, and the dog is kicking up dust behind.

I heard yesterday that the North-east US was due for a big dump and it looks like you are going to get it. Good luck to all forum members in the affected area. Stay warm and SAFE.

Hang on there Mark,

Hope you do have a fireplace and enough chopped firewood to keep the family warm in case of blackout?

Keep posting so that we know you're not entirely buried in snow.

We heard, that ca. 600 flights were cancelled to to the approaching blizzard.

Also Finnair cancelled the flights to N.Y. & Boston tonight and tomorrow.

Best wishes from Finland, stay safe!

/Pekka

529f544f34314412b5d1341719be0479.jpg

• Like 1

We are bracing for a record breaker here as well. Today is likely to be the warmest January day ever recorded in Lethbridge in over 130+ years. Right now it is 18C (65F) and it is only 1:15 PM. What little snow we have had is long gone and it has been a real Chinook lately which southern Alberta is famous for. Chinooks are warm winds that blow down the east side of the Rockies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind#In_Canada I have seen a chinook move 2 feet of snow in two days. Old story about a chinook is that the horse is in the snow, the sleigh in the mud, and the dog is kicking up dust behind.

I heard yesterday that the North-east US was due for a big dump and it looks like you are going to get it. Good luck to all forum members in the affected area. Stay warm and SAFE.

thanks for the explanation of Chinook, on this side of the map i think of salmon :)

I don't know how you guys do it every year..... be safe you guys

I don't know if its the record but it is 45° here in MN today!

• Like 1

Living in New England one is quite familiar with the phrase, "don't like the weather?, wait a minute." 

45° in your neighborhood today Ed means it'll be in ours in two days. (hopefully)

Pekka - awesome photo, too bad its not a mopar leading that parade.

Uncle-Pekka, on 26 Jan 2015 - 3:24 PM, said:Uncle-Pekka, on 26 Jan 2015 - 3:24 PM, said:

Hang on there Mark,

Hope you do have a fireplace and enough chopped firewood to keep the family warm in case of blackout?

Keep posting so that we know you're not entirely buried in snow.

We heard, that ca. 600 flights were cancelled to to the approaching blizzard.

Also Finnair cancelled the flights to N.Y. & Boston tonight and tomorrow.

Best wishes from Finland, stay safe!

/Pekka

529f544f34314412b5d1341719be0479.jpg

that is one huge bobsled track....PS...did the container make it there yet???

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Did someone say 'French Toast'???

Mark, this cannot be over rated if it is made properly, accompanied be fresh brewed coffee, drowned in butter, a spoonful of blueberry jam, with a layer of maple surple and a half dozen of those little breakfast sausages. Under rated, perhaps...over rated, never.

And what the heck is the 'Gonya Method"?

• Like 1

Did someone say 'French Toast'???

Mark, this cannot be over rated if it is made properly, accompanied be fresh brewed coffee, drowned in butter, a spoonful of blueberry jam, with a layer of maple surple and a half dozen of those little breakfast sausages. Under rated, perhaps...over rated, never.

And what the heck is the 'Gonya Method"?

an don't forget the peanut butter, French toast is the best

I am old enough to remember the blizzard of '78, and also to remember shoveling the entire driveway.  Dad bought the 8hp ariens snow blower the week after that storm.  I sold that machine 2 years ago for $150- and it is still running locally.  I will be out every 6" taking passes to keep the driveway open.  Tomorrow late afternoon I will head up to the plymouths garage and snowblow the entire 20,000 sf of roof! 

French toast is over rated, unless you make it with the Gonya method.  But I don't expect I will have the time to wait for the oven.

I lived in a mobile home right on the shore of Lake Erie during the Blizzard of '78.  That was some rough weather!

I hope everyone who is in this storm's path stays warm and safe.

• Like 1

Better someone other than us - for once.  :)   Apart from "Snowvember", western NY has had it pretty easy this winter, despite the grim predictions.  I've only had to use the snow thrower twice so far, and only had to shovel about an inch plus drifts this AM.  Of course, its only January and I probably put a pox on the rest of the winter.  Regardless, hope everyone pulls through.  Interesting how proactive the states are being after the bad press New York received the last two snow storms.  

Woke this morning to 22" in front of the door. So far no real bad wind, but weather man says it not over until 7pm tonight. Brought the snowblower up from the shed last night, it's under a tarp by the side door. Gonna have to dig it out before I get anywhere.

post-3941-0-36172400-1422366202_thumb.jpg

post-3941-0-55071700-1422366215_thumb.jpg

I was 1O when the blizzard of the century came through Nebraska in forty nine. We had a low, low barometer reading for three days and three days of hard snow and 7O mph winds. Dad followed the fences to find the barns to milk the cows and gather eggs. We didn't leave the ranch for four weeks.

Primary roads were opened first and ranchers went to these roads, were picked up and taken to and from towns to get groceries. Cattle were fed by the National Guard from airplanes. google that, it was quite a storm

Best to all who are in this one.

Looks like the air is a bit "thick" there...

Amount of the snow on ground is about the same as here in Jyväskylä now - only that we have got it much slower pace during last 7-8 weeks; 2-3" a week...

The brave birds are still seeking seeds on your yard.

Hope that winds will not go crazy. Take care!

Cheers,
Pekka

• Like 1

Halloween blizzard of '91 in MN...about 36" of snow...I broke 3 shovels clearing what the city put in our driveway of my college rental house. 

Uncle-Pekka, on 27 Jan 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

Looks like the air is a bit "thick" there...

Amount of the snow on ground is about the same as here in Jyväskylä now - only that we have got it much slower pace during last 7-8 weeks; 2-3" a week...

The brave birds are still seeking seeds on your yard.

Hope that winds will not go crazy. Take care!

Cheers,

Pekka

no snow here..but like you, I try to see that the birds so not have to forage for seed...it is theirs for the taking..little fellows need our help in the winter..

• Like 1

Halloween blizzard of '91 in MN...about 36" of snow...I broke 3 shovels clearing what the city put in our driveway of my college rental house. 

and all my candy from trick or treating got wet!

Was 60 and sunny here yesterday. Should be 40-45.

nothing worse than a soggy popcorn ball.......how many here remember popcorn balls? 

I remember getting them but by the time I did they were store bought and contained in plastic.