GEAR RATIOS

ROB-PA

I'm trying to determine what I really need for gearing. Looking at the T5 conversion versus different differential ratios as compared to the stock 3 speed.

I would like to know the ratios for 1st and second gear for the stock 3 speed. I assume that 3rd is 1:1. The 3 speed is the original from my 35 Plymouth if that make a difference.

Does anyone have this information?

I checked the manuals that I have and I don't see it. Don't really want to disassemble and count teeth right now.

Plymouth Transmissions from 1936 to 1941 had a first gear ratio of 2.57 to 1 and a second gear ratio of 1.55 t0 1` from 1936 to 1940.  1941 second gear ratio was 1.83 to 1.  Gear ratio from 1942 to 19543 was first gear 2.57 to 1 and second gear ratio of 1.83 to 1.  If you are asking about a T-5 ratio you must have the transmission code to get the ratios.  My 1935 Motors manual does not list the ratios of any transmissions and my Plymouth service manuals start with the 1936 model.

Edited by james curl

Thanks guys.

I suspect that the ratios James listed are probably the ones for the 35 as well. 1935 seems to have been an oddball year all around. A lot of things changed for 1 year only but I don't think this was one of them.

I just wanted something to compare to when I looked at the various S10 options. It's kind of limiting since they only had the mechanical speedometer output from 83 to 87. If anyone has some good sources for transmissions and parts I would appreciate the information. I found a couple of later T5s for reasonable prices but then could not find any place to get the tailstock and parts for the speedo output.

I found the same chart (or similar) elsewhere. Around here, in the hills and snow country, finding old 2 wheel drive S10s is not so easy. If I can't find a reasonable T5 I may just stick with the 3 speed and put the 3.55 Explorer axle in. I found a good, reasonably priced 3.27 Explorer axle but I was a day late.

Rob, on my 38 I installed a 83to 87 Ford Ranger TKO 5 speed.

I started a thread on here, "5speed,Not T5"  a few years ago.

With 80 hp, makes the my Coupe very driveable for the hilly area I live in.

The TKO has similar gears to the S10 trans.

With the Plymouth 3.9/5speed trans, the first gear was very low, easy to pull out for sure.

With the Ford 3.7 rear, first still low, but great on my steep driveway, and

I pull out in second gear on level highways.

The 4th and 5th gears are great.

I hope to try my 3.5 Jeep rearend soon.    The 5th gear may suffer, but

I will try it anyway.

I have a 36 trans, (free) if you need another stock trans...

Thank you Robert. If I decide to stay stock I will definitely take you up on the offer.

The 36 trans has the parking brake handle in the floor like the 35 does.

I believe my 37 trans does also.

My 38 has the park brake handle under the dash...

I have the 38 rearend 3.9 gearing, (free also) lying in the back of my garage if you need that also,

has an aluminum adapter on it, I made to try out the TKO 5 speed, worked good....,