Been thinking about a Pilothouse again

Mikec4193

Hi Everybody

It was about 2006 or so when I found an old Pilothose truck to rebuild and it ended up to be too rough so I let it go for what I payed of it....My dad had one back in the 1960's and we spent many a day out tooling around the then quiet roads where we lived and I always like the looks of them but when I bought that one in 2006 it was and eye opening experience to find out how hard it was to find parts for these vehicles...

So I went out and bought a bunch of Willys vehicles (trucks and CJ2A's) and a couple of AD style Chevy trucks and I am still working on one as we speak (1953 1 ton) but I found that book by John Jerome about rebuilding his 1950 Dodge truck (which I am going through for the second time) so I start to thinking about getting one again...

I am really enjoying this website...So if any of you veterans have any insight as to where to start this adventure? I would like to find something with some upgrades but not really into the whole shiney hot rod slammed to the ground thing...I am more of an old and smelly kinda truck guy...

MikeC

My suggestion figure out if you want a B1/2 or B3/4 and then start hunting for the best one you can afford. Not sure what you want for upgrades but if its minor stuff like brake upgrades factor in doing that yourself if you find one that doesn't have it.

i think you are overplaying the 'hard to find' card. I have a 52 truck and a 53 suburban and have not found it difficult to find parts. Now I do shop with patinece. I keep in mind what I will need later in the build and watch for these items. I have found four of the ever allusive over drive transmissions for example. But in my experiecne you have to BUY in and be patient. If you really get in a corner, someone on the forum may have one so ask, but don't beg. The forum likes inquiring minds but not all that crazy about sponges. Finally, get a service manual, paper or electronic and have the manual or a printed page on the fender when you work.

Above all, welcome, find that truck and enjoy the journey.

Welcome Mike;

I am going to have to get a copy of that book......you are the 3rd or 4th person who has mentioned it recently. :)

These trucks are very cool. They are an excellent combination of what made Detroit so great back in the 50s. Built stout like a piece of agricultural equipment but with surprising refinements. And you don't see them all that often. Gotta love them. 

Because there is not much in the way of aftermarket or reproduction parts you do have to approach one of these differently than you would an early 50s Chevy. It is really not that big a deal though as there are not that many real stumbling blocks. Pretty much everything can be sourced. It just takes a bit more follow through.

Be patient and vigilant and I feel certain you will find what you are looking for.

And like others have already said this site is your best resource.

Jeff

Welcome Mike;

I am going to have to get a copy of that book......you are the 3rd or 4th person who has mentioned it recently. :)

These trucks are very cool. They are an excellent combination of what made Detroit so great back in the 50s. Built stout like a piece of agricultural equipment but with surprising refinements. And you don't see them all that often. Gotta love them. 

Because there is not much in the way of aftermarket or reproduction parts you do have to approach one of these differently than you would an early 50s Chevy. It is really not that big a deal though as there are not that many real stumbling blocks. Pretty much everything can be sourced. It just takes a bit more follow through.

Be patient and vigilant and I feel certain you will find what you are looking for.

And like others have already said this site is your best resource.

Jeff

Hi Jeff and all you others too...

I have learned from many years of grinding rust and rot from the Northeast/New England vintage tin that finding a southern truck is of huge benefit in the end...if I can find one that is...

So can anybody wanna throw a "ball park" figure out that I might have to spend to pick up something that starts and stops? But might need some TLC...

Any insight would be an awesome thing...

MikeC

Hi Jeff and all you others too...

that starts and stops? ...

MikeC

Starts and...............STOPS!! :rolleyes:  

Might be a big ask!!

From what I am learning starting them is easy, stopping...........well that is something else. Brakes are not their strength :P

Mike;

It is very difficult to give you pricing info as it varies a lot depending on regions and condition. Out here on the west coast I have seen a few decent rust free unmolested runners that were going in the 4K to 8K range. These were survivors and not what I would call restored or upgraded trucks.

Jeff

Geekay, on 24 Jan 2015 - 4:22 PM, said:

Starts and...............STOPS!! :rolleyes:  

Might be a big ask!!

From what I am learning starting them is easy, stopping...........well that is something else. Brakes are not their strength :P

while brakes are not their strength is a bit of an off statement...but consider than a good number of owners do not adjust the brakes with the proper tool lends a bit of credence to your statement...properly repaired and adjusted, they do well yet today, again it is all in the manner in which they are repaired..as brakes of this sort do require a bit of frequent adjustment to stay on the top level of operation..most folks consider disc the better bang for the buck and do the upgrade.

pflaming, on 25 Jan 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

Jeff, the word is "massauged" not molested, it's all in attitude!

I Goggled massauged in search of what the word means. I was directed to the urban dictionary as the word was found in a sentence under the Urban meaning of TATIAN.

Open this link with extreme caution and be prepared for the worst. I cannot make this stuff up.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tatian

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4796844588.html

It would cost about a grand to ship it.

I'd say more like $1500 having some experience about getting something hauled, it's not as cheap as you'd think.

depends truly on the carrier...if you contract it out to a broker the cost will be high and there usually entails a few hidden charges to the customer....beware here...

If you find an independent on the web through a trucker website who list their services of through word of mouth via a car club or other forum where folks are at the ready to haul cars..one can come in at a good price that is more than fail..fuel cost is down at the time also works in your favor..

is that anything like.."massaged"   maybe a California thing?

I think he may have meant to write-- mass-sausaged-- getting closer-- :rolleyes:

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

I Goggled massauged in search of what the word means. I was directed to the urban dictionary as the word was found in a sentence under the Urban meaning of TATIAN.

Open this link with extreme caution and be prepared for the worst. I cannot make this stuff up.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tatian

and i googled "goggled".  to whit:

gog·gle
ˈɡäɡəl/
verb
past tense: goggled; past participle: goggled
  1. look with wide open eyes, typically in amazement or wonder.
    "“What in the world are you goggling at ?”"
    • (of the eyes) protrude or open wide.
i suppose one could goggle the tatian massauge?
  • Like 1