Open Topic Engine Thread?

55 Fargo

Fitting Dual speedtone mufflers made by Matt Bolt in the UK onto a split manifold from AOK on my 41 Windsor with a 241 ,will post a video for the sound,hope it isn't too loud! Then  the interesting part ,trying a triple carb set up from AOK ,BUT swapping the middle carb for the stock carb as it has the bits necessary for the fluid drive semi auto stock transmission ,the outer carbs being the carters that the intake manifold came with .Will it work? Who knows .I may be the only person stupid enough to attempt it.

• Like 1

On April 28, 2017 at 11:16 PM, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

This evening, met up with a 53 or 54 Merc, we both took off from the lights, my Fargo launched much quicker, watched the old merc in my rear view mirror.....LOL it was a nice car though, dual exhaust, sounded nice, that distinct Ford flathead V8 sound, noticed it was for sale...

I am still running a cobbled exhaust with very big stock type mufflers, does not sound that great at all....

In the US, '54 was overhead valve. Maybe different in Canada?

51 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

No overhead valves in Canada, till 55, I think, and Canada had the "Meteor" until 1976, so yes some differences.

As I am not a Furd lover, could have been a 1952 model, but owner told me it has a L head V8.

I was not suggesting I out ran a 292 or 312 Y block. Maybe with my hopped up 265....LOL

The Ford Flathead V8s stock were certainly not  what a 292 or 312 were...

Thought hat might be the case as the flathead V8 sounded nothing like the Y block.

3 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

This verified by 3 things, my tach, my speedo and by GPS.

So of these 3 things what one told you the engine raced to a higher RPM quicker?

Tachometer indicates engine RPM's but with no means of indicating elapsed time.

Speedometer indicates driveshaft rotations with no means of indicating elapsed time.

GPS indicates vehicle speed with no means of indicating elapsed time.

I believe what you are trying to say is that without restrictive mufflers your engine will spin at a higher RPM due to less exhaust restriction. But I, like you, have no means of measuring elapsed time. With my glass pack Smithy mufflers I have spun my engine in excess of 4000 RPM's more than once.

Noise can be fun. With my glass packs, T-5 overdrive transmission, and 355/1 differential ratio selection, I enjoy passing a vehicle on the freeway at 70+ MPH in 4th gear and just as the rear of my car passes the driver window of the car I am passing I take my foot of the gas and man alive I shove it on down into 5th gear overdrive and my exhaust tone changes. Makes the driver I just passed wonder just how many more gears I have to go. :D

• Like 2

Should be interesting to hear what the glass packs do. I had always heard they are more restrictive than turbo mufflers or oversize   Stock mufflers like your walkers. People like the sound of glasspacks. I prefer what actually makes more grunt and HP vs sound.

• Like 1

Mufflers by their very name muffle the sound and by their design restrict the amount of exhaust gas getting quickly out of the engine......."turbo" mufflers were designed to be much less restrictive due to their being used on a turbocharged car which used turbos to increase the amount of air/fuel being forced into the engine.....therefore restrict this or slow it down means a reduction in increased engine varoom........even a low restriction or turbo style muffler if doubled will increase back pressure simply because there is more things for the exhaust to go thru............one turbo muffler about 12-15" long, ideally with 2-2.25" straight inlet/outlet would be plenty for a mopar 6.........might be a bit more noisy than stock but if that's what you want then why bother with exhaust upgrades............ask yourself why race cars don't use mufflers unless they have to by EPA laws........it ain't because they like to spend extra money..........no mufflers equals no back pressure and it may just spin a little higher..............BTW, it ain't a mopar 6 but I have always used a pair of 14" turbo style 2" in/out mufflers on my 318 Poly engined 1940 Dodge, just one muffler on each pipe, that's all......sounds great, at least not stock anyway.......lol............my 2oz cents worth........varoom!!!............Andy Douglas      

6 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

. With my glass packs, T-5 overdrive transmission, and 355/1 differential ratio selection, I enjoy passing a vehicle on the freeway at 70+ MPH in 4th gear and just as the rear of my car passes the driver window of the car I am passing I take my foot of the gas and man alive I shove it on down into 5th gear overdrive and my exhaust tone changes. Makes the driver I just passed wonder just how many more gears I have to go. :D

Is this a reflection in the rear view mirror ?  I thought you were selling your car with wiring issues or did you get it back on the road?

Eventually when I go to a split system, I am thinking about using one dual inlet and dual outlet muffler. Flow master and dynomax etc make stuff like this. Have not researched this entirely since I am far away from making  this change, but i like the idea of running the pipes parallel to one another and out the back. I have seen parallel pipes out the back on other plymouths etc so I assume there is room to do this.

• Like 1

I guess when I get some of my other cars sold I'll put the last year of the Family Flathead on the road with some upgraded carb and exhaust mods. Am I the only one here running a '59 Flathead in the '59 Body???

009.JPG

• Like 1

You do know that came from the factory with a 2bbl Stromberg, right? If you take it off, contact me, I would be interested in buying the intake manifold and the carb.  Good looking 59, up here they all rusted away.

Edited by Mike36
To clarify