Open Topic Engine Thread?

55 Fargo

On 1/27/2015 at 0:35 PM, Andydodge said:

Nice engine Marty........you are also running ARP head studs, every little bit helps......always good to go hunt some Frods.......btw am curious where those plug wire separators are from?........very nice all round.......andyd

Excuse my ignorance here, but what benefit is there,if any, of installing studs over using bolts?  I would assume it would be much easier working with studs when removing and reinstalling heads. 

17 minutes ago, 40desoto said:

Excuse my ignorance here, but what benefit is there,if any, of installing studs over using bolts?  I would assume it would be much easier working with studs when removing and reinstalling heads. 

Removing and installing is probably the biggest gain. When using either the biggest gain is insuring that the shank is undercut to insure no "rust welding" occurs as that causes breakage when removing.

studs.jpg

headbolt.jpg

• Like 2

I've enjoyed these past 8 pages some great some not so. New to sight and a first time builder of flat head Plymouth 6 but much experience with ford v8 flat heads and almost everything else. I bought this 1952 Plymouth suburban out of Adele brown's car collection in Salt Lake City. 44672 miles very nice car but I had plans

it arrived at our shop on a Friday night and my partner meet me for breakfast the next morning. I knew he wonder what was I thinking and what was l planning. You see our shop has produce 29 feature usac wins 2 owner of the year awards in usac 3 NHRA national event wallys(super stock/alcohol funny car/Nitro funny car) multi class wins at Indy, bonnieville with our 32 roadster over 200 mph. You get the idea so when this 218 cid 90 horsepower vehicle I was the blunt of many jokes but I like many of you have grown to love this mayflower. This car now draws more looks than some of our high dollar builds and I love it. The car is the same 100 percent stocker that arrive 10 month ago but she is now Cinderella at the ball .   Detroit Eaton lowering springs front /rear, fatman dropped uprights,fatman front shock kit, Coker wide whites,1957 caddy eldorado hub caps, Neil riddle from Seattle has helped me beyond words. I want to use and find as many factory upgrades and parts to keep it true to it heritage. Radio,clock,back up lights,rear arm rest,stainless belt moldings,door handle key guards,rear fender gravel guards, tailgate inner and outer hinges and handles factory chrome all OEM and most nos but I took some libertys with the engine bored .040 , edgy polished head,offy polishish intake,dual carter carbs 2barrels,tom Landon's linkage and air cleaners,tom's  exhaust manifolds, otb full flow oil filter system,otb fuel filter,otb dip stick, champion aluminum radiator,chrome 6 volt posi ground alternator , dual 6 volt optima battery's , custom fan shroud , etc. don garlits picked it as the best vintage mopar at this year mopar show at his museum. I just returned from Atlanta Autorama with the best wagon beating several nomad wagons.  Over 1000 miles and no hickups with overdrive and 3.70 gears . So go for speed and durability.  Working with tony at Ross Engines (Rodders journal) on a period correct magneto for the 216. Taking a  GM 6 cylinder mag and using the base of a stock distributor . I'll post pictures

im far from done ,we all agree now in the shop that it's cool and if I could shift it faster I'll teach those ford flatheads a lesson.  Where's that t5 and adapter kit I bought from Dave at vintage metals. Right at 20 miles to the gallon. Will post some engine and body picture

• Like 2

John.....gidday from oz, it sounds like a nice Plymouth you have there.........any pics?.........especially would like to see the engine as it appears to be what I was aiming at when I was building the 230 for my 41 Plymouth, unfortunately sold the engine & car before installation but still have the 40 Dodge...heres a pic of the Plymouth, 230 engine  and the 40 Dodge.......regards Andy Douglas 

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

4 hours ago, JOHN EDGE said:

I've enjoyed these past 8 pages some great some not so. New to sight and a first time builder of flat head Plymouth 6 but much experience with ford v8 flat heads and almost everything else. I bought this 1952 Plymouth suburban out of Adele brown's car collection in Salt Lake City. 44672 miles very nice car but I had plans

it arrived at our shop on a Friday night and my partner meet me for breakfast the next morning. I knew he wonder what was I thinking and what was l planning. You see our shop has produce 29 feature usac wins 2 owner of the year awards in usac 3 NHRA national event wallys(super stock/alcohol funny car/Nitro funny car) multi class wins at Indy, bonnieville with our 32 roadster over 200 mph. You get the idea so when this 218 cid 90 horsepower vehicle I was the blunt of many jokes but I like many of you have grown to love this mayflower. This car now draws more looks than some of our high dollar builds and I love it. The car is the same 100 percent stocker that arrive 10 month ago but she is now Cinderella at the ball .   Detroit Eaton lowering springs front /rear, fatman dropped uprights,fatman front shock kit, Coker wide whites,1957 caddy eldorado hub caps, Neil riddle from Seattle has helped me beyond words. I want to use and find as many factory upgrades and parts to keep it true to it heritage. Radio,clock,back up lights,rear arm rest,stainless belt moldings,door handle key guards,rear fender gravel guards, tailgate inner and outer hinges and handles factory chrome all OEM and most nos but I took some libertys with the engine bored .040 , edgy polished head,offy polishish intake,dual carter carbs 2barrels,tom Landon's linkage and air cleaners,tom's  exhaust manifolds, otb full flow oil filter system,otb fuel filter,otb dip stick, champion aluminum radiator,chrome 6 volt posi ground alternator , dual 6 volt optima battery's , custom fan shroud , etc. don garlits picked it as the best vintage mopar at this year mopar show at his museum. I just returned from Atlanta Autorama with the best wagon beating several nomad wagons.  Over 1000 miles and no hickups with overdrive and 3.70 gears . So go for speed and durability.  Working with tony at Ross Engines (Rodders journal) on a period correct magneto for the 216. Taking a  GM 6 cylinder mag and using the base of a stock distributor . I'll post pictures

im far from done ,we all agree now in the shop that it's cool and if I could shift it faster I'll teach those ford flatheads a lesson.  Where's that t5 and adapter kit I bought from Dave at vintage metals. Right at 20 miles to the gallon. Will post some engine and body picture

Congratulations on all the awards. Sounds like quite the car. Can you expand on the full flow oil filter system? Did you modify the stock oil pump to convert to full flow? Photos would be great.

Is this the T-5 adapter you have? I would like to see photos of it. http://vintagemetalworks.blogspot.com/p/t5-to-dodge-218230.html 

Yes it's that adapter. Looks at several different  kits available but his seemed the most straight forward and I like the fact of retaining so much of the factory  clutch linkage/starter  Dave's a nice guy and he's got a neat Plymouth roadster with a flathead six

image.jpeg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Yes it's that adapter. Looks at several different  kits available but his seemed the most straight forward and I like the fact of retaining so much of the factory  clutch linkage/starter  Dave's a nice guy and he's got a neat Plymouth roadster with a flathead six

image.jpeg

Looks very good. Is that a full flow filter or a by-pass filter? Full flow being 100% of the oil passes through the filter before it goes to the engine bearings. If the filter oil supply comes  from the oil galley then it is a by-pass filter. It appears your batteries are connected parallel so you are still running a 6 volt system. What is the extra air filter mounted on the firewall used for?

That extra  air filter is that vent for the dip tube that your not fond of. And yes the battery's are wired for a parallel  wanted to keep the system intact

image.jpg

• Like 1

John, nice looking car & engine.......we only got 4dr sedans and some oz grown Utes here in Oz.......whats a dip tube?............haven't heard that term before....is it something to do with the road draft tube/PCV setup?(just saw your reply on the other thread re the Dip Tube.....answered my question......thanks).........btw do you know that the mopar V8 alloy thermostat housing fits the Edgy Head, I was gunna use it instaed of the stock style ones as the V8 ones can be got polished and engine bay bling is always good......lol......also I see you have a Fulton 1000 series visor, same as what I had on my Plymouth.......in keeping with the bling discussion you can polish the Fulton end brackets as they are alloy and polish up nicely......you can see the shiney ones on my car........and finally how do you find the standard Fulton centre bracket, I was worried that it would not be strong enough especially when passing trucks so I made a much more substantial bracket out of stainless steel and found that it cut down any movement......... I also left the underneath of the Visor the grey primer as the upholstery was a grey vinyl and the painted visor area blended into the roof lining when seated in the car.........I used a piece of allthread and used chrome acorn nuts on each side.......theres that bling again..........lol..........regards, andyd.    

IMG_1358.JPG

Edited by Andydodge

Thanks for the insight on the  thermostat housing I'll look into that. The Fulton on my wagon is an aluminum one and I've had no problems with it.  On our shop truck I did modify a steel one to be proportional with the chopped top and we made custom brackets

image.jpg

image.jpg

While the topic is performance, conversations can wander and a few posts digressing into Fulton or fulton style visors does not seem unreasonable to me. I assume the main topic will be resumed without further complaints to the moderators. . .

• Like 2

I am collecting my 41 windsor with its new twin exhaust split manifold and 3 carb set up intake manifold.The centre carb has been swapped to the original carb with the electrical connection to the gearbox.It has a flat spot just on transition but seems to run fine.First test drive will be interesting to say the least!

• Like 1

Sorry for the diversion into Fulton visors but I'm working on a magneto for my 218 using some period correct six cylinder magnetos off other  engine designs and adapting it to a Plymouth distributor. I'm a little concern with smallness of the factory distributor drive shaft. The hei conversions are very functional but I think a joe hunt mag would killer with this engine. If anyone has seen and knows of a flathead 6 equipped a mag I'd love to hear from them

47 Dodge 1/2 ton project. Slightly outdated photos but since this is a performance thread I figured it was better to post the engine vs the exterior. Plan is to get it running with 12v conversion, 5 speed, and slant 6 dist. Hopefully that'll be done this summer. Then next summer dual exhaust with either dual 1 barrels or a 2 barrel. 

IMG_20170409_161312.jpg

IMG_20170409_172405.jpg

• Like 2

On May 6, 2017 at 2:58 AM, JOHN EDGE said:

image.jpeg

I didn't know that Langdon had polished air cleaner covers available in addition to the brushed version. These look cool! 

I have the brushed set, might have to get some of these for show days, lol!

Those are Langdon air cleaners but I spent some time with polisher/buffer

if you don't mind get dirty it's amazing how good stuff can look but it will 

take stuff right out of your hand and ruin it too

the oil filter set up is a OTB unit

13 hours ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Those are Langdon air cleaners but I spent some time with polisher/buffer

if you don't mind get dirty it's amazing how good stuff can look but it will 

take stuff right out of your hand and ruin it too

the oil filter set up is a OTB unit

Aye... Aluminum does polish up quite well and you can cut it quickly with a buffing wheel. And yes, if you're not careful around edges of the piece and such the wheel will take it from you and send it across the shop! It looks like you did a little buffing of the head too...

The head and offy intake was done by a fellow out Michigan he does a lot stuff that's shown at the Detroit Autorama. He's good and reasonable.  The small stuff I did myself