Installing manual fuel pump 1953 dodge

Geekay

I am having difficulty re-installing the fuel pump after servicing the diagphagm. The difficulty is in getting the lever over the cam lobe and push it in place to install the 2 bolts.  Because it is a very awkward position belwo the manifolds...working from underneath seems to give the best access but I still cannnot manage it.  Used the hand crank to to turn engine and cam so that the lobe was not in play but still no go.....perhaps I need soemone with smaller hands who can get access better.  Considered asking wife but quickly dismisssed this as I just want the satisfaction of doing it myself.  She has small hands, which can have other advantages too. ;)

So those experienced people out there..if there is a tip...PLEASE!!!

On the positive side I have it running!! :)  :D  :D see my other post.

Thanks Don..yeah, maybe I am just weak.

And, yes, you picked up on my oblique reference to girls with small hands...in my case, it is a necessity.

Edited by Geekay

Try starting one bolt and then pivoting it into place to get the second started. Also helps to use some gasket goo to have it firmly stuck to either the block or the pump so you don't have to fight that at the same time.

having done this last summer....it's NOT easy...it plain sucks...very awkward if you are on your back on a creeper.  I started one bolt then the other and used the bolts to draw it on.  The trick is to get the lever compressed enough to start the bolts.....

When you're installing the pump into the block, hug the inner block wall with the end of the pump actuating arm to make sure that it isn't  slipping to the underside the cam.   Been there and done that.  Mike

After the last time I had to replace one in the truck, I now have made up some studs and keep them with my "spare" pump. They are just pieces of threaded rod the same size as the mounting bolts, but slightly longer. The "next" time I will thread the studs into the block and set the pump in place, then draw it in with nuts. Once it is tight I could remove one nut/stud combo and replace it with a bolt, and repeat on the other one.

I haven't tried it yet to know how well it works, but that's my plan if I have to do one again.

Merle

• Like 1

After the last time I had to replace one in the truck, I now have made up some studs and keep them with my "spare" pump. They are just pieces of threaded rod the same size as the mounting bolts, but slightly longer. The "next" time I will thread the studs into the block and set the pump in place, then draw it in with nuts. Once it is tight I could remove one nut/stud combo and replace it with a bolt, and repeat on the other one.

I haven't tried it yet to know how well it works, but that's my plan if I have to do one again.

Merle

Thanks Merle. I woondered too if this might help and might give it a try.

At least now I know it's not just my clumsy inability to do this seemingly simple task.

Thanks others too for guidance.

My mother always told me to marry a girl with small hands. That is another story but small hands will not help to install the fuel pump.

Well Don after changing your diaper for all those years I guess your mom knew what you really needed to look for in a woman.

Hank  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

also as an added..be sure that the cam is rotated to the base of the lobe when installing...though this is not spelled out in the manual..it does pictorially show this in figure three of my repair manual

I found this to be the secret, I just cranked it over, crawled under found it was too hard to thread a bolt, cranked it a second time and it just threaded right on, only a bit of a draw towards the bottom of the threads. The cam is compressing the fuel pump actuator from all in, to all out.

Merle

Hey , thats an old racers trick Merle....nice. lol

I use long threaded bolts with washer nuts and different length tubes to do the same thing on my 408 (360 engine). 

I use it on the starter, fuel pump, and a few misc areas on the suspension (independent rear suspension 97 thinderbird)    

48D

Edited by 48dodger

At least on these engines, there's no dang push rod! Last time changing the pump on my Chevy 283 I screwed up big time and tightened the pump misaligned with the rod, and bent the rod. I finally realized my flub when the motor wouldn't start... :-/

I found this to be the secret, I just cranked it over, crawled under found it was too hard to thread a bolt, cranked it a second time and it just threaded right on, only a bit of a draw towards the bottom of the threads. The cam is compressing the fuel pump actuator from all in, to all out.

Thanks Plymouthy and bach et al. Fortunately I have the manual crank handle and found that if I lie under the trcuk, shine a torch in the hole to watch the cam, I can turn the crank with my leg :rolleyes: until the lobe is not in play.  Must look a bit strange but it works. Yesterday cut a new gasket and glued it on, making sure the holes in gasket give plenty of room for bolts to slip through. Today is fitting day and I will emplot all the tips given.  Thanks everyone.

At least with the Fargo in the early restoration phase if something doesn't work and I get cranky :angry: there are plenty of other areas I can "attack"

Yesterday I removed the horn and dismanted it. It wasn't working and i found out why...full of grass seeds and dust.  Cleaned it up, cut a couple of gaskets, and "hey presto".....I was expecting a road runner "meep meep" but it is more of a sick honk...like if youwhere strangling a goose (not that I have ever done that of course :P .

Cheers to you all in the US of A.

Edited by Geekay

Geekay;

Be sure to use a bit of thread sealer like Permatex #2 on the bolts holding the fuel pump in place. They may leak oil with out this treatment.

There is a adjuster on the horn which tends to be a bit sensitive. Helps to keep it on the bench until it is working the way you want it to. Make small adjustments until you get the "meep meep". ;)

Jeff

Finally the pump is working. :)

I used all the various tips given, and added one of my own.

I found that by griding a point on the bolts made it easier to get them in the hole and started.

Yeah!!!

Geekay;

Be sure to use a bit of thread sealer like Permatex #2 on the bolts holding the fuel pump in place. They may leak oil with out this treatment.

There is a adjuster on the horn which tends to be a bit sensitive. Helps to keep it on the bench until it is working the way you want it to. Make small adjustments until you get the "meep meep". ;)

Jeff

Adjuster?  Where is it , what does it look like?

And thanks for the tip re sealer.

. . . Yesterday I removed the horn and dismanted it. It wasn't working and i found out why...full of grass seeds and dust.  Cleaned it up, cut a couple of gaskets, and "hey presto".....I was expecting a road runner "meep meep" but it is more of a sick honk...like if youwhere strangling a goose (not that I have ever done that of course :P . 

This link is for the older Klaxon horns made by Delco before Chrysler switched suppliers in 1935 but I think the principles are basically the same. The adjustment is very touchy, only a small adjustment between tries and lock the adjust screw down before trying. http://www.ply33.com/Repair/horn

I would suggest for testing you need more than a battery charger too. Mark and I both experienced horns that worked on the charger and then when installed on a truck needed to be readjusted.

• 2 weeks later...

... and bent the rod. I finally realized my flub when the motor wouldn't start... :-/

When I did my rebuild I put the bolts back in the block so I wouldn't loose them and I'd have the right one's. When I put the flywheel back on, of course I had to manually turn the crank in order to tighten all the bolts. Trouble was that I had also tightened the fuel pump bolts and they were nice and snug against the block. When I turned the crank over the cam bent one of the fuel pump bolts. As I remember, I had the cut off the bolt from the inside of the block with a hacksaw... :huh:

Edited by Jim Shepard