overused Phrases and words that have lost their meaning

Don Coatney

I'm veering further off-topic in this off-topic thread, with expressions which reveal the opposite of what they say. 

We can start with "They say that I'm paranoid, but that's because they hate me."

We can go on:

Actually overheard in a talk to a worker about the worker's failure to recognize personal shortcomings: "I'm not in denial." 

Some more which I came up with:

"He says we have a failure to communicate, but I don't know what that is supposed to mean."

"They say that I'm non-committal and indecisive, but I don't know about that."  

"You say that I'm argumentative, but you're wrong about that."

Some one else can run with this, step up to the plate, hit it out of the park, etc. 

... Perhaps a phrase that should be kept in mind -"Don't take the bait !"   :)  

I have been following and enjoying this topic.  I have had a few laughs from some of the posts.

I have to tell you guys that this forum, typos and all, is the best kept and easy to read of all I belong to!

Here is a small sample of what I get to "enjoy" on one of the other forums I belong to:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

hate to say it - but?? likely theyll go for 100 bux for the garage full!! After all - there is a new clothes sale @ jc penny!! icon_twisted.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gifaffraid.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And this is one of the tamer posts.  I am really starting to dislike emoticons!

Local guy here was an engineer. 

Most did not know that he was, because he was running a couple of local Subway Restaurants, and as a transplant to the area we did not know his background.

When the economy got a bit tough, he went back to driving trains part time. 

Subway, good job for an engineer, I guess. Subway, train, get it?

:D  Actually not too strange. Back when the govt cut back on the space program (early 80's) there were thousand of engineers out of work. I knew one making subs at Subway and another running a window at the unemployment office. I worked as a teamster and did art work on the side.

ODE TO MY SPELL CHECKER

Eye halve a spelling chequer:
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid,
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite.
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this plumb threw it.
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
Ewe can sea howl greet it woks.
  • Like 3

Don, I like you're Owed to da Spell Chequer.

Yes, the dump is now the landfill, with recycling center, and the jungle is now the rain forest.  Now we're veering into PC territory, and heaven help us.  Oh. we can't say heaven any more.  Someone may be offended.  Hell, I guess we can still say Hell.  

• Like 1

Ya know, one of the phrases, ya know, most overused by some people, ya know... 

Does that mean that you didn't know, but because I'm telling you, now you know?  Or else what I'm telling you is so obviously true, that ya know it's true, so you must be in agreement with me, ya know?   So I'm telling you so we both know that we know?  Huh? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's ironic that Don would post this. I opened it in an instant and began to peruse the enormity of it all. How fortuitous that Don would show us this plethora of misused words. I was thoroughly bemused. Irregardless of this redundant post, I am literally disinterested in the whole thing. I only wrote this in an attempt to decimate them all. Was I successful? 

• Like 1

Merle Coggins, on 24 Feb 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

It's ironic that Don would post this. I opened it in an instant and began to peruse the enormity of it all. How fortuitous that Don would show us this plethora of misused words. I was thoroughly bemused. Irregardless of this redundant post, I am literally disinterested in the whole thing. I only wrote this in an attempt to decimate them all. Was I successful? 

I was wondering who would be the first to use them all in a reply.....lol....