overused Phrases and words that have lost their meaning

Don Coatney

You would all go nuts working for Uncle Sam.  A meeting isn't successful unless at least one acronym is invented, at least one misused "ir-" word is spoken (i.e., "irresponsible"), a new word invented, or a topic spoken on for 10 minutes and I still don't know what is being said....

• Like 3

Dan Hiebert, on 20 Jan 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

You would all go nuts working for Uncle Sam.  A meeting isn't successful unless at least one acronym is invented, at least one misused "ir-" word is spoken (i.e., "irresponsible"), a new word invented, or a topic spoken on for 10 minutes and I still don't know what is being said....

is this pointed at me??? ... :) ...37 years of civil service...32 years military..(only three years of joint credit)...while I may not have learned patience. surely I learned tolerance...

Is dis thread bout bad grammer and spellin; or is it aboot over using phases and looseing the meaner???

"Point being"   A filler phrase that bugs me.

"Amazing"        Seems to be over used by the current crop of teenagers 

------------------------------------

And to be fair......words I over used as a punk.  "awesome" "dude" "man" "whatever" and "no way"

Often used in a sentenced together " Dude, no way man, whatever, that's awesome" ^_^

48D

Is dis thread bout bad grammer and spellin  . . . ???

I don't mind the over used words. I don't mind the quality of the spelling.

I do find it slightly insulting when folks post on web forums as if they were using an antique telegraph.

There's no capitals, there's no paragraphs, there's no punctuation except for lots of periods; and everything just runs together in a stream.

you get replies to your questions or posts which are hard to read because they look like this...just as if nobody cared whether it was difficult to read...or might be read

incorrectly due to the lack of formal punctuation and the possibility of strange word wraps on the page.

Computers have all these wonderful keys that make things look so perfect, and IMO it's a shame when people won't take the time to use them.

• Like 1

Ulu, on 21 Jan 2015 - 7:11 PM, said:Ulu, on 21 Jan 2015 - 7:11 PM, said:

I don't mind the over used words. I don't mind the quality of the spelling.

I do find it slightly insulting when folks post on web forums as if they were using an antique telegraph.

There's no capitals, there's no paragraphs, there's no punctuation except for lots of periods; and everything just runs together in a stream.

you get replies to your questions or posts which are hard to read because they look like this...just as if nobody cared whether it was difficult to read...or might be read <

incorrectly due to the lack of formal punctuation and the possibility of strange word wraps on the page.

Computers have all these wonderful keys that make things look so perfect, and IMO it's a shame when people won't take the time to use them.

Almost as frustrating as the folks that claim to be an engineer when if fact they are not.   Throwing around a lot of this and that without fact or talking paper.   This tend to confuse and muddy the waters so to speak over any other writing style.  About everyone here makes typos and such and rarely is anything even mentioned till that same person who nit picks makes a typo and then for some reason can't seem to stand the heat that is now in the kitchen. For the most part typos ware pointed out when the error is such that is creates a funny..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Yep............I agree that the English language is misused/misspelled  by many today.  Some part of it must come from schools not

placing as much emphasis on "grammar" as they did in my day.  And, many people are in such a hurry while "keyboarding"

(I think "typing" is now out of vogue)..........they cant capitalize, punctuate, or make paragraphs.  Ah well..........  

Well said Bob.

texting....that is the biggest reason kids now don't know how to spell or punctuate.

Y R U so upset bro?

What excuses do adults have?

Edited by deathbound
  • Like 1

When a woman becomes pregnant under suspicious circumstances, someone will make a snide remark about an "immaculate conception".  They mean conception without benefit of a man.  I don't intend to get dogmatic, but the misuse of this phrase bugs me. 

The term Immaculate Conception refers to Jesus' mother being conceived naturally but without original sin.  

The conception of Jesus by the Holy Spirit is called the Incarnation. 

I'll go back to my cell now. 

• Like 1

I wrote a big OT diatribe here about my jobs as an engineer. It went poof in the last system hicup & restore.

I'm not going to try and reproduce it now.

I just turned in my plans for the new Fresno Highway Patrol office. We did the new Fresno DMV which just opened.

In the past two years we also did big expansions for Fresno High, and a whole new campus (10 buildings plus a mall and a bridge) for Fresno Central HS. 

I'll post up something substantial if I can find the "introduce yourself" thread. (Every forum's got one, right?)

Ulu, on 25 Jan 2015 - 04:01 AM, said:

I wrote a big OT diatribe here about my jobs as an engineer. It went poof in the last system hicup & restore.

I'm not going to try and reproduce it now.

I just turned in my plans for the new Fresno Highway Patrol office. We did the new Fresno DMV which just opened.

In the past two years we also did big expansions for Fresno High, and a whole new campus (10 buildings plus a mall and a bridge) for Fresno Central HS. 

I'll post up something substantial if I can find the "introduce yourself" thread. (Every forum's got one, right?)

you mean this one....:

Ulu

Senior Member, have way too much spare time on my hands

Members

459 posts

LocationCenCal

My Project Cars:1947 P-15 Special Deluxe Club Coupe, mainly stock

1963 IHC Scout

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:24 AM

I apologize if I've misled anyone here about who or what I am.

Somehow I attended 14 different schools, earned almost straight A's, and yet I don't have a degree of any sort.

I was a service brat & we traveled a lot. Dad was a programmer, who started out in engineering school. I also quit engineering school to become a computer programmer in 1974. Somehow I became an engineer anyhow & I have a long string of completed projects on which I was an engineer.

Over the past 40 years I've worked in manufacturing engineering, application engineering & prototyping of metal products, and always involving computer programming. I did invent/design a couple inconsequential things which companies I worked for did patent. One was an internal form spreader for continuous concrete pipe casting. The other was a little locking device for operable windows in multistory buildings.

I've also worked in an AMC dealer, an engine re-building shop, and a heavy equipment service too. I've been fixing cars, bikes etc. since I was a kid.

For the past 20 years I've been the #4 guy with a group of consulting structural engineers. We design public schools and public buildings. I do informal calcs and formal drawings. I run the back office & train the rookie engineers in computer modeling. I built our computer networks. Literally. I made the cables up by hand. I built many of the PCs from parts.

I'm a hobbyist, I design and build things for fun. My methods are the methods of a hobbyist. OSHA would never approve.

I like my P15 better than most of the 20 or so cars which I've owned. I'll never sell it. I think it's a privilege to own it.

But it's not perfect.

Edited by Ulu, 24 December 2014 - 01:52 AM.

Nope. The one where I explain how a guy actually becomes an engineer and even teaches engineers, without having a degree.

In short, it's like OJT. Same as any plumber really.

You are an apprentice, just like every engineer with or without a degree, when he first starts out.

Our guys apprentice (We call them EIT: "engineers in training") for 5 long years after college, to become structural engineers. Even a guy with a masters or doctorate will apprentice for another engineer for some years.

My boss has a masters from Berkeley & he apprenticed at Bechtel corp. I apprenticed at Kellner Co. (now gone) and Manlift inc, and was promoted to engineer at Kawneer Co.

Santiago Calatrava is about the most famous structural engineer alive,  He had a PHD. In fact, he's so big that Universities around the world fight over who will offer him his next honorary doctorate. He has like 8 or 10 last time I looked, but he also worked as an apprentice to another structural engineer.

Also, a degree alone does not make you an engineer. i know guys with engineering degrees who don't design a damn thing in their jobs. They can call themselves engineers, but they cannot practice as engineers.

Local guy here was an engineer. 

Most did not know that he was, because he was running a couple of local Subway Restaurants, and as a transplant to the area we did not know his background.

When the economy got a bit tough, he went back to driving trains part time. 

Subway, good job for an engineer, I guess. Subway, train, get it?

• Like 1