overused Phrases and words that have lost their meaning

Don Coatney

Now you've got me started.  Pet peeve; people that don't know how to use to, too, or two.  I must stop reading this thread now.

Neil, Is that a Future Liner you have as you your avatar? I saw the Ron Pratt owned machine sell for charity on Barrett-Jackson last night. It brought four million dollars, which is at least a million less than he paid for it. That is a 20% depreciation in a short period of time. Obviously not a concern for Mr. Pratt as he had graciously donated the vehicle to a great charitable cause. I wonder what it would have sold for without the charitable deduction? Possibly less? No way to value something like that in my opinion. It is worth whatever the market will bare bear.

Headlamp Door...........Who out there is still running a whale oil lamp on the front of their car....don't let that flame gutter out we'll never make it home.

BUT that is what they are called in the parts book.  If you don't call it by THAT name..,some get bent out of shape!  In this hobby I think you do have to maintain the old nomenclature to keep everyone on the same page of the book.

• Like 1

Well you can not call it a bezel according to most popular definitions.  So what did they call it on the 42 DeSoto that actually had headlamp doors???  And by the way for your non phonetic types, sudo is actually pseudo as in that old Phil Collins song Pseu, pseu, pseudio........

...and of course there is,  "sudo-intellect". ;)  

Well you can not call it a bezel according to most popular definitions.  So what did they call it on the 42 DeSoto that actually had headlamp doors???  And by the way for your non phonetic types, sudo is actually pseudo as in that old Phil Collins song Pseu, pseu, pseudio........

Gee, I thought he was talking about a Unix computer guru: sudo (which I think stands for "super user do") is a command to give access to critical parts of a Unix operating system's features and configuration. For example:

> sudo apt-get upgrade

• Like 1

My biggest is...."Here is a picture of my wife and I" Drives me crazy how many times I hear this. From TV anchors to book authors. I've even seen it on this forum. :eek: 

I also don't like when people say,"That being said...." No crap, I just heard you say it!

These are right up there with "At the end of the day" and "Ya know"

I think there is too much political correctness in the world these days but that being said, at the end of the day, I'm just an infidel and proud of it. Ya know?  

After moderating a few different forums over the past decade or so, I gave up on caring how people spell or write, or whether their grammar is too "contemporary", sloppy, or just plain odd.

Nowadays, as long as I can understand what follks mean, I consider it a victory in communication.

But at work, if some bozo brings me a tech document with misplaced parentheses or one misspelled word,  I will give them a hard time about it.

• Like 1

EPIC...will it ever go "viral" or will it get "thrown under the buss"...and should we "collaborate" on this for a bit..I am ever so glad to be retired and away from corporate meetings...

T-10 and counting...

Funny to hear you say that, Tim. I worked at Motorola for many years (actually 6 different times, but that is a different story).  They seldom wanted me in meetings. I called a spade a spade and it usually contridicted what they were trying to sell to the troops that day. Suited me fine. I only got invited when they really did want the truth.

Yep............I agree that the English language is misused/misspelled  by many today.  Some part of it must come from schools not

placing as much emphasis on "grammar" as they did in my day.  And, many people are in such a hurry while "keyboarding"

(I think "typing" is now out of vogue)..........they cant capitalize, punctuate, or make paragraphs.  Ah well..........  

Yep............I agree that the English language is misused/misspelled  by many today.  Some part of it must come from schools not

placing as much emphasis on "grammar" as they did in my day.  And, many people are in such a hurry while "keyboarding"

(I think "typing" is now out of vogue)..........they cant capitalize, punctuate, or make paragraphs.  Ah well..........  

texting....that is the biggest reason kids now don't know how to spell or punctuate.

Y R U so upset bro?

Funny to hear you say that, Tim. I worked at Motorola for many years (actually 6 different times, but that is a different story).  They seldom wanted me in meetings. I called a spade a spade and it usually contridicted what they were trying to sell to the troops that day. Suited me fine. I only got invited when they really did want the truth.

Clearly you were a loose canon.

Or cannon, LOL

(The devil made me do it.)