overused Phrases and words that have lost their meaning

Don Coatney

"Needs of the business."  This used to mean that there was an emergency situation often when a position was needing to be filled so an employee would have to work longer or change shifts until position was filled.  Person helping company through temporary rough patch was usually well rewarded in the future: bonus, extra time off, promotion, etc.  My boss used that phrase instead of, "I'm gonna put the screws to you again, and the only recourse you have is to quit."  I finally did just that, quit!

Okay, how about I add a sub-section to this thread.

Here in "down under" (that's Australia, which actually is not under the USA) we have a pet hate:

The Americanisation of our language!!!!!! :o

Our car "boot" is soemtimes being called a "trunk".  Elephants have trunks, and even they are at the FRONT!

We have "mudguards" over our wheels, not "fenders".

Our engines have "welch plugs" not "freezers" or any other name.

Over our engines we have a "bonnet" not a "hood"

We used to have "blinkers" but now they are officially "indicators"

Aussies do not have "pick ups" we have "utes", which, if you cannot work it out, is short for Utility.

And do not get me started on football. Suddenly we have commentators talking about "quarterbacks" in our Aussie Rules Football. We have Full Backs, Centre Half Backs, Bank Flankers, Back Pockets, but NO Quarterbacks. :mad:

Better stop now before my head explodes :P

• Like 2

Okay, how about I add a sub-section to this thread.

Here in "down under" (that's Australia, which actually is not under the USA) we have a pet hate:

The Americanisation of our language!!!!!! :o

Our car "boot" is soemtimes being called a "trunk".  Elephants have trunks, and even they are at the FRONT!

We have "mudguards" over our wheels, not "fenders".

Our engines have "welch plugs" not "freezers" or any other name.

Over our engines we have a "bonnet" not a "hood"

We used to have "blinkers" but now they are officially "indicators"

Aussies do not have "pick ups" we have "utes", which, if you cannot work it out, is short for Utility.

And do not get me started on football. Suddenly we have commentators talking about "quarterbacks" in our Aussie Rules Football. We have Full Backs, Centre Half Backs, Bank Flankers, Back Pockets, but NO Quarterbacks. :mad:

Better stop now before my head explodes :P

If I could give quadrupled LIKES I would! Great posting. :D

BUT..;if it were not completely drawn and copied from the Brits...I could well give you a few of those...but when it comes to most cars you tend to use the common terminology of country of origin....so if you working on a Plymouth...face it...you have fenders not wings/mudguards...hoods and trunks to boots and bonnets..you got hubcaps and not knaveplates..

as for football...I could care less if both versions ceased to exist...we rarely kill anyone at one of our foot ball games though